OT (ish) - ACC now considering NYC for conf tourney | Syracusefan.com

OT (ish) - ACC now considering NYC for conf tourney

Hmmm...interesting. They are considering NYC, but turned down Atlanta's Georgia Dome "because of the ACC's preference to place future tournaments in more traditional basketball arenas instead of domes." But MSG would be considered a traditional basketball arena.

Don't understand why they would consider Tampa or Washington D.C. though...

I'm less curious about whether they want to (they definitely do, let's not kid ourselves) or whether they can pull it off (off course they can, the Big East will be a fart in the wind in a few years) ... and much more curious about how much pushback this would get from the influential ACC members and blue bloods, because that will really determine whether it happens & how often. If they go the stubborn "we aren't bending over for the newbies!" approach then it might happen once every 3-5 years at most ... but if they are open-minded, appreciate basketball, & have half a brain they'll do it at least every other year.

They are considering NYC, but turned down Atlanta's Georgia Dome "because of the ACC's preference to place future tournaments in more traditional basketball arenas instead of domes." But MSG would be considered a traditional basketball arena...
BS

Last year's tournament didn't even fill half of Philips Arena.
The ACC is too small time for the Georgia Dome.

Confirming that MSG does have an interest in the ACC and vice versa...Interestingly, the ACC can split from Greensboro relatively easily if it chooses to do so. This is first piece of info to come out of meeting and there will be more soon.

I'm less curious about whether they want to (they definitely do, let's not kid ourselves) or whether they can pull it off (off course they can, the Big East will be a fart in the wind in a few years) ... and much more curious about how much pushback this would get from the influential ACC members and blue bloods, because that will really determine whether it happens & how often. If they go the stubborn "we aren't bending over for the newbies!" approach then it might happen once every 3-5 years at most ... but if they are open-minded, appreciate basketball, & have half a brain they'll do it at least every other year.
they will flip with the $8.00-$10.00 beers

Wonder if MSG has changed its thinking on an ACC rotation since the Catholic schools bolted. I guess MSG would be interested in hosting the Big Priest tourney but I can't see them being interested in hosting the football leftovers conference tourney with the likes of Tulane, UCF, SMU, Houston etc. Other than UConn games the place would be near empty. Barclay Center is committed to the A-10 for the next 5 years. Prudential Center in Newark is a nice arena in a terrible area and not real convenient to NYC. If they held it there once, the NC, VA, SC folks would never want to go back. Izod in the Meadowlands is a nice arena but not that convenient to get to and there isn't much in the surrounding area. Putting it in the Verizon Center in DC would be good. It's easy to get to (you can take Amtrak from NY), not unrealistically far and its reasonably close to a lot of the schools. Prefer that to having it in Greensboro every year. I wouldn't mind a rotation alternating annually between Greensboro, DC, and MSG.

Can MSG get out of its 10 year deal with the Big East? They should be able to considering the portion of the league they were expecting to help fill the Garden is breaking off. What's left? UConn and?

Don't understand why they would consider Tampa or Washington D.C. though...

While MSG would obviously be my first choice because there's simply nothing that compares to it, the Verizon Center would be far and away my 2nd choice for the ACC tourney site. Very accessible, tons to do, can get around via mass transit (as opposed to being an arena in the middle of an enormous parking lot).

they will flip with the $8.00-$10.00 beers

The worst thing about Syracuse's move to the ACC is that all ACC sporting events ban the sale of alcohol. I would gladly pay $10 for a beer at MSG rather than go without. I am anticipating a shortage of flasks around the start of football season in Syracuse.

The worst thing about Syracuse's move to the ACC is that all ACC sporting events ban the sale of alcohol. I would gladly pay $10 for a beer at MSG rather than go without. I am anticipating a shortage of flasks around the start of football season in Syracuse.

I was under the impression that it is up to each individual school on wheather to sell beer. Syracuse will continue to sell alcohol at the dome

I was under the impression that it is up to each individual school on wheather to sell beer. Syracuse will continue to sell alcohol at the dome

This is correct. TGD addressed it awhile ago.

Can MSG get out of its 10 year deal with the Big East? They should be able to considering the portion of the league they were expecting to help fill the Garden is breaking off. What's left? UConn and?
yes they can; contract as I was told, can be rewritten/dissolved based on substantial change in BE conference teams...and that is true now.

NC St. last year, beer available before and after game only.