OT Personal sports triumph and tragedy | Syracusefan.com

OT Personal sports triumph and tragedy

NKR1978

Living Legend
We've talked a ton about out favorite and most heartbreaking SU memories (the National Championship and Butler/Vermont), I was curious about everyone's personal experiences.

My biggest personal sports tragedy is sort of in two parts. My junior my doubles partner and I were the top seed in our conference tournament. To be all-conference you had to make it to the semi finals of the singles or doubles tournament. We lost 7-5 in the 3rd set in the quarters. That sucked, but I had one more year and was confident that I would be fine the next season.

So senior year comes along and a different partner and I were the 3 seed. We rolled through the first rounds and we were feeling good. Unfortunately he was from Poland and English wasn't his strong suit at that point, so our communication was limited, but we were feeling good. In the quarters we won the first set fairly easy and then lost the second, just like the year before. So of course the nerves kick in and at 5-5 in the third my partner was broken. After several saved match points and lost break points, I finally dumped an easy forehand into the net on a 2nd serve to lose the match and to see the death of my all-conference dreams. That sucked. It still hurts more than 16 years later.

My triumph was the week senior year when I won all three of my singles matches (at 2 singles) 8-1, 8-2 and 8-0. Two of the opponents were actually good players, I was just on fire that week. The other one was my first ever match in college at 6 singles freshman year and I lost in 6-7, 7-6, 6-7. I don't remember the tie break scores, but we played with full ad scoring and the match lasted over three hours. After the match and getting congratulated by both teams coach said to me: "You could have saved us all a lot of time if you just played best of three tie breaks." He was hilarious.

My personal tragedies occur every other day on the golf course. Just when I think I have conquered the game because I've hit a few spectacular (for me) shots in a row... I can't get out of a frigging bunker that looks like it belongs on a British Open course.

We've talked a ton about out favorite and most heartbreaking SU memories (the National Championship and Butler/Vermont), I was curious about everyone's personal experiences.

My biggest personal sports tragedy is sort of in two parts. My junior my doubles partner and I were the top seed in our conference tournament. To be all-conference you had to make it to the semi finals of the singles or doubles tournament. We lost 7-5 in the 3rd set in the quarters. That sucked, but I had one more year and was confident that I would be fine the next season.

So senior year comes along and a different partner and I were the 3 seed. We rolled through the first rounds and we were feeling good. Unfortunately he was from Poland and English wasn't his strong suit at that point, so our communication was limited, but we were feeling good. In the quarters we won the first set fairly easy and then lost the second, just like the year before. So of course the nerves kick in and at 5-5 in the third my partner was broken. After several saved match points and lost break points, I finally dumped an easy forehand into the net on a 2nd serve to lose the match and to see the death of my all-conference dreams. That sucked. It still hurts more than 16 years later.

My triumph was the week senior year when I won all three of my singles matches (at 2 singles) 8-1, 8-2 and 8-0. Two of the opponents were actually good players, I was just on fire that week. The other one was my first ever match in college at 6 singles freshman year and I lost in 6-7, 7-6, 6-7. I don't remember the tie break scores, but we played with full ad scoring and the match lasted over three hours. After the match and getting congratulated by both teams coach said to me: "You could have saved us all a lot of time if you just played best of three tie breaks." He was hilarious.

Great story NKR. Where did you play tennis?

I got a hole in one on one of the worst shots ever. When I was in my early twenties my friend and I went to play golf on a warm summer day. It had been very dry for weeks. The ground was fairly hard. I teed up on the 165 yard par 3 eigth hole. I took a majestic swing and the ball took off, problem is, I shanked it and it never got more than 3 feet off the ground. I, of course, immediately abused my club and began cussing. My friend said "Whoa, hold up, that could end up good." So, I stopped and watched the ball as it bounced its way toward the green and then up on it. I said to my friend "I am going to have a birdie put!!!" And then the ball dissappeared. Both of our jaws dropped. So, I can claim to have a hole in one, albeit on one of the worst shots I have ever hit. That may be the pinnacle of my sports achievements, only because not every golfer has had a hole in one.

Great story NKR. Where did you play tennis?

Thanks - I played high school in Connecticut and at Hartwick. Sadly, my personal and team record at Hartwick was Robinsonesque.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom