OT: Interesting sports story with a Syracuse connection... | Syracusefan.com

OT: Interesting sports story with a Syracuse connection...

Has to be, right?
Not necessarily. There are several Burdick families in the Syracuse area. Arnie Burdick is of no relation to the Burdicks who own the car dealerships, for example.

CTO, if you're really interested to know, I can find out. I used to provide home care to Arnie's late brother, Dr. Daniel Burdick, who was an amazing surgeon and an even more amazing person. I can e-mail one of his daughters and ask if there is a relation.

Not necessarily. There are several Burdick families in the Syracuse area. Arnie Burdick is of no relation to the Burdicks who own the car dealerships, for example.

CTO, if you're really interested to know, I can find out. I used to provide home care to Arnie's late brother, Dr. Daniel Burdick, who was an amazing surgeon and an even more amazing person. I can e-mail one of his daughters and ask if there is a relation.
Thank, Bortukal. I am curious. Aslo, this is such a neat story for the Post-Standard. If they write it, I would hope they would say whether or not he was related to Arnie.

Thank, Bortukal. I am curious. Aslo, this is such a neat story for the Post-Standard. If they write it, I would hope they would say whether or not he was related to Arnie.
I sent an email and I'll post when I get a response. You're right; this story would be a good one for Sean Kirst to pursue, even if the Arnie connection doesn't pan out.

Jefferson R. Burdick graduated from SU in 1922 and became an electrician, in addition to creating the definitive catalog on trade cards. His parents were William Henry Burdick & Mary Nann Burdick of Central Square with a sister Beatrice Burdick Watkins. This link takes a little while to load but shows no spouse for JR.

And not that it's integral to the story, but the article also mentions Truxton's John McGraw.

Good find cto.

The Syracuse newspapers have written a number of stories about Jefferson over the years. Really interesting character. Kirst wrote about him in a column in 1993 and attended a ceremony in NYC honoring Jefferson last year.

As Shenexon says, Jefferson's family comes from Central Square. According to this, Arnie's mom whose maiden name was Bessie Cohen, was born in Buffalo in 1879. His dad Joseph was the son of Samuel Burdick. They came over from Prussia/Eastern Europe circa 1892.

Looks like Jefferson's ancestors were in the US from the 1790s.

If they are related, it is a very distant relationship...

Good find cto.

The Syracuse newspapers have written a number of stories about Jefferson over the years. Really interesting character. Kirst wrote about him in a column in 1993 and attended a ceremony in NYC honoring Jefferson last year.

As Shenexon says, Jefferson's family comes from Central Square. According to this, Arnie's mom whose maiden name was Bessie Cohen, was born in Buffalo in 1879. His dad Joseph was the son of Samuel Burdick. They came over from Prussia/Eastern Europe circa 1892.

Looks like Jefferson's ancestors were in the US from the 1790s.

If they are related, it is a very distant relationship...
Tom... Nice Sean Kirst column that you linked here. Even more interesting than the NYT article.

Tom... Nice Sean Kirst column that you linked here. Even more interesting than the NYT article.
Almost any Sean Kirst column is at the very least "nice." He has promoted more thinking and emotions for me than any other writer. 'Still read him online since moving from the Syracuse area.

CTO, Tomcat is correct. I heard back from Dr. Burdick's daughter a little while ago. As far as she knows, there are no familial ties to Jefferson's line of Burdicks. Being Arnie's niece, she would most certainly know if there was an association.

Still, it's a cool sttory.

CTO, Tomcat is correct. I heard back from Dr. Burdick's daughter a little while ago. As far as she knows, there are no familial ties to Jefferson's line of Burdicks. Being Arnie's niece, she would most certainly know if there was an association.

Still, it's a cool sttory.
Thanks, Bortukal. Not having heard of any other Burdicks, I had assumed there may be have been a connection. Reminds me of an odd story. Down here in CT, I am friends with two different families from Syracuse named Curtin. Oddly, they are not related. Go figure

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom