OT: Mayfield vs Manziel | Syracusefan.com

OT: Mayfield vs Manziel

cuseincincy

All Conference
I admit it, I'm a fan. I like Mayfield's swagger and the way he plays the game. BUT...I have to ask about his NFL potential...how is Mayfield different than Johnny Manziel? The biggest difference I see is that Mayfield has a stronger arm but he throws so many balls off his back foot we don't see the arm that often. I'd like to see him have NFL success. I think the league needs a guy like him as long as he can keep straight off the field. As far as Manziel is concerned, I do not think his off field behavior is the reason he is not in the league. It may be part of it (like Kap) but his ability is part of it also (also like Kap). I think any team selecting Mayfield in the first round is taking a HUGE gamble.

I admit it, I'm a fan. I like Mayfield's swagger and the way he plays the game. BUT...I have to ask about his NFL potential...how is Mayfield different than Johnny Manziel? The biggest difference I see is that Mayfield has a stronger arm but he throws so many balls off his back foot we don't see the arm that often. I'd like to see him have NFL success. I think the league needs a guy like him as long as he can keep straight off the field. As far as Manziel is concerned, I do not think his off field behavior is the reason he is not in the league. It may be part of it (like Kap) but his ability is part of it also (also like Kap). I think any team selecting Mayfield in the first round is taking a HUGE gamble.

I think the biggest difference is that Baker Mayfield can thrive in a structured offense and can execute within a plan. He can definitely make things happen when things break down, but you can count on him to be able to function within an offense.

IMO, Manziel really thrived on chaos. I remember him excelling when he had to improvise. Mike Evans bailed him out on some really poorly thrown balls.

Mayfield is emotional, which is fine. I'd be more worried about his height and if his speed can translate to the NFL.

Manziel had serious issues going into the NFL across the board. Personal issues that crossed all sorts of boundaries. This was on top of his so-so NFL QB skills.

I think the biggest difference is that Baker Mayfield can thrive in a structured offense and can execute within a plan. He can definitely make things happen when things break down, but you can count on him to be able to function within an offense.

IMO, Manziel really thrived on chaos. I remember him excelling when he had to improvise. Mike Evans bailed him out on some really poorly thrown balls.

Mayfield is emotional, which is fine. I'd be more worried about his height and if his speed can translate to the NFL.

Manziel had serious issues going into the NFL across the board. Personal issues that crossed all sorts of boundaries. This was on top of his so-so NFL QB skills.
I agree. Mayfield is not looking to run with the ball unless that's the play that's called/zone read. It seemed like the coaches in the Film Room criticized him a couple of times for sticking with the play too long or trying to throw to a receiver instead of throwing it into the stands.

agreed he took several needless sacks last night rather than pitch it away. really hurt the sooners.

Manziel is an alcoholic. Hard to say its not the main reason he is not in the NFL IMHO.

I also like how Mayfield had to work so much harder to become the player he is, walking on to two teams. That work ethic will serve him well.

Last edited:
I think mikeSU02 and sufandu nailed it -- the similarities are primarily physical [both undersized]. But in terms of game, Mayfield is a much more refined prospect than Manziel ever was.

I hear that Mayfield has off the field issues, though -- so that might be another red flag.

I have zero issue with him being emotional -- that serves him well, IMO.

I really like Mayfield. Haven't seen a QB that good in a long time.

Manziel is Troy Nunes with 10 times the talent and athleticism. They were both schitzo on the field. Unfortunately, Johnny Football was schitzo off it too.

agreed he took several needless sacks last night rather than pitch it away. really hurt the sooners.
That is huge.

When your QB is more concerned about his rating and stats, it’s often to the detriment of his team and leads to personal injuries.

I know a certain pro who hates sacks and has to keep throwing it away often...

Mayfield seems to be a better passer - seems to have a stronger arm - and seems to be a better student of the game.

Manziel is Troy Nunes with 10 times the talent and athleticism. They were both schitzo on the field. Unfortunately, Johnny Football was schitzo off it too.

Nunes had an extraordinary football IQ and very little real athletic ability.

I see Manziel as Troy's polar opposite.

I see no comparison between Nunes and Manziel.

i think the mayfield vs mantel comparison is pretty lazy. As some posters said above they really only share the fact that they are short, but their body types are different and i think Mayfield has much more talent than Manziel had.

i think the mayfield vs mantel comparison is pretty lazy. As some posters said above they really only share the fact that they are short, but their body types are different and i think Mayfield has much more talent than Manziel had.
Yeah.

I think we all knew manziel had no pro talent in college...at worst with manziel, we all think he could.

If not...so be it.

That is huge.

When your QB is more concerned about his rating and stats, it’s often to the detriment of his team and leads to personal injuries.

I know a certain pro who hates sacks and has to keep throwing it away often...
I think it was more of a case he was overconfident he could get off the pass than trying to pad his stats.

meh, maybe a bit of a numbnutz
I stand corrected. I do imagine, any Friday night, more college kids, than not, are probably walking around loaded.

Any word on the eligibility of those officers? Great explosion off the line, for the officer on the far left. Furthest away, but still made the play. H3ll of a sack!

Can't wait to see his Hudl.

Last edited:
Mayfield loves football, Manziel is a drunk who only cares about booze and women.

Great comparison. There is a slight difference: BM didn't grow up with a silver spoon. That said BM, is one more off season arrest or media event away from being right there with JM. he is right there...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseVegas

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom