OT: One of the "what could have been" players... | Syracusefan.com

OT: One of the "what could have been" players...

jekelish

Living Legend
I was reminded that Chris Herren was all but signed, sealed, and delivered to play ball at Syracuse (and this was described in the book Fall River Dreams) before winding up at BC and then Fresno. It made me think of the 30 for 30 on him. The full documentary is on YouTube and is 100% worth a watch if you've never seen it.

Wow had no idea we recruited him, I watched that documentary and maybe have missed that part. Favorite 30 for 30 so far, actually just drove over that bridge going into Fall River last week for a job I had in Newport. First thing I thought of was Herren and the story he told about riding his bike to get drugs over that bridge.

Wow had no idea we recruited him, I watched that documentary and maybe have missed that part. Favorite 30 for 30 so far, actually just drove over that bridge going into Fall River last week for a job I had in Newport. First thing I thought of was Herren and the story he told about riding his bike to get drugs over that bridge.
Yep - check out this passage in the book. Bernie was recruiting him hard and was convinced he was coming to SU: https://books.google.com/books?id=B...wAA#v=onepage&q=chris herren syracuse&f=false

One more video worth watching:

Unbelievable story overall. It sounds like if he hadn't been traded from Denver to Boston, his life might have straightened out a lot faster. Antonio McDyess, Nick Van Exel, and the rest of the vets in Denver basically formed a protective shield around him and wouldn't let him get in trouble. Then he gets traded to Boston, and he's back on his own, getting high and drunk again.

Really, really sad story.

By the way, I honestly had no idea that this 30 for 30 is currently airing on ESNPU right now. My brother just texted me about Herren, and I just thought it was random, but apparently he must be watching the documentary.

It's pretty powerful stuff, either way. I lived in New Bedford my second year out of college and worked in Rhode Island, so I drove through Fall River across the bridge that Herren is staring at for various parts of the documentary on a daily basis to get to and from work.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom