OT - Nerlens Noel Red Flags on Simmons Podcast | Syracusefan.com

OT - Nerlens Noel Red Flags on Simmons Podcast

MikeSU02

Living Legend
On the BS Report, Simmons was talking to Ryan Rusillo mostly about the possible Celtics/Clippers stuff, but then the draft came up.

Apparently there are numerous red flags with Nerlens Noel. Obviously the growth plate injurty/ACL stuff is there, but apparently he has some really questionable guys surrounding him.

To the point where team reps don't know who to call or aren't getting any call backs. Apparently he refused a meeting with WWW and wouldn't take a meeting with Lebron's people either.

One agent he flaked on six times.

One other note they mentioned, was that the Wizards apparently have said that if he falls to 3, they won't take him in that spot.

He has no agent and they aren't sure if these guys are going to just play that role or not at this point.

Interesting podcast.

Poppy's right I wouldn't hire an agent in NBA for contracts only for maybe marketing. With max contracts, its not to difficult to hire an attorney and have them represent you for contract negotiations and save yourself a lot of money. I still see Noel going 1 though.

Nerlens has had shady people around him since HS. IIRC he was sent packing by a school after his JR year because of suspected improprieties with his entourage, which included a coach at that school. Am I right about that? That also led to the NCAA "investigation" into his transcript prior to last season.

Nerlens could be the next NBA flame-out who goes broke because of bad advice from "friends".

The injuries and and flaws in his game will certainly be factored in to any decisions made. But I don't think the rumors about his past (which may very well be true) will have much of an impact. From what I recall, they are more about violations of amateur ball, nothing with regard to the law. If I am mistaken, someone please post.

The injuries and and flaws in his game will certainly be factored in to any decisions made. But I don't think the rumors about his past (which may very well be true) will have much of an impact. From what I recall, they are more about violations of amateur ball, nothing with regard to the law. If I am mistaken, someone please post.

You're correct. Nothing with the law. All amateur ball stuff. However, whatever went on was enough that the school didn't want it's name dragged through the mud. It cut bait.

Noel's problems date back to his time at Tilton in New Hampshire and a lot of the controversy surrounded Chris Driscoll, a former Providence assistant who had questionable written all over everything he was involved with. Driscoll was attempting to posture himself as a handler of Noel's and trying to get money by saying he could influence Noel's choice of schools.

Noel was/is certainly very talented but there are many question marks as well. But hey, very few of these kids are a sure shot in the NBA anyhow.

I'm pretty sure I'd still want an agent. Definitely for marketing stuff. And Noel is no lock for a max contract. And agents, and agent services, have a way of making sure stuff gets done for their clients

I'd sign my rookie contract, then hire an agent. No way am I giving up a cut of my salary for an agent to negotiate when it's a predetermined wage scale.

The bigger worry is how much of a cut are his unofficial agents going to take. Might make a cut that an official agent would take look like pennies on the dollar.

A player of his caliber shouldn't need an agent. Hire a decent attorney, pay him 5K and be done with it.

There is enough doubt about his health and lack of experience, which puts his draft rank into question. If An agent should be monitoring the medicals and reassuring the top set of GMs, as well as promoting the player toward cinching that first pick. Not to mention the marketing aspect. Yeah, if you know you're going #1, you don't need an agent. But, in this questionable class, even the smallest bit of stink on him, unmitigated, can cost him a few slots. Who's doing damage control now, with these red flags? I certainly wouldn't want Noel or any of his unofficial handlers talking to the scouts or GMs.