OT: Man accused of making Lockerbie bomb is in U.S. custody, authorities say | Syracusefan.com

OT: Man accused of making Lockerbie bomb is in U.S. custody, authorities say

Not sure why this is in the football thread but I must say, that profile picture of Otto is adorable my good man.

Not sure why this is in the football thread but I must say, that profile picture of Otto is adorable my good man.

Lockerbie bombing news can be anywhere if you ask me. The Joan Deppa book on 103 (professor in Newhouse) was pretty good at the Syracuse angle of things when the bombing happened, how Boeheim decided to go on with the game vs (i think) Pittsburgh.

Everyone involved in the bombing should rot in hell for eternity. if that's political so be it

Lockerbie bombing news can be anywhere if you ask me. The Joan Deppa book on 103 (professor in Newhouse) was pretty good at the Syracuse angle of things when the bombing happened, how Boeheim decided to go on with the game vs (i think) Pittsburgh.

Everyone involved in the bombing should rot in hell for eternity. if that's political so be it
I don’t even know what it is.

I did the semester abroad program in London in the early 2000s, and in one of my classes there was a field trip to Lockerbie

It was both sad and surreal. We went to the field where the plane went down. We spoke to the local police who were faced with a situation that they would never expect to encounter in a million years. In many ways I felt bad for the local residents. It was a tiny town, and they certainly were uncomfortable with all the attention. However, they understood the importance and were gracious hosts.

Edit - one other important part is 11 Lockerbie residents died from plane debris in a residential area. They had to both accept the tragedy of the bombing, and what happened on the ground. I wish the Lockerbie residents received a little more attention since they were victims too.

Last edited:

My father worked at SU for most of his career. I won't get into the details, but he always said that the two worst days of his career were September 11th and the day of the Lockerbie bombings.

I did the semester abroad program in London in the early 2000s, and in one of my classes there was a field trip to Lockerbie

It was both sad and surreal. We went to the field where the plane went down. We spoke to the local police who were faced with a situation that they would never expect to encounter in a million years. In many ways I felt bad for the local residents. It was a tiny town, and they certainly were uncomfortable with all the attention. However, they understood the importance and were gracious hosts.

I did a semester in London in the mid 90s and read the Deppa book while I was there for a class which was somewhat disconcerting because I still had not come back from London (like those poor students). We didn't have a Lockerbie side trip. I wish we did that would have been something I would have done in a heartbeat.

The London Syracuse experience was one of the best experiences of my life. I often think of those students who died in that terrorist act because that flight home for me was an incredible cherry on top. I was so excited to share the stories of my trip abroad with family/friends. I remember landing at Logan and promptly heading back to Syracuse the following day to see my frat bros and catch up on things. we didn't have internet like we do now.

I was in my senior year at SU, I was on the way to the airport and the report on the radio just said there was a plane crash in Scotland and there no other details at that time. I remember saying, great, just what I want to hear when I am going to Hancock for the short flight home. When I arrived my parents were at the gate to meet me(this was 1988) and told me there were SU students on the flight. I could see all the other SU students who were on the flight with me getting the same info from their parents and everyone just looking pale and shocked.

I don’t even know what it is.
Please read up on it. Here's a quick wiki link, but there are many sources. 35 SU students died, SU awards 35 students as Remembrance scholars each year in their memory, and there is a beautiful memorial on campus. It is a sad and dark part of the Syracuse story, but one from which a lot of good has come, especially in the form of those scholarships.

SU.jpg

Please read up on it. Here's a quick wiki link, but there are many sources. 35 SU students died, SU awards 35 students as Remembrance scholars each year in their memory, and there is a beautiful memorial on campus. It is a sad and dark part of the Syracuse story, but one from which a lot of good has come, especially in the form of those scholarships.

View attachment 223039
Thanks for posting the picture of the Memorial. My family and I stop here every single time I am on campus. It is always emotional. I go from sad, to angry to resigned (helpless?) in a matter of about 15-30 seconds. Each time. And then we usually continue our march over to The Dome. :)

I remember being on campus. Still taking exams through December 22nd. Sophomore year. I didn’t know any of the students. But my roommate was leaving for London for spring semester in a matter of weeks. The somber pall on campus those two days was unlike anything I’ve ever experienced in person.

So to wake up almost 34 years later and see we have someone in custody, let’s just say that it’s a welcome development to me and probably to many others who are now in the low to mid 50s.