OT: Huggins salary | Syracusefan.com

OT: Huggins salary

It's a racket.

What if the NCAA were to pass a rule that college coaches can only receive free tuition (undergrad or post grad) plus expenses. No salary. Put them on a par with the kids. Wanna see how fast pay for student athetes would become the cry.

I was reading this article from an Iowa newspaper this morning. I had no idea Huggy Bear made $3 million at West Virginia. Was I just out of the loop or does that catch others by surprise?

http://hawkcentral.com/2013/03/12/s...lary-ranks-near-bottom-among-big-ten-coaches/

i believe he got a big pay raise last year and remember thinking his contract was ridiculous. i have a family member who is in tight with the wv boosters and huggybear is loved in morgantown. when they hired him, the board and boosters basically chartered a plane to manhattan and wouldn't leave until huggins agreed to come with.

worst thing about wv leaving the big east is i dont get great BET tickets anymore. it was always the best for me when wvu bowed out early.

Which is going to make it tough for Syracuse to find a great coach if Hop bolts to USC. Boeheim makes ~$1.5 million.

Which is going to make it tough for Syracuse to find a great coach if Hop bolts to USC. Boeheim makes ~$1.5 million.

disgree w this. we can afford to pay boeheim more than we do.

disgree w this. we can afford to pay boeheim more than we do.

Not sure how likely it is to double the salary for an incoming coach from that of the leaving HOF legend.

Not sure how likely it is to double the salary for an incoming coach from that of the leaving HOF legend.

if everyone used that logic, then no one would be making more than $1.5M. boeheim gets paid what he does because everyone knows he isnt leaving. whoever the next coach is, whether we pay him $1.5M or $3M, if the coach has success, we better be prepared to pay him fair market value, or su will be looking for a new coach.

if everyone used that logic, then no one would be making more than $1.5M.

that is just flat out wrong statement.

But no big deal - I am not even sure what we will pay, maybe it will be $3mil. But it is certainly something to be wary of.

It's a racket.

What if the NCAA were to pass a rule that college coaches can only receive free tuition (undergrad or post grad) plus expenses. No salary. Put them on a par with the kids. Wanna see how fast pay for student athetes would become the cry.

Huh?????

Sent using my Commodore 64

that is just flat out wrong statement.

But no big deal - I am not even sure what we will pay, maybe it will be $3mil. But it is certainly something to be wary of.

its certainly nothing to get in a pissing match over. i agree su can leverage that argument in salary negotiations with a new coach. however, i don't think the buck stops at $1.5M if the strategy is bringing in an established coach, especially since its commonly known boeheim is probably underpaid.

JB isnt greedy and never has been a high salary coach. Rest assured if he asked for $3 million a year post 2003 they would have ponied up.