OT - NFL Greed | Syracusefan.com

OT - NFL Greed

NFL will never take hold in England. Their fans aren't used to the barrage of commercials causing disjointed games that last 4 hours.

The League will play more games in London next year.

Soon the League will have an 18 game season.

We now have Thursday night games.

The League is killing its athletes with burdensome scheduling and is slowly destroying what has helped make the game so unique and so much fun - weekly Sunday games at 1 pm and 4 pm.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9792734/nfl-play-three-games-london-2014

I agree. I've been disgusted by how disingenuous and hypocritical Roger Goodell has been about the 18 game schedule in particular.

They have a players' union. The greed goes both ways.

There is greed in every occupation.

But the NFL - a cash cow the likes of which has never been seen in professional athletics - is the quintessential example of an entity that has no perspective.

It is going to kill the players and bore the fans with too many games - too many commercials and games that last four hours.

I don't see where the NFLPA has demonstrated an unacceptable level of greed, e.g. it's players do not receive guaranteed contracts despite the violent nature of the game.

I normally do not sympathize with Player Associations but in this case I do sympathize with the NFLPA.

If it were up to me there would be an NFL game on every night of the week. There's obviously a market for it, or it wouldn't be so successful. I don't buy the extra two games or "burdensome" schedule destroying the athletes. The game itself destroys the athletes. It is physically destructive by it's nature. Two more games a season won't make much of a difference.

The fantasy football season would be alot better/longer. Not sure how good that is for stress levels though. ;)

But the NFL - a cash cow the likes of which has never been seen in professional athletics - is the quintessential example of an entity that has no perspective.

It is going to kill the players and bore the fans with too many games - too many commercials and games that last four hours.

I don't see where the NFLPA has demonstrated an unacceptable level of greed, e.g. it's players do not receive guaranteed contracts despite the violent nature of the game.

I normally do not sympathize with Player Associations but in this case I do sympathize with the NFLPA.

Why is the NFLPA so weak? The players' contracts aren't even contracts. It's more like "we'll pay you this amount for x number of years as long as we still want you and you're physically able to perform." A contract that can be voided by the owners at any time, doesn't seem like a very good deal.

I mentioned the NFLPA because they have the ability to veto the longer season. I believe they also approved Thursday night games.

I agree that there is greed in every occupation, but your thread title and initial post make it sound like the owners are the only greedy ones. The players benefit monetarily from the increase in prime time games as well as more regular season games.

I don't want 18 games and I wouldn't care if they eliminate the Thursday night games (even though that is the only way my Browns get to play on nat'l tv). I also think they should reduce the preseason to 2 games.

Honestly, if the NFL truly cared about league safety here are some easy changes they could make.
1. Give every team 2 bye weeks instead of 1. You add an extra week to the season and get an additional week of content to sell your TV partners which allows you make more revenue. The extra bye weeks allows teams to rest their players more who are banged up and allow their bodies to heal. Also, ALL THURSDAY NIGHT games from week 3 thru the end of the season involve teams coming off one of their two byes so both teams are rested and not coming off 4 days rest.
2. Start the season with an NFL Thursday Night Doubleheader. 1 game hosted by the SB Champion like now and then another good TV matchup. Then week 2 have 2 of the 4 teams that played the previous week play on Thursday night. Then starting week 3 thru the end of the season have atleast 2 teams on byes to play the Thursday night game.
3. Sell a Late Sunday Night package to NBCSN or FS1. From week 10 thru the end of the season have a late late game like they did this week hosted by one of the 6 teams in the West divisions not KC or St.Louis. That is more revenue and who doesn't like watching football for 14 hours in a row.
4. Expand rosters from 53 to 60. The more revenue you make the more you have to give back to the players 7 additional low revenue guys gives more jobs and keeps guys more healthy on the field and not having to play special teams as well.

I heard the idea that players can only play 16 games of 18 games. So like pitchers in baseball it is up to the coach to decide when to use certain players. The rosters would be expanded. It might add an interesting wrinkle to the season and to talk radio. For example if it were the case this year...questions could arise like "Do the Broncos start Peyton Manning against Jacksonville this weekend or go with the back up? Save him for a division game. What would happen if teams lost those what they perceived to be gimme games?" I think that is kind of cool.

Honestly, if the NFL truly cared about league safety here are some easy changes they could make.
1. Give every team 2 bye weeks instead of 1. You add an extra week to the season and get an additional week of content to sell your TV partners which allows you make more revenue. The extra bye weeks allows teams to rest their players more who are banged up and allow their bodies to heal. Also, ALL THURSDAY NIGHT games from week 3 thru the end of the season involve teams coming off one of their two byes so both teams are rested and not coming off 4 days rest.
2. Start the season with an NFL Thursday Night Doubleheader. 1 game hosted by the SB Champion like now and then another good TV matchup. Then week 2 have 2 of the 4 teams that played the previous week play on Thursday night. Then starting week 3 thru the end of the season have atleast 2 teams on byes to play the Thursday night game.
3. Sell a Late Sunday Night package to NBCSN or FS1. From week 10 thru the end of the season have a late late game like they did this week hosted by one of the 6 teams in the West divisions not KC or St.Louis. That is more revenue and who doesn't like watching football for 14 hours in a row.
4. Expand rosters from 53 to 60. The more revenue you make the more you have to give back to the players 7 additional low revenue guys gives more jobs and keeps guys more healthy on the field and not having to play special teams as well.

Agree with all of that. OrangePA sounds like a class action lawyer looking for some of the NFL action.

I agree about the 18 game schedule, but the union does have the ability to veto that and they will until they get a deal on contracts and roster expansion.

London is what all sports are. Goodell has said he wants a franchise in London before he retires. Every league is looking for "Global Branding". Is the NFL more greedy for playing two or three games in London or putting a Franchise their instead of say Jacksonville, than MLB is for opening the season in Japan instead of Cincy?

I mentioned the NFLPA because they have the ability to veto the longer season. I believe they also approved Thursday night games.

I agree that there is greed in every occupation, but your thread title and initial post make it sound like the owners are the only greedy ones. The players benefit monetarily from the increase in prime time games as well as more regular season games.

I don't want 18 games and I wouldn't care if they eliminate the Thursday night games (even though that is the only way my Browns get to play on nat'l tv). I also think they should reduce the preseason to 2 games.

The NFLPA has very little leverage.

Indeed, it has never been able to exert much power in its relationship with the NFL - that's historical fact.

The notion that the NFLPA can compete with the multi-billion dollar behemoth that is the NFL is myopic in my judgement.

I strongly suspect that because the NFL wants it, there will be an 18 game schedule soon and that the NFLPA will be unable to stop it.

I also suspect that NFL player contracts will not be impacted all that much by the new schedule - as you know rookie contracts have dropped in value since Sam Bradford signed his deal a few years ago.

And no, my topic title did not mean to imply that the NFL is the only greedy entity in the world. Sorry for the confusion on that.

Why is the NFLPA so weak? The players' contracts aren't even contracts. It's more like "we'll pay you this amount for x number of years as long as we still want you and you're physically able to perform." A contract that can be voided by the owners at any time, doesn't seem like a very good deal.

Because NFL players have very limited playing careers - maybe three years.

For that reason they can't strike - or they can't do so effectively.

Also, the NFL has never allowed the kind of arbitration that MLB has - so the players simply lack the kind of leverage that the MLBPA has.

They have a players' union. The greed goes both ways.

the players union doesn't have the taxpayers pick up the tab for 70% of stadium expansions that has been going on.

wasn't it the state of Minnesota that recently handed over $500 million tax money to a multi $ billionaire's family. Six $ billion net worth

The NFL is a non profit that pays Goodell $ 30 million a year now.

what is the average playing career of an NFL player? And how long can Goodell keep his job?

NFL season ticket holders are currently forced to pay for 2 meaningless preseason games and 8 home games.

For those of you that are season tix holders, how do you feel about losing a preseason game and gaining 1 more real game for the same price?

Thought I'd mention...

On PBS tonight...Frontline 9 PM in CNY.

League of Denial: The NFL’s Concussion Crisis

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/league-of-denial/

"The National Football League, a multibillion-dollar commercial juggernaut, presides over America’s indisputable national pastime. But the NFL is under assault: thousands of former players have claimed the league tried to cover up how football inflicted long-term brain injuries on many players. What did the NFL know, and when did it know it? In a special two-hour investigation, FRONTLINE reveals the hidden story of the NFL and brain injuries."

The League will play more games in London next year.

Soon the League will have an 18 game season.

We now have Thursday night games.

The League is killing its athletes with burdensome scheduling and is slowly destroying what has helped make the game so unique and so much fun - weekly Sunday games at 1 pm and 4 pm.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9792734/nfl-play-three-games-london-2014

I care about college football 100x more than the NFL and I don't have a true allegiance to any particular NFL team. That said, I absolutely hate the idea of expanding the season to 18 games and playing games in London.

The current NFL scheduling format is absolutely perfect (except for potentially shortening the preseason by a game or so which would be fine). Why water down your product? The NBA, MLB and NHL's regular seasons have significantly less energy and passion than the NFL, CFB, and CBB. Why? Because they play TOO MANY GAMES. It becomes just a monotonous emotionless grind. I'm not saying an 18 game NFL season would result in that, but why even move in that direction at all?

As for London - the idea of a loyal NFL fan base (e.g. this year the Vikings) only being able to see their team 7 times as opposed to 8 genuinely annoys me. And Goodell has hinted at having the Super Bowl in London. If that were to happen it would be a national travesty beyond comprehension.

If Super Bowl is anywhere but America and the NFL floods another country's economy with 1 billion dollars in business Goodell will lose this patron. I get he is trying to expand the brand but UEFA isn't going to play the Champion's League Final in NYC then the NFL isn't going to play its Super Bowl in London or anywhere but the USA.
s

If it were up to me there would be an NFL game on every night of the week. There's obviously a market for it, or it wouldn't be so successful. I don't buy the extra two games or "burdensome" schedule destroying the athletes. The game itself destroys the athletes. It is physically destructive by it's nature. Two more games a season won't make much of a difference.

Want an 18 game schedule, then chop the preseason down 2 games.