OT - Len Bias would be 50 today | Syracusefan.com

OT - Len Bias would be 50 today

cocainesahellofadrug.jpg

I'm not too familiar with him, but from what I've read he had crazy potential. Was talked about in Bill Simmon's "book of basketball" a bit.

Who would you compare his game too?

I'm not too familiar with him, but from what I've read he had crazy potential. Was talked about in Bill Simmon's "book of basketball" a bit.

He was a lot like jordan in college but much stronger and a better rebounder. He wasnt as smooth as MJ but was more physical but still offensively proficient. The celts would have won 5 more titles had he not passed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He was a lot like jordan in college but much stronger and a better rebounder. He wasnt as smooth as MJ but was more physical but still offensively proficient. The celts would have won 5 more titles had he not passed.

Here's what always gets left out when statements like this made. Even if he didn't pass, there's a better than average chance he would have gotten caught up in the coke era of the 80s like so many others. So many others squandered so much talent that I don't know why it's bias is always talked about in the context of not being high.

I remember him as more of a Billy Owens college era smooth type than an MJ.

Here's what always gets left out when statements like this made. Even if he didn't pass, there's a better than average chance he would have gotten caught up in the coke era of the 80s like so many others. So many others squandered so much talent that I don't know why it's bias is always talked about in the context of not being high.

Possible I suppose. Although when I watched that Len Bias special a few years ago [30 for 30?], they insinuated that it was kind of a one time thing that was out of character--and obviously cost him his life.

Last edited:
The 30 for 30 on him should be floating around somewhere. Maybe netflix?

Possible I suppose. Although when I watched that Len Bias special a few years ago [30 for 30?], they insinuated that it was kind of a one time thing that was out of character--and obviously cost him his life.

That is the story I remember as well. Only takes once...

that reminds me of a story - someone asked John Lydon (aka Johnny Rotten) what he thought Sid Vicious would be doing today if he hadn't ODed in 1979 . . . "He'd be dead," Lydon replied.

Interesting that Len Bias was born on the same day as the JFK assassination.

In terms of an historical NBA player to compare to, would Bernard King be an apt comparison? Strong upper body with a versatile inside/outside game.

Interesting that Len Bias was born on the same day as the JFK assassination.

In terms of an historical NBA player to compare to, would Bernard King be an apt comparison? Strong upper body with a versatile inside/outside game.
way more athletic than Bernard King.

way more athletic than Bernard King.

Not to hijack the thread, but would Melo and King be good comparisons? I don't remember watching King all that much but I know he was an outstanding scorer...

Not to hijack the thread, but would Melo and King be good comparisons? I don't remember watching King all that much but I know he was an outstanding scorer...
He was my favorite player. Thats a better comparison. King was far less athletic and maybe talented as Melo but IMO was more of a pure scorer given the lack of athleticism.

I've never really seen the Jordan comparison as being that valid. He was a lot bigger and didn't have the same handle. To me he was more like a Dominique Wilkins. Absolute physical specimen. A much better shooter than Wilkins at the same age though. Not much of a playmaker so not sure I see the Owens comp. I would say his top end was a better version of Wilkins, and bottom end a more athetic Glenn Robinson.

I've never really seen the Jordan comparison as being that valid. He was a lot bigger and didn't have the same handle. To me he was more like a Dominique Wilkins. Absolute physical specimen. A much better shooter than Wilkins at the same age though. Not much of a playmaker so not sure I see the Owens comp. I would say his top end was a better version of Wilkins, and bottom end a more athetic Glenn Robinson.

I was thinking about this earlier. I'd say he was a forward version (with the corresponding skills) of a Michael Jordan. Dominique is a good choice, but maybe not as flashy?

I was thinking about this earlier. I'd say he was a forward version (with the corresponding skills) of a Michael Jordan. Dominique is a good choice, but maybe not as flashy?
Agreed - Nique was flashier. Bias was efficient. At least that is how I remember him - it was a long time ago. Still remember where I was when I found out he died.