OT: New Orleans Pelicans Logo Supposedly Leaked | Syracusefan.com

OT: New Orleans Pelicans Logo Supposedly Leaked

Fear the Pelican. Dumb. Oh wait, it was the turtle.

It's better than the LA Lakers, Utah Jazz, or Memphis Grizzlies.

Anthony-Davis-Pelicans.jpg

It's quite bad.
I'm an art director/designer, and i can see how this would be approved. It's a great idea, but bad execution — the 'bird' is completely unrecognizable as a form at anything other than close distance. The head/beak are lost. Not to mention the colorway...

Ha, this is how closely I follow the NBA. I thought the Hornets were still in Charlotte. :oops:

The only thing I like about any of these Pelican decisions is that at least it is a mascot that identifies with the city. I can't stand it when teams name themselves after animals or objects that have absolutely no correlation to the city they play for. Minnesota Vikings? A state located smack dab in the center of the continental landmass named their team after a seafaring, oceanic civilization. Toronto Raptors? Cause when I think basketball, I think of extinct reptiles... be honest Toronto, you just think Raptors are cool. Then there's Detroit, the most concrete-laden blue collar industrial city in the country names its sports teams after ... Lions & Tigers ... What? ... did some escape from a zoo once?

The only thing I like about any of these Pelican decisions is that at least it is a mascot that identifies with the city. I can't stand it when teams name themselves after animals or objects that have absolutely no correlation to the city they play for. Minnesota Vikings? A state located smack dab in the center of the continental landmass named their team after a seafaring, oceanic civilization. Toronto Raptors? Cause when I think basketball, I think of extinct reptiles... be honest Toronto, you just think Raptors are cool. Then there's Detroit, the most concrete-laden blue collar industrial city in the country names its sports teams after ... Lions & Tigers ... What? ... did some escape from a zoo once?
I get what you are saying but 32.1% of all Scandinavian Americans live in Minnesota and 21% in S Dakota and 36% in N Dakota. That is 89% I've been there. Blondes, blondes and more blondes. ;)

EDIT : Forgot the link http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scandinavian_American

They should just call themselves the Jazz and then see how Utah reacts. That would be fun.

I watch the History Channel too much sometimes, so I remember seeing an episode once about Vikings having possibly visited Minnesota in the 1300's:

http://kensingtonmn.com/runestonepg.html

Could very well be a hoax, but I suppose that's where the nickname could have originated from.

Ok, a lot of sarcasm on a message board goes right over my head. ;)

... Minnesota Vikings? A state located smack dab in the center of the continental landmass named their team after a seafaring, oceanic civilization. ...
The Runestone is as real as Manti Teo's girlfriend...
edit: dammit, didn't see deezy7's post

The Vikings name is actually taken from local Minnesota folklore. It was (and is) believed by many that a Nordic expedition into North America actually pushed as far inland as the Great Lakes. Back in 1898, the Kensington Runestone was found near Solem, MN, by a Swedish immigrant farmer as he was clearing trees on his land. The writings on the stone tell of a small 30 man expedition in 1362. It is believed by many experts to be a hoax, but not by the locals. People there really believe that "Northmen", or Vikings, actually settled the area. Hence the name of the football team. It's actually one of the more unique names in sports. It's better than hornets and pelicans, that's for sure.

EDIT: Crap! See the other two posts. Son of a...

I still think a great NBA trade would have been Utah trading the nickname Jazz back
to New Orleans in exchange for the Hornets nickname. Utah is, after all, The Beehive
state.

I do like the Pelicans though.

SUOrange44