OT: If you had "November 2014" in the "when will ESPN fire Simmons" pool... | Syracusefan.com

OT: If you had "November 2014" in the "when will ESPN fire Simmons" pool...

jekelish

Living Legend
...right now is a good time to go search Bill Simmons on Twitter.

Dude just went nuclear on Mike and Mike.

(Not on the show as in an appearance, but on Mike and Mike and their show specifically)

One of the NBA's issues is its coverage IMO. NBATV, TNT and ESPN all do a pretty poor job from what I can tell. Some of the guys calling games are good but the pregame and halftime stuff usually sucks and often has more to do with the personalities on set than the bball itself.

We've discussed Simmons on here before.

(Not on the show as in an appearance, but on Mike and Mike and their show specifically)
Here is the thread I started about him back in June. My thoughts about him haven't changed. He really adds nothing. He's one of these guys who likes to talk just to hear his own voice. He was good when he wrote his NBA draft day articles. After that he has gone way downhill as he hasn't had an original thought in ten years.

http://syracusefan.com/threads/is-bill-simmons-15-minutes-of-fame-almost-up.77536/

We've discussed Simmons on here before.

Here is the thread I started about him back in June. My thoughts about him haven't changed. He really adds nothing. He's one of these guys who likes to talk just to hear his own voice. He was good when he wrote his NBA draft day articles. After that he has gone way downhill as he hasn't had an original thought in ten years.

http://syracusefan.com/threads/is-bill-simmons-15-minutes-of-fame-almost-up.77536/
I know. You'll notice I commented in both of those threads. My opinion on him is the same now as it was then, too. But since he's already on the verge of suspension so quickly after coming OFF suspension, figured it was something people might be interested in.

I think he will be fine as Golic called him out and took his quotes out of context.

It's the typical National show. Greeny and Golic really aren't experts on anything besides the NFL. Their coverage of the NBA is pretty poor IMO. Simmons should do a Chris Sheridan and go on his own.

It's the typical National show. Greeny and Golic really aren't experts on anything besides the NFL. Their coverage of the NBA is pretty poor IMO. Simmons should do a Chris Sheridan and go on his own.
His contract is up this year, I believe. I wonder how many Grantland staffers he could pull with him (and if Jalen Rose would go with him) if he went out and started his own site.

based on what I am reading, you have an awfully tame definition of "nuclear"

. . . I would call it a typically Simmons act of faux bad boy self promotion

based on what I am reading, you have an awfully tame definition of "nuclear"

. . . I would call it a typically Simmons act of faux bad boy self promotion
I went with "nuclear" because, as opposed to taking on Goodell or anyone like that, he actually went after a fellow ESPN employee. That's what sets this one apart, at least for me.

I went with "nuclear" because, as opposed to taking on Goodell or anyone like that, he actually went after a fellow ESPN employee. That's what sets this one apart, at least for me.

but it was pretty tame call out, I thought. and it serves to draw eyeballs to both M&M and Simmons, so its a win/win for ESPN

#mediasavvy

but it was pretty tame call out, I thought. and it serves to draw eyeballs to both M&M and Simmons, so its a win/win for ESPN

#mediasavvy

Correct and it serves my point that a lot of the NBA coverage is more attention grabbing for the personality than it is for what is actually happening on the court. Coverage is trending this way in all sports and ESPN started it but it most obvious with NBA coverage.

Correct and it serves my point that a lot of the NBA coverage is more attention grabbing for the personality than it is for what is actually happening on the court. Coverage is trending this way in all sports and ESPN started it but it most obvious with NBA coverage.
I can't even watch the pre-, post- or half time shows any more. maybe I'm just finally turning into an old man

I listened to that Herd/Simmons segment on my way into work yesterday. Golic took it completely out on context.

So this is either on purpose to create controversy or ESPN is trying to goad Simmons into doing something like he did so they could get rid of him.

Mike and Mike is the worst radio show ever.

1. Mike and Mike are rarely ever there
2. The amount of commercials is mind boggling

Pretty much. I haven't seen it in a few years but I used to love Greenberg's teases - "up next - the most interesting thing about the weekend!" like it's some big cliffhanger and I'm just dying to sit thru a 7minute break to know his worthless opinion.

Even without the commercials I unsubscribed to the podcast, which was free because they add nothing; and I'm a radio junkie. Cowherd & SVP are at least sorta interesting, sometimes.

I listened to that Herd/Simmons segment on my way into work yesterday. Golic took it completely out on context.

So this is either on purpose to create controversy or ESPN is trying to goad Simmons into doing something like he did so they could get rid of him.
I think at the end of the day it's not going to be the former or the latter...it's going to wind up being something that ESPN will view as extremely convenient. Simmons is due for a huge payday, and he might not even re-up with ESPN. So at least this way, they can say they fired HIM, and it wasn't actually his decision to leave the company. Let's them save face when he either bolts for Fox or starts his own company.

Simmons explicitly states in his interview with Cowherd, just like you say, about not leveraging this for media, blogs, interviews etc. He said he isn't saying "this is what it is" but rather that it reminded him of the potential to be like Pujols. That was it.

Whether you like Simmons or not, in this instance, what Mike and Mike did was either a hit piece on behalf of the WWL or just a ratings grab.

I think going after Goodell was probably worse for Simmons than going after ESPN guys. The NFL has so much clout with ESPN. He's gone after Bayless before.

If he started his own company, would he still be able to do what he has built up at ESPN- Grantland, all the NBA tv work he gets, the 30 for 30? Where would he find the sponsor $ to get the talent that he has at the Grantland site? Going to Fox could be an option, but I don't see how he can go on his own and maintain close to the level of what he has now.

Let's face it, if he thinks his loss would hurt ESPN, he's mistaken. It's not as though as he's doing things that others can do.

I can't even watch the pre-, post- or half time shows any more. maybe I'm just finally turning into an old man
I think all these shows (especially the pre-game ones) have been "inspired" by the Super Bowl all-day madness. It's hard to find any off-the-field productions that are worth one's time.

im probably in the majority here but i still love simmons articles(whenever they come around) and find him amusing.. good for him for going after m&m after golic took a shot at him.

If he started his own company, would he still be able to do what he has built up at ESPN- Grantland, all the NBA tv work he gets, the 30 for 30? Where would he find the sponsor $ to get the talent that he has at the Grantland site? Going to Fox could be an option, but I don't see how he can go on his own and maintain close to the level of what he has now.

Let's face it, if he thinks his loss would hurt ESPN, he's mistaken. It's not as though as he's doing things that others can do.
ESPN pays Simmons an insane amount of money. He's by far their biggest name in terms of writers/personalities, at this point. That's not to say I dig the dude like I used to - my history with him is one I've spoken of before (personal grudge for life, yo). But I absolutely believe he could get the funding needed to start his own Grantland-esque site and most of his writers would follow him, and I think he'd easily get the sponsorships necessary to keep it running.

ESPN pays Simmons an insane amount of money. He's by far their biggest name in terms of writers/personalities, at this point. That's not to say I dig the dude like I used to - my history with him is one I've spoken of before (personal grudge for life, yo). But I absolutely believe he could get the funding needed to start his own Grantland-esque site and most of his writers would follow him, and I think he'd easily get the sponsorships necessary to keep it running.

Thanks for the insight...do you think those sponsors would support him when he pulls his spoiled brat meltdowns? I think he'd find that it might be a little tougher out on his own as many casual readers might not bother finding their way to his new home.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom