OT: "Play Their Hearts Out." | Syracusefan.com

OT: "Play Their Hearts Out."

heresjohnny88

2nd String
Anyone read this book yet? I'm about 75% done, and it is EXCELLENT. Done by an SI writer...he chronicles the lives of kids playing AAU basketball, focusing mainly on one team in Southern Cal. I never fully realized how absurd the AAU circuit really is...it's basically the wild west. The book includes some incredibly tragic stories of kids who are promised the world by AAU coaches exploiting them for money, and then don't make it. I highly recommend this book.

Anyone read this book yet? I'm about 75% done, and it is EXCELLENT. Done by an SI writer...he chronicles the lives of kids playing AAU basketball, focusing mainly on one team in Southern Cal. I never fully realized how absurd the AAU circuit really is...it's basically the wild west. The book includes some incredibly tragic stories of kids who are promised the world by AAU coaches exploiting them for money, and then don't make it. I highly recommend this book.

Great book. Every die hard fan should read it to get an understanding of what goes on with these kids.

I read it earlier in the year. It was a really unbelievable read, and definitely eye opening for anyone who follows recruiting closely.

Read it over the winter - great book. When we played Louisville I pointed out the story about Peyton Siva crying because, ironically, his opponents were pressing full court. I was pretty surprised the book talked openly about AAU kids' families getting financial support from AAU coaches, complete with players' and coaches' names. I thought that would be an NCAA violation.