OT--Huerter / Maryland | Syracusefan.com

OT--Huerter / Maryland

RF2044

Living Legend
Caught some of the Maryland / Illinois game yesterday. Two teams off to a good start. Maryland absolutely ran Illinois off of the floor. Maryland looks like a top 10-ish caliber team.They have such diversified offense compared to us, it was discouraging to watch.

Equally discouraging was seeing how Huerter's starting for them as a frosh. He didn't have a very good statistical game, but kid is really a terrific passer, and has filled out. With his size / length / versatility, he would have looked terrific in Orange. Missed opportunity there, for sure.

The weird thing about Battle and Huerter is Huerter was supposed to be the shooter and Battle was supposed to be the slasher/ballhandler, yet watching them you would think it's the complete opposite. Huerter has been great for Maryland as a secondary ballhandler, yet hasn't shot the ball well and Battle has been the better shooter.

The weird thing about Battle and Huerter is Huerter was supposed to be the shooter and Battle was supposed to be the slasher/ballhandler, yet watching them you would think it's the complete opposite. Huerter has been great for Maryland as a secondary ballhandler, yet hasn't shot the ball well and Battle has been the better shooter.

Battle's shooting splits in wins vs. losses is nuts.

He's shooting 52.5% from three in our 8 wins against scrubs (21-40)
He's shooting 20% from three in our 5 losses vs. high major teams (3-15).

I worry about how he's going to shoot in 2017 against ACC teams.

I've got a feeling it won't be pretty, based on the sample size so far (albeit limited). I hope he turns on the driving ability he was supposedly known for. Get to the line.

I've got a feeling it won't be pretty, based on the sample size so far (albeit limited). I hope he turns on the driving ability he was supposedly known for. Get to the line.

That would be terrific, but he hasn't shown it thus far, so...

That would be terrific, but he hasn't shown it thus far, so...
Through 13 games, he's taken 79 shots and 55 of them have been 3s. How has this happened?

OK... this is disgusting... Maryland will never be good... EVER... sorry, BH, but come on man... Murland??? They suck... maybe my biased view is coming through, can't be helped... but I shall never root for some low-life, smug fan of a tortoise... Yes, I know you Cuse fans have been to College hell hole park, and witnessed the absolute garbage their fans spew... the worst atmosphere I've ever encountered... and that includes VT, "the U", and Texas/OU...

Through 13 games, he's taken 79 shots and 55 of them have been 3s. How has this happened?
Waters had an article today about TB and quoted him as saying something to the extent of he feels he can always get to the basket if he needs to... but yeah, he either hasn't made a real effort to do so or just can't do it at this point...

Waters had an article today about TB and quoted him as saying something to the extent of he feels he can always get to the basket if he needs to... but yeah, he either hasn't made a real effort to do so or just can't do it at this point...

It seems like he's getting really good looks from the outside and I haven't had many issues with those shots he's taken.

It would be nice to see him drive but it seems like he's being dared to shoot instead of the defender being beaten on the drive.

so far he looks like Mookie jones to me.

It seems like he's getting really good looks from the outside and I haven't had many issues with those shots he's taken.

It would be nice to see him drive but it seems like he's being dared to shoot instead of the defender being beaten on the drive.
I have no problem with the shots he's taking either. I'm just surprised that we haven't seen a more versatile offensive game from him to this point, based on what he looked like coming out of high school.

I was expecting him to be a stat stuffer, but so far his rebounding and assist numbers are rather ordinary on a per 40 minute basis, and he doesn't get to the line much either. He certainly has the potential to get there someday, but it's asking a lot to expect him to blossom as the team enters ACC play.

You know it's a bad season when we're hoping a guy who has shown no ability or willingness to get to the basket against the colgates and cornells of the world will do so against the dukes and North Carolinas. I don't know if he'll shoot but I have little hope he'll score at the rim, unfortunately.

You know it's a bad season when we're hoping a guy who has shown no ability or willingness to get to the basket against the colgates and cornells of the world will do so against the dukes and North Carolinas. I don't know if he'll shoot but I have little hope he'll score at the rim, unfortunately.
this sums up the whole team.

we cant beat the dregs of society and now, entering the ACC...the season will be saved??

we got 5 or 6 more wins to witness...

Battle is finishing a lower percentage of his shots at the rim than Trevor Cooney. We pretty much all overrated him coming into this year.

Battle is finishing a lower percentage of his shots at the rim than Trevor Cooney. We pretty much all overrated him coming into this year.
He's only played 13 games, and I believe there's a lot more there than we've seen so far. Perhaps the light bulb will go on when he has success taking the ball to the rim against some good teams and realizes he can do it consistently. That's sort of what happened with Mali last season. We shall see though.

He's only played 13 games, and I believe there's a lot more there than we've seen so far. Perhaps the light bulb will go on when he has success taking the ball to the rim against some good teams and realizes he can do it consistently. That's sort of what happened with Mali last season. We shall see though.

I realize Battle is a freshman, but your're underselling Malachi's OOC success last year. Everyone remember's his terrible game against St. Johns, but he also averaged 14 points in Atlantis and showed an ability to get to the rim and the free throw line consistently. Malachi is a better player IMO.

I realize Battle is a freshman, but your're underselling Malachi's OOC success last year. Everyone remember's his terrible game against St. Johns, but he also averaged 14 points in Atlantis and showed an ability to get to the rim and the free throw line consistently. Malachi is a better player IMO.
You're right, Mali was a much more aggressive and confident scorer right from the start, and kept at it even when he wasn't successful, and even though he was playing alongside two very good fifth year scorers.

Battle has been a very efficient scorer to date, but he's been fairly one dimensional offensively. He seems to be playing cautiously and conservatively most of the time; when he let's it fly and has some success, I believe we'll start to see more of the player a lot of us were expecting.

OK... this is disgusting... Maryland will never be good... EVER... sorry, BH, but come on man... Murland??? They suck... maybe my biased view is coming through, can't be helped... but I shall never root for some low-life, smug fan of a tortoise... Yes, I know you Cuse fans have been to College hell hole park, and witnessed the absolute garbage their fans spew... the worst atmosphere I've ever encountered... and that includes VT, "the U", and Texas/OU...

Don't worry, they were ranked high and full of offensive firepower last year, too, and nothing much came from it.

You have to give kids time to adjust to playing against bigger, more athletic opponents. Battle was in high school last year, not prep school. That makes a difference to a lot of kids' development. Just look at Thompson and Lydon - prep kids.

You have to give kids time to adjust to playing against bigger, more athletic opponents. Battle was in high school last year, not prep school. That makes a difference to a lot of kids' development. Just look at Thompson and Lydon - prep kids.

That's a fair statement, but we've had other Jersey kids that didn't come from prep school. I think a lot of us(myself included) thought he would have had a bigger impact immediately and some people said he would be our best player.

Malachi was much better without question. Still waiting to see the 'multi-dimensional' aspect of Battle's game. So far he's a stand-still shooter. Until he develops some ballhandling and driving skills, he'll be very limited offensively.

also feels like Mal played taller than TB even though they're listed at basically the same height - probably has something to do w Mal's freakish wingspan... Battle just seems like one of the shortest 6'6 guys I've seen so far

also feels like Mal played taller than TB even though they're listed at basically the same height - probably has something to do w Mal's freakish wingspan... Battle just seems like one of the shortest 6'6 guys I've seen so far

And White is the smallest 6'7" guy I've seen.

Very weird team this year. Talented, but weird.

I assume, in general, guys are going to shoot better against worse teams, but to your point, this is such a huge difference that it is startling.

Do you know what an average difference in the splits would be for a guard? Are guys usually within 5-8%?

I assume, in general, guys are going to shoot better against worse teams, but to your point, this is such a huge difference that it is startling.

Do you know what an average difference in the splits would be for a guard? Are guys usually within 5-8%?
I haven't seen any hard data on this, but that seems like a reasonable range. The numbers for Battle are based on pretty small sample sizes, so I'm not sure if that spread will hold up over time.

Also, the spread in performance no doubt varies from player to player. Anectdotally, I remember once looking at Brandon Triche's stats in conference versus non-conference play and noting that he was pretty much the same player regardless of competition. I'd guess he would be the exception, though.