OT: Meet the Bag Man | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

OT: Meet the Bag Man

As much as I want to believe that article, why would any "bag man", let alone several as the author contend, admit to what he does and explain how it's done? Is he that stupid to think this wouldn't end up causing a social media storm and eventually catch the eye of the NCAA? Even if risk of action by the NCAA is tiny, why put yourself, or at least your actions, out there?

Is the NCAA going to investigate every person living in the South? There was absolutely no risk to these folks- like one guy said who's going to snitch and put themselves out of business?

Is the NCAA going to investigate every person living in the South? There was absolutely no risk to these folks- like one guy said who's going to snitch and put themselves out of business?

Why risk at all? Is it vanity?

Of course it is. I think that was clear when one guy said they don't do it to rub elbows with the coach or have their names on the stadium, but he said something like "we know who made a bigger difference in getting wins". I'm sure these guys sit back on Saturday and relish their guys making plays.

As much as I want to believe that article, why would any "bag man", let alone several as the author contend, admit to what he does and explain how it's done? Is he that stupid to think this wouldn't end up causing a social media storm and eventually catch the eye of the NCAA? Even if risk of action by the NCAA is tiny, why put yourself, or at least your actions, out there?

Where is the risk? Is he going to go to jail? The only risk is that the NCAA catches them, which is highly unlikely and for the bagmen no penalty or risk of anything. There have been far bigger scandals investigated that have gone nowhere with WAY more evidence (Nevin Shapiro) and what was the result of that, slap on the wrist.

Explaining how it is done does nothing to help the NCAA, they already know and have known for years, they just can't catch or stop it. They simply don't have the resources, time or the tools. They aren't the feds, you might as well have your local PTA investigate these guys, you would get better results.

EGO'S and the fact that they can get away with 99.9999% success rate

Do you think the NCAA would turn a blind eye if they had the resources to successfully investigate these things? I think it's less a matter of them not wanting to enforce it as it is a lack of resources and any real power to dig (subpoenas, etc).

It's not an immoral act towards the kids or for the boosters - the victim is the game itself.
The NCAA is not like the DEA. They would need an army of undercover agents to infiltrate the underground activity. It's just not practical. Unless a FedEx package filled with cash breaks open again they will never catch this stuff in the act.

Madbiker said:
The NCAA is not like the DEA. They would need an army of undercover agents to infiltrate the underground activity. It's just not practical. Unless a FedEx package filled with cash breaks open again they will never catch this stuff in the act.

For sure. It's near impossible. But I don't think by not getting after these guys, they are sanctioning the behavior.

It's life. And how the game is played, I guess. I just wish it were a purer competition. That's the ceiling for the popularity of college football. The NFL comes much closer to actual parity - where the things you have to be good at to win involve smart GM's and actual football.