OT - Question for Knicks fans | Syracusefan.com

OT - Question for Knicks fans

OttoinGrotto

2023-24 Iggy Award Most 3 Pointers Made
I like the NBA generally and don't have a dog in this fight, but seeing the craziness that is the Knicks organization right now I'm curious if the Knicks amnesthized the wrong guy.

It seems to me that once they had Melo in the fold the right move would have been to keep the final year of Billups contract and use the amnesty clause on Amare Stoudemire. Stoudemire served his purpose; he came at a time when they needed a high profile free agent to take their money and provide a spark of life to the franchise. Once Melo came on board they didn't need that and ended up in Stat with a guy that cost a lot, was a huge injury liability and just doesn't really seem to fit. Had they cut him loose they would have had more flexibility last offseason with additional flexibility this offseason after Billups contract expired.

There seems to be quite a few hardcore Knicks fans here and this is something that has been kicking around in my head of late. Wondered what other people were thinking.

The amnesty on Billups got them Chandler so its tough but yea, they probably should have amnestied Amare. Dude is a clown. Im hoping for a big year but am waiting for him to brick jumpers and hurt himself at least 3 times over the course of the season, inevitably affecting his postseason contributions. At least the Knicks should be used to playing without Amare in the playoffs by now.

absolutely.. chauncey gives you much more for that season than amare and opens things up. its amazing to listen to guys like dino costa say he knows melo and that melo is a losing player. melo has his downfalls.. but amare can do nothing without a pnr offense.. he plays zero d to melos occasional d.. he doesnt hit the boards and bricks way too many jumpers.. too bad the amnesty provision couldnt be used twice...

The problem with amnestying him is they would have still had to pay around 80 mill at they time. That is a lot of dough to walk away from.

The problem with amnestying him is they would have still had to pay around 80 mill at they time. That is a lot of dough to walk away from.

true...

they were trying at the time to trade Billups and at the very least leave open the possibility of amnestying Amare in the future.

chauncey gives you much more for that season than amare and opens things up

Well it is worth pointing out Billups tore his ACL last year

yes.. and likely you dont get tyson without amare being amnestied etc etc... we can always say what if as fans :)