OT: SEC Schools Spend $164k per Student Athlete | Syracusefan.com

OT: SEC Schools Spend $164k per Student Athlete

orangeinjersey

All Conference
The obvious takeaway: the SEC is insane. SEC schools spend more than 12 times as much on each athlete as they do on their regular, non-revenue-generating students. They spend 40 percent more than Big Ten schools, and 60 percent more than Pac-10 (now PAC-12) schools. The SEC's nearly $164,000 median cost per athlete is almost twice as much as the FBS average, and four-and-a-half times as much as the median FCS program. Becoming the country's undisputed college football elite conference doesn't come free, and it doesn't come cheap.

Full story here...

http://deadspin.com/5976391/sec-sch...her-ways-the-ncaa-is-a-bonfire-for-your-money

I was just about to post this.

Thought this comments was funny. Not sure if the was trolling, but it does capture the mindset of SEC fans I've had the misfortune of encountering. In Vegas the day we got word of the ACC move I was sitting in the at Mandalay and an idiot in an Ole Miss polo yelled "SEC SEC" in my face. I've told this story before on here, but I responded that him being an Ole Miss fan and bragging about the SEC is like a DePaul fan screaming "BIG EAST" in someone's face. The other story was down in New Orleans this fall and an idiot LSU fan yelled "SEC SEC" and then asked what Syracuse has ever "done for me." My response to that was that Syracuse helped get me a nice career in Manhattan, something LSU probably never could. But yeah, SEC fans are idiots:

avt-medium.png
ComeTakeMyGuns and 3 more
That is how you get SEC speed baby. You want it you have to pay for it. Every other conference should take notes. We are the greatest conference ever. They should have a separate championship for SEC teams while everyone else gets to play for the BCS championship.

I was just about to post this.

Thought this comments was funny. Not sure if the was trolling, but it does capture the mindset of SEC fans I've had the misfortune of encountering. In Vegas the day we got word of the ACC move I was sitting in the at Mandalay and an idiot in an Ole Miss polo yelled "SEC SEC" in my face. I've told this story before on here, but I responded that him being an Ole Miss fan and bragging about the SEC is like a DePaul fan screaming "BIG EAST" in someone's face. The other story was down in New Orleans this fall and an idiot LSU fan yelled "SEC SEC" and then asked what Syracuse has ever "done for me." My response to that was that Syracuse helped get me a nice career in Manhattan, something LSU probably never could. But yeah, SEC fans are idiots:

avt-medium.png
ComeTakeMyGuns and 3 more

That is how you get SEC speed baby. You want it you have to pay for it. Every other conference should take notes. We are the greatest conference ever. They should have a separate championship for SEC teams while everyone else gets to play for the BCS championship.

See that is the difference between SEC and everywhere else. most of their fans dont even attend the colleges or universities. They are representations of the state. Most folks in NJ dont give two stuffs about rutgers, even the ones that went there. In SEC country, you root for the Tide, like we root for the Giants/Eagles

The SEC should just break away and form their minor league NFL league.

and the SEC overlooks the fact that if you just change the order of the games and make Ala lose the next to last game to TaM they never make the BCS game. timing and luck

Well, if I had my way the top coaching salary would be pegged to the annual salary of the President of the United States. But there's no way I'll have my way.

damn...that is more than what doug pays his assistants

talk about a real fiscal cliff....wow

someone should call Obama;)

and that's just for the recruiting visit.

The whole thing is completely out of control and is only going to get worse.

See that is the difference between SEC and everywhere else. most of their fans dont even attend the colleges or universities. They are representations of the state. Most folks in NJ dont give two stuffs about rutgers, even the ones that went there. In SEC country, you root for the Tide, like we root for the Giants/Eagles

The SEC should just break away and form their minor league NFL league.

Not even close.

The average Giants fan doesn't talk about the Giant's every day of the year. They don't plan their whole years around Giant's games. They don't drive Blue and Red vans and cars. They don't name their kids and their pets after Giants-related people or players.

The Giants are a hobby. LSU or Alabama or Arkansas or Georgia football are fervent over-the-top religions.

A few years ago, my wife and I went to an Auburn game at Auburn as the guest of a guy I had done a lot of business with.

We showed up Friday morning and all anyone talked about was tomorrow's game. And I mean everybody. The people at the airport. The staff at the hotel. The guys behind the counter at a 7-11. It was total immersion. And they weren't even playing Alabama. The whole place was vibrating with excitement.

The Friday night cocktail party / dinner was outrageous. People dressed to the nines. And the women talked about football in depth. Orange and blue every where.

Saturday was tailgating and the game. Then it was more drinking and then out to dinner for more talk about football and Auburn.

Sunday morning was brunch and rehashing of the last game and the solidifying of the details on the road trip for next Saturday's game.

The only thing we have in the Northeast that even approximates it is Penn State and that Winnebago brigade they have. And even that is a pale imitation.

And from what I can tell, with the possible exception of Vanderbilt, its like that at all these SEC schools. It's crazy. It's out-sized. And we don't have anything like it. Not even close. And that includes the pro football crowd that is essentially a bunch of Sunday drunks dressed in spirit gear eating hotdogs and swilling too much beer in asphalt parking lots.

Well, if I had my way the top coaching salary would be pegged to the annual salary of the President of the United States. But there's no way I'll have my way.

I think the SEC should be forced to peg their top player payouts to that of the President, that might end their run of NCs...but the coaching thing would be cool, too.

If you actually think a lot of these players are students, I have a very nice bridge to sell. Their system is set up so nicely that the same type of writers that were "shocked" players used steroids are the same that cover these teams and they know to keep quiet, their fans are nuts.