OT: Jabari Parker to Michigan State... | Syracusefan.com

OT: Jabari Parker to Michigan State...

jekelish

Living Legend
That's not the headline really, what is funny is that he is set to announce today on ESPNU, but a Michigan State website (I believe its the Lansing paper's website) has already published an entire article about his commitment to Sparty.

Just saw it linked on Twitter.

Oops.

Seth Davis just posted that this paper also published a story saying he's going to Duke today. Someone is getting fired at this paper/website.

Seth Davis just posted that this paper also published a story saying he's going to Duke today. Someone is getting fired at this paper/website.

Its the new journalism they increased readership by appealing to both MSU and Duke fans.

Impressive communication for that paper/website. My turn... BYU
Blind_Darts_cropped.jpg

Watching this announcement, I will say, this kid seems really humble and just comes across as a nice kid.

And he's going to Duke, officially.

Watching this announcement, I will say, this kid seems really humble and just comes across as a nice kid.

And he's going to Duke, officially.

Bleeecchhh...your ruined the first part of your post with the second about dook...

Do we have any schollies left?
Well, there are 13 scholies total...

MCW (we can probably subtract this one)
CJ
Rak
DC2
BMK
Silent G
Grant
Cooney
Roberson
Patterson
Ennis
Johnson
Obokoh

Unless I'm forgetting someone, yes, we have 1 scholarship open, assuming MCW leaves.

Well, there are 13 scholies total...

MCW (we can probably subtract this one)
CJ
Rak
DC2
BMK
Silent G
Grant
Cooney
Roberson
Patterson
Ennis
Johnson
Obokoh

Unless I'm forgetting someone, yes, we have 1 scholarship open, assuming MCW leaves.

Wow...first in a while there will be not be a scholly for a walk on...Doesn't JB usually give one out (if he has one) every year to a walk on?

Actually let's say someone else leaves, and then we can scoop up Andrew Wiggins in addition to Dakari and have the top class in the country.

EDIT: By the way, if we land Wiggins, I propose he starts at the 2 for us next year (unless CJ leaves, then he slides to the 3). He's been compared to McGrady by several scouts I've seen, so it sounds like he has the ability to play that position.

Paul Biancardi at ESPN calls Parker "a dilemma guy" because he is so difficult to defend:

Parker is 6-foot-9 with a nearly 7-foot wingspan. Combine that with a soft touch, excellent handle and the ability to see the game unfold and react to it with an advanced maturity, and that’s what makes him special. With that type of physical and mental makeup, I call him a dilemma guy.

When you play against Parker right now and in college, who do you defend him with? If you defend him with a player to match his size, which means a power forward or even a center, he will simply move away to the high post or the 3-point line to shoot it, drive it, set a ball screen or help the offensive flow by reversing the ball or executing a dribble handoff. The opposing big man better be mobile enough to take away the shot and anticipate the drive by Parker. Plus, having a big man covering Parker away from the basket will open the lane for his teammates to drive and post up more.

Now go the other way and try putting a big guard on him -- someone who is ultra-athletic but a bit smaller who can take away his space when shooting or driving the ball. Parker’s instincts will immediately take over and he’ll recognize the mismatch and go into the low post or midpost game and score.

Syracuse, who will likely be co-favorites with Duke to win the ACC next year, is one team that is well suited to defend Parker. First of all, with the zone, we don't have the exact dilemma that Biancardi describes, plus which the wing defenders in next year's zone will be long, athletic and experienced. Even if the Orange were to suddenly begin playin man, both CJ and Jerami Grant are well suited physically to match up with Parker. I also think that Grant is a blossoming star who will give Parker a serious run for his money as best SF in the ACC next year.

I also think that Grant is a blossoming star who will give Parker a serious run for his money as best SF in the ACC next year.

If this is true then I think we won't be co favorites with Duke.

If this is true then I think we won't be co favorites with Duke.
except that, as with MCW this year, Orange fans will be the only ones who will see it coming, and that will be reflected in the pre-season polls.

Paul Biancardi at ESPN calls Parker "a dilemma guy" because he is so difficult to defend:

Syracuse, who will likely be co-favorites with Duke to win the ACC next year, is one team that is well suited to defend Parker. First of all, with the zone, we don't have the exact dilemma that Biancardi describes, plus which the wing defenders in next year's zone will be long, athletic and experienced. Even if the Orange were to suddenly begin playin man, both CJ and Jerami Grant are well suited physically to match up with Parker. I also think that Grant is a blossoming star who will give Parker a serious run for his money as best SF in the ACC next year.

Except we'll all be gnashing our teeth at this time next year when C.J. gets most of the minutes at the three while Grant either sits or plays the role of undersized power forward.

Except we'll all be gnashing our teeth at this time next year when C.J. gets most of the minutes at the three while Grant either sits or plays the role of undersized power forward.

I'm super impressed by what I have seen of Grant this year so far. It will be interesting to see how JB applies him next year with Triche and Southerland both gone and maybe MCW. I doubt he will sit much. I expect his impact to be too strong by then.

I'm super impressed by what I have seen of Grant this year so far. It will be interesting to see how JB applies him next year with Triche and Southerland both gone and maybe MCW. I doubt he will sit much. I expect his impact to be too strong by then.

I think he's going to be fantastic. I also think that some of us are going to be impatient about how long it takes for him to get regular minutes.

I wholeheartedly agree with you about Grant. I think he may be the next lottery early entrant from Syracuse (2014) after MCW. I have really liked what I have seen in the short stints he's had opportunity.

if Roc makes the early leap, then the starting forwards will be CJ and JG - and CJ will continue in his role as undersized 4

if Roc stays, then JG will step into Dirty's role as star sixth man . . . either way, he will get a ton of minutes and a ton of recognition.

if Roc makes the early leap, then the starting forwards will be CJ and JG - and CJ will continue in his role as undersized 4

if Roc stays, then JG will step into Dirty's role as star sixth man . . . either way, he will get a ton of minutes and a ton of recognition.

The first part is an interesting idea; you may be right - I hadn't thought of the possibility of more Fair at the four.