OT: My new neighborhood athletic power! | Syracusefan.com

OT: My new neighborhood athletic power!

cto

Administrator
Last year, Yale won the NCAA ice hockey championship ("Frozen Four"). Last night, the Yale basketball team advanced to the finals of the CIT basketball tournament and will pay for the title tomorrow night against Murray State (which was a ranked team a few years ago).

Now, if they could only play competitive football again. Tailgating originated at the Yale Bowl and it's always been one of the best tailgating scenes anywhere -- especially when there were crowds of 50-60,000. But now the bowl averages only about 12,000 per game, so the tailgating is not the same.

However, for those who've never attended a game there, I recommend it. it's a unique experience. The bowl, which will be 100 years old this year, was built in the same era as Archbold Stadium and is similar in some respects. http://www.nhregister.com/general-news/20111119/the-game-yale-bowl-facts-and-figures

I've been to a bunch of Yale vs Harvard games at the Yale Bowl. It's a great time! People get dressed up, drive classic cars and have full spreads worthy of a finemess tailgate. The Yale Bowl is in need of an upgrade but it's old school and a lot of fun.

Last year, Yale won the NCAA ice hockey championship ("Frozen Four"). Last night, the Yale basketball team advanced to the finals of the CIT basketball tournament and will pay for the title tomorrow night against Murray State (which was a ranked team a few years ago).

Now, if they could only play competitive football again. Tailgating originated at the Yale Bowl and it's always been one of the best tailgating scenes anywhere -- especially when there were crowds of 50-60,000. But now the bowl averages only about 12,000 per game, so the tailgating is not the same.

However, for those who've never attended a game there, I recommend it. it's a unique experience. The bowl, which will be 100 years old this year, was built in the same era as Archbold Stadium and is similar in some respects. http://www.nhregister.com/general-news/20111119/the-game-yale-bowl-facts-and-figures
I believe Archbold was the biggest college football stadium in the country when it was built in 1907 and held that title until the Yalies built their copy in 1914.

Syracuse has never played Yale in that stadium. Sadly, SU's all time record against the Bulldogs is 0-11. They played annually from 1902-1912.

There are some ties between the programs.

220px-Howard_H._Jones.png

Yale grad Howard Jones served as the SU HC in 1908 before returning there to coach in 1909 (he would return in 1913). Ended up one of the greatest college football coaches of the first half of the century, mostly with USC and was elected to the College Football HOF in 1951.

220px-T._A._Dwight_Jones.jpg

His younger brother Tad replaced Howard at SU and coached there in 1909-10. Also a former star player at Yale, he also returned there to coach the football team, from 1916-17 and from 1920-1927. He also was named to the College Football HOF in 1958.

Well this year Union College is going to the Frozen Four. My nephew was the goalie at Union a few years ago. He has taught the current goalie since the age of 8. He coached him on his BOston Bruins Youth elite team, and he is the reason, that the goalie, Stevens, went to Union. My nephew will be sitting right behind the bench ala CTO!!! So everyone on here needs to root for Union, please.

Maybe the ACC should take them instead of UConn. ;)

We owe them big time!!! They cost us an undefeated season in 1941, which was probably our greatest team ever.

My Dad used to take me to games when I was a kid.

It felt like walking into a time machine. I used to love it. My Dad hated paying for parking so I remember hiking to the games.

I saw Yale play Havahd in hockey in Cambridge. Good times

I attended a Yale Harvard football game at the bowl in 1979. We were high up in one of the end zones, a couple of rows from the back. Maybe my memory is completely shot, but I think it was unassigned seating. It was a really cold day and the concrete seating didn't help, but it was a great atmosphere. The crowd was 72,000 because Yale was undefeated, but Harvard won easily despite their losing record.

"The Yale Bowl." Simple, classy, I love it. Not the Amazon.com SunTrust Taco Bell Stadium presented by MasterCard.

Yale-Harvard-Game.jpg

Reactions: cto
I took my son to a Yale-Harvard hockey game at Ingalls Rink ("The Whale") this winter and it was a total blast.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom