OT: Philadelphia subway | Syracusefan.com

OT: Philadelphia subway

Eric15

Living Legend
Let me preface this by saying that Philly is one of my favorite cities in the country. The subway in that town is nothing short of deplorable. It uses an archaic token system instead of swipe cards, it is completely filthy, navigating around it is confusing, and it is extremely limited as to where it goes. I feel like it's a system you'd expect to see in like Eastern Europe, not a major American city.

Couldn't agree more. Live in Philadelphia suburbs and don't even consider taking the "subway" when I am in Philadelphia.

Philadelphia would be so lucky to have an Eastern Europe-quality transit system. I'd compare their subway more to the level of a mid-sized city in the American South.

Oddly poor level of service for a city of its age and size.

It is an absolute disgrace. I have lived here 50 of my 60 years and when returning home on the subway from the sports complex, I never drive, I still have to guess as to what staircase to take in order to reach the Regional Rail trains from the subway. It is filthy, stinks of urine and apparently under construction or rehabbing which never happens. There are no signs anywhere, you are on your own when taking mass transit in Philly. Oh, did I mention the bitchy employees who sit in the booths and laugh at you when your archaic token doesn't take?

And the fact that Joyce waited 90 minutes for a cab on a Friday night is not surprising.