OT: Need Suggestons on driving Syr to Brooklyn | Syracusefan.com

OT: Need Suggestons on driving Syr to Brooklyn

All American
Ok, my daughter is moving to Brooklyn (Jefferson Ave). I have zero experience driving in NYC and will likely be driving a small U-Haul.

Google suggests PA to NJ, Holland tunnel, thru lower Manhattan and over to Brooklyn.

Is there a better or "easier" route from Syracuse??

Thank you in advance to anyone who cares to comment/offer suggestions.

Brian

thruway to 17? I did both routes to and from SU during undergrad, i found the 81/380/80 route to be faster than 90/17

Ok, my daughter is moving to Brooklyn (Jefferson Ave). I have zero experience driving in NYC and will likely be driving a small U-Haul.

Google suggests PA to NJ, Holland tunnel, thru lower Manhattan and over to Brooklyn.

Brian
Holland tunnel - thru lower Manhattan - to Brooklyn would have been my suggestion. I've gone that way a few times but I am not driving on any of the trips. If you have never driven in NYC before I would try to avoid Manhattan if at all possible. This route would at least have you in Manhattan for a minimal amount of time.

If you can avoid Manhattan via Staten Island as OX suggests, I would probably give that a try.

I would also add that if you have NEVER been to NYC or at least through the Holland tunnel it is quite an experience. At least it was for me. When you come out the other side it is just amazing. I still remember the first time I did and I get goose bumps every time since.

Reactions: 007
Pick an off time to go.

1) The Pulaski Skyway is shutdown, so it'll be a bit tricky getting to the Tunnel.
2) They've been doing some work on the Holland, so there could be delays.
3) You're going to have to go down Canal Street, which is quite intense to drive down.

Pick an off time- early Saturday or early Sunday. Some time when few people are around.

007 said:

Brian

Hey 007 lived in nyc for 7 years lived in Brooklyn for two of them, (loved Brooklyn BTW) did a uhaul move back to the cuse last year and did the SYR to BK run often, 81/380/80 is the way to go. When you are about 20 minutes into Jersey across the PA border pop on AM1010 WINS on your radio for traffic every 10 mins on the 1's, by the time you get to the turn offs you will know the shortest wait time at the bridges and tunnels and turn off accordingly. The Holland is the most challenging to get to from the Syracuse angle and the Pulaski skyway is closed but it is an option. I often took the Lincoln or the George Washington and took the west side highway downtown (if not backed up) because the Holland is often jammed the worst. If the west side highway is clear and Holland is backed up 10mins more than the Lincoln take the Lincoln and then if the Lincoln is 10 min more than the George take the George because each one you are going 10mins more out of your way to avoid traffic. Best time ive done is 4.5Hrs to central BK via the holland, 5.5 or 6 is not out of the question with the uhaul. I agree with above posters choose off of rush hours definately not Monday night this weekend that will shorten the trip.

Which part of BK is your daughter living as that will impact what route bridge/tunnel you should take once you are in Manhattan? When you park the truck check the parking signs immediately traffic cops are crawling all over the city put your flashers on and double park and alternate trips so someone is always with the truck if you have to the cops do understand moving is crazy down there.

Mindset is important, Know that you will get caught in traffic somewhere in this process don't be in a rush to get around people, be fluid with your routes if you have to go around the block to make the correct turn so be it and stay assertive people will try to block you out so they can get someplace 30sec sooner.

Holland tunnel is restricted to class 3 trucks (3axle) or less your uhaul should be fine, I think they call them all "Vans" but check with the uhaul people to make sure the class. Just didn't want you to freak when you saw the no trucks symbol.

You likely can not take the uhaul on the garden state parkway or the FDR Drive/East River Drive or Onondaga lake parkway for that matter. Your car EZ pass does not usually work for the uhaul different tolls depending on size check that at uhaul when you pick up.

PM me if you need to I can give you my number.

Hey 007 lived in nyc for 7 years lived in Brooklyn for two of them, (loved Brooklyn BTW) did a uhaul move back to the cuse last year and did the SYR to BK run often, 81/380/80 is the way to go. When you are about 20 minutes into Jersey across the PA border pop on AM1010 WINS on your radio for traffic every 10 mins on the 1's, by the time you get to the turn offs you will know the shortest wait time at the bridges and tunnels and turn off accordingly. The Holland is the most challenging to get to from the Syracuse angle and the Pulaski skyway is closed but it is an option. I often took the Lincoln or the George Washington and took the west side highway downtown (if not backed up) because the Holland is often jammed the worst. If the west side highway is clear and Holland is backed up 10mins more than the Lincoln take the Lincoln and then if the Lincoln is 10 min more than the George take the George because each one you are going 10mins more out of your way to avoid traffic. Best time ive done is 4.5Hrs to central BK via the holland, 5.5 or 6 is not out of the question with the uhaul. I agree with above posters choose off of rush hours definately not Monday night this weekend that will shorten the trip.

Which part of BK is your daughter living as that will impact what route bridge/tunnel you should take once you are in Manhattan? When you park the truck check the parking signs immediately traffic cops are crawling all over the city put your flashers on and double park and alternate trips so someone is always with the truck if you have to the cops do understand moving is crazy down there.

Mindset is important, Know that you will get caught in traffic somewhere in this process don't be in a rush to get around people, be fluid with your routes if you have to go around the block to make the correct turn so be it and stay assertive people will try to block you out so they can get someplace 30sec sooner.

Holland tunnel is restricted to class 3 trucks (3axle) or less your uhaul should be fine, I think they call them all "Vans" but check with the uhaul people to make sure the class. Just didn't want you to freak when you saw the no trucks symbol.

You likely can not take the uhaul on the garden state parkway or the FDR Drive/East River Drive or Onondaga lake parkway for that matter. Your car EZ pass does not usually work for the uhaul different tolls depending on size check that at uhaul when you pick up.

Ottoble, thank you for taking the time to post those details!! It is very much appreciated. I owe you...

My daughter will be moving to Jefferson Ave near Ralph Ave (if that helps) . I think I will take you up on the PM offer. We are moving next Saturday, 5/31. Not looking forward to it

Rent your uhaul early, pack on Friday, leave Cuse NLT 0400 on Sat. Have at least three total helpers. You doing a one way Rental? If not have a parking plan.

Dont skimp on moving blankets, ratchet straps are your friend, load heavier stuff first but follow U-Hauls guidelines. Shop Harborfreight in No Syr for moving blankets, ratchet straps, etc Get coupons in Paper, magazines or online. A must to do on coupons.

Watch a youtube on working ratchet straps. These may or may not be needed. Depends on how full you will be with furniture. Big, giant black moving company rubber bands are awesome if you have some.

Holland tunnel - thru lower Manhattan - to Brooklyn would have been my suggestion. I've gone that way a few times but I am not driving on any of the trips. If you have never driven in NYC before I would try to avoid Manhattan if at all possible. This route would at least have you in Manhattan for a minimal amount of time.

If you can avoid Manhattan via Staten Island as OX suggests, I would probably give that a try.

I would also add that if you have NEVER been to NYC or at least through the Holland tunnel it is quite an experience. At least it was for me. When you come out the other side it is just amazing. I still remember the first time I did and I get goose bumps every time since.
If you do this, just know that the Verrazano is $15 bucks going into Staten Island from Brooklyn. Getting in to Staten Island from NJ will cost $12 bucks (most likely will route you to the Goethals bridge). I know its less with an ez-pass but I am unsure if you have to be a nyc resident to be eligible for the discount. The Verazzano is such a rip off.

If you do this, just know that the Verrazano is $15 bucks going into Staten Island from Brooklyn. Getting in to Staten Island from NJ will cost $12 bucks (most likely will route you to the Goethals bridge). I know its less with an ez-pass but I am unsure if you have to be a nyc resident to be eligible for the discount. The Verazzano is such a rip off.

I think anyone using an EZPass gets the discount over the "cash" price, but I haven't been down that way in years.

I think anyone using an EZPass gets the discount over the "cash" price, but I haven't been down that way in years.
Ah, I think you're right. I must have confused that with the other discounts for residents.

I get goosebumps at night on the BQE heading north where it arcs in the vicinity of the bridges and the skyline comes into view. Wow.

I generally take the Slauson Cutoff.

I get goosebumps at night on the BQE heading north where it arcs in the vicinity of the bridges and the skyline comes into view. Wow.
That's the best. Hanging out in the promenade on a warm spring night is incredible.

West side highway is ok for trucks south of 72nd street so from the Lincoln that's ok, so if on the George take 95(cross Bronx exp) to 87 south to 278 south across the RFK-triboro bridge and take 278 (BQE) south all the way into brooklyn this route would keep you on highways all the way to BK also

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom