OT: Mooning and Panty Raids | Syracusefan.com

OT: Mooning and Panty Raids

Anybody?

• Poll choice...

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

OrangeTim

Walk On
Off season topic. At SU in the early 60's (61-65), mooning and panty raids were diversionary "sports" that many students participated in.
Mooning could be done from frat house windows, moving cars with windows rolled down, etc. Warning: Never moon an Assistant Chancellor!
Panty raids were spontaneous efforts by students fed up with hours of studying. Crowds of running, yelling students would rush to the hill yelling Panty Raid!! Panty Raid!!
Panties would be thrown from dorm windows, collected by students an bragged about. No further contact with the thrower would happen.
This was early 60's. Anybody have other SU student "sports" during their education?

Well, I'm almost positive that there were a variety of interested student "sports" engaged in during the IRA Rowing Regatta that used to be held on Onondaga Lake, but I was drinking heavily at that time and can no longer remember them.

Well, I'm almost positive that there were a variety of interested student "sports" engaged in during the IRA Rowing Regatta that used to be held on Onondaga Lake, but I was drinking heavily at that time and can no longer remember them.
Ya Gotta Regatta. Good times

I loved IRA weekend. Even after I graduated, I came back to Syracuse a few times for it. For those who think tailgating at the LAX Final Four is the ultimate SU tail-gating experience, they should have been around when crew was the clear #3 sport at SU. Really great times. And no one realized how polluted that lake was!

Or, as Sports Illustrated once referred to it - the world's largest outdoor cocktail party.

Really great times. And no one realized how polluted that lake was!

That's because everyone in attendance was polluted. :)

Bastards in Camden stole our boat race.

Off season topic. At SU in the early 60's (61-65), mooning and panty raids were diversionary "sports" that many students participated in.
Mooning could be done from frat house windows, moving cars with windows rolled down, etc. Warning: Never moon an Assistant Chancellor!
Panty raids were spontaneous efforts by students fed up with hours of studying. Crowds of running, yelling students would rush to the hill yelling Panty Raid!! Panty Raid!!
Panties would be thrown from dorm windows, collected by students an bragged about. No further contact with the thrower would happen.
This was early 60's. Anybody have other SU student "sports" during their education?

Good to see you posting buddy.

I remember the Regatta well, so I guess I did not drink as much as you.

I remember going to the Regatta with carloads of friends during college. So much fun and so many drunk drunk people. One time I actually stopped and was watching a race from the shore when a bunch of kids passing by asked me who was winning. I had no idea so I just shrugged , laughed and kiddingly said I heard Maria Regina was in the lead. About a minute later, all those kids all started cheering (standing behind a keg of course) "Go Maria Regina". Suddenly hundreds on the shore joined in and were cheering "Maria Regina" on to an imaginary victory.

I remember going to the Regatta with carloads of friends during college. So much fun and so many drunk drunk people. One time I actually stopped and was watching a race from the shore when a bunch of kids passing by asked me who was winning. I had no idea so I just shrugged , laughed and kiddingly said I heard Maria Regina was in the lead. About a minute later, all those kids all started cheering (standing behind a keg of course) "Go Maria Regina". Suddenly hundreds on the shore joined in and were cheering "Maria Regina" on to an imaginary victory.
I believe they are located in Saskatoon.

I remember some drunk guys taking a swim in Onondaga Lake and the crowd gasping.

I grew up in the toga party and streaking age. Also, like others have said, NOTHING compared to the Regatta.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

I've often heard my uncle tell the story of trying to row Onondaga Lake picnic tables across the lake during the Regatta.

0327001010a.jpg

The village of Liverpool got great financial benefit during Regatta week. The Retreat was always jammed. They had a few items related to the event hanging on the walls. Can't imagine how much money Heid's took in that weekend. One of the most often heard comments was, "Oh there are boat races going on?" It was one rocking weekend and a great way to meet someone of the opposite sex or to just oogle at the PYT's or to get totally wasted.

ycn_part4_final.jpg

This is a photo from the 1956 Olympic Trials Finals at Onondaga Lake where the order of finish was Yale, Cornell, Navy, Washington & Wisconsin,

mallory60-09.JPG

Reclining Coxswain Kent Mitchell steers in the bow in this switch from the traditional stern seat for coxies in a George Pocock creation manned by stroke Dick Dreager [sp] and bow Conn Findlay as a Lake Washington Rowing Club entry in the U.S. Olympic Trials beginning on Onondaga Lake today.
(photo from The Post-Standard of Syracuse, New York)

Here is a news blurb announcing that the 1953 intercollegiate rowing championships will be held June 20 at Onondaga Lake for the 2nd straight year. Beneath it there is more on why it moved to Syracuse from Marietta, Ohio. Scroll to the left of that article and there is a story about Ben Schwartzwalder, the 4th year head coach at Syracuse. Talks about the formations which he ran including one he concoted himself an unbalanced wing T.

There are stories about Babe Zaharias and a college basketball event where 18,000 were expected to see George Mikan. Check out the Ellery Queen ad for Phillies cigars and the improved hole in the end. There is a story on a fight leading up to a possible matchup with Rocky Marciano.

The Sanity Code for college sport was voted down. The Big 10 was only going to play each other home and home because of the scandals that have rocked college athletics.

Phil Rizzuto is ordered to cut down on extra ciricular activities after a bout with a duodenal ulcer. Whitey Ford was just discharged from the Army & told to knock off 10-15 pounds.

Reactions: cto
Chinese fire drills at any stop sign or red light driving up the hill from Erie Blvd.

^^ OE the person in the blue in the middle of your picture is Mike Gennaro, he graduated last year and will most likely be representing the United States at the Olympics this summer, a fantastic rower and ever better guy!

It's funny you bring up the IRA regatta as it started yesterday and there are races today and tomorrow. For more info you can go here http://row2k.com/ira/. Syracuse is doing pretty well so far the races today will determine whether they are racing for 1st tomorrow or 7th. (They have to come in top 3 in their heat today to make it to the Grand Final).

I really wish they had the IRA's in Syracuse when I was rowing, it would have been amazing racing for a national championship on our home water. I think they eventually moved it down to Camden due to the unpredictability of the weather on Lake Onondaga.

My dad used to go to the regatta when he was an undergrad and he told me they would go to the racecourse the night before and bury a keg (or 3) in the ground overnight, then the next day the keg would stay cold underground because it wasn't out in the hot sun!

I really wish they had the IRA's in Syracuse when I was rowing, it would have been amazing racing for a national championship on our home water. I think they eventually moved it down to Camden due to the unpredictability of the weather on Lake Onondaga.

Syracuse had really bad Spring flooding one year, and the park was unusable. Camden offered to host the Regatta on a 1 year "temporary" basis.

They put on such a great show that Syracuse never got it back. :(

One of my favorite things about the Regatta was watching Roger Springfield (who was sports director on several Syracuse TV stations and is currently the Executive Producer of Media Content and Special Projects for SU) try to pronounce 'repechage'. :D