OT: Should Justin Combs return his UCLA scholarship? | Syracusefan.com

OT: Should Justin Combs return his UCLA scholarship?

Whitey23

Twitter Wizard
Diddy, a.k.a. Sean Combs, the musician-businessman formerly known as Puff Daddy and P. Diddy, is a real daddy, and a proud one.
His son Justin Combs graduated from Iona prep school in New York state with what is said to be an A-minus average, and heads to UCLA with a $54,000 football scholarship.
That’s started the fuse on a public online debate as to whether young Mr. Combs should accept that money. His father is, according to Forbes, the richest man in the hip-hop world: a semi-billionaire music impresario and fashion mogul with a fortune hovering around $550 million.
You must wonder, does this scholarship -- deserved as it is -- also represent a part of a bidding war by UCLA to win a talented athlete who was being wooed by Virginia and Wyoming, among others, and also, not incidentally, win the loyalty of a rich father who could wind up donating to the school many times that $54,000 scholarship money?
UCLA released a statement that scholarship money does not come from tax payer money. It comes from the Athletic Department.

Jersey is absolutely right. The kid earned it. There are lots of kids on scholarships whose parents can afford tuition.

The "matching scholarship" is a nice idea, a good gesture. But even if Puffy doesn't do that, so what! His kid earned a scholarship. That's all anyone needs to know.

I agree that the kid earned it and it's a made up controversy. Interesting parallels with Ben Barrett.

The only reason people want him to return it is because they can readily identify his father. I'm sure if anyone did any serious digging on that UCLA roster (or any other state school), they would find plenty of students whose parents could easily pay their child's way through college. I focus on state schools because that is the main reason the taxpayers of California are so up in arms about this. People truly will b**** about anything while simultaneously undermining a great accomplishment by Diddy's son. Best of luck to him at UCLA.

I agree that the kid earned it and it's a made up controversy. Interesting parallels with Ben Barrett.

as jim calhoun famously said "not a dime back"

calhoun, justin diddy, and ben barrett absolutely all deserve what they got. especially combs and barrett... it should be a testament to them that they arent spoiled brats. both are good students and top notch athletes. These arent need based scholarships, they are earned scholarships. Never apologize for anything you earned.

The only reason people want him to return it is because they can readily identify his father. I'm sure if anyone did any serious digging on that UCLA roster (or any other state school), they would find plenty of students whose parents could easily pay their child's way through college. I focus on state schools because that is the main reason the taxpayers of California are so up in arms about this. People truly will b**** about anything while simultaneously undermining a great accomplishment by Diddy's son. Best of luck to him at UCLA.

I am pretty sure lee malchioni at duke paid his own way (he was a top 50ish recruit)

I am pretty sure lee malchioni at duke paid his own way (he was a top 50ish recruit)
I'm not saying it's a bad thing if a family pays their kid's way if they have the means, but making them a villain for not doing so is ridiculous. It is something the kid earned regardless of their financial background.

I think this is a huge success story for the son. He could have easily gone to any school in the country on his father's dime. Instead, he earned a scholarship and is at least somewhat making his own way in life, inasmuch as a young man can that has a dad with that kind of scratch.

Plus, I wouldn't be at all surprised if some day UCLA has a Diddy Center or something like that.

No. If he feels so inclined to pull a Drummond and offer his scholarship to a walk on more power to him but he shouldn't feel he HAS to do anything.

Why is this even a story? There are a ton of rich kids that get scholarships.

The bigger issue that should be looked at is why is tuition so expensive that alot of kids NEEDS to earn scholarships to be able to afford school in the first place.

I'm not saying it's a bad thing if a family pays their kid's way if they have the means, but making them a villain for not doing so is ridiculous. It is something the kid earned regardless of their financial background.

absolutely... i completely agree with you.

i was just pointing it out.

The bigger issue that should be looked at is why is tuition so expensive that alot of kids NEEDS to earn scholarships to be able to afford school in the first place.
Ding!

Lots of things to talk about there - availability of loans, facilities arms race (it's not just for football, people care about how the campus and buildings look too. Crazy!), the inflated prestige associated with a big tuition bill, etc.

No. If he feels so inclined to pull a Drummond and offer his scholarship to a walk on more power to him but he shouldn't feel he HAS to do anything.

Why is this even a story? There are a ton of rich kids that get scholarships.

the difference with these 2 stories... is that uconn actually pulled the scholly from a need based athlete (who was previously under scholarship). Thats a BIG difference IMO.

The kid was NOT a walk on.

the difference with these 2 stories... is that uconn actually pulled the scholly from a need based athlete (who was previously under scholarship). Thats a BIG difference IMO.

The kid was NOT a walk on.

Well yeah, what UConn did was scummy but but what Drummond did was outstanding.

I couldn't tell you if UCLA football has recently pulled scholies from any "need based athletes" or not. I can tell you Miami (fl) did when Seantrel Henderson committed late a couple years ago though and SEC teams do it ALL the time.

My point was more, it's Combs' scholarship to do with as he see's fit. I wouldn't be surprised to see him offer it to a less financially blessed player anyway because he seems like a good kid. The fact that people think he should be forced to is bogus.

Diddy, a.k.a. Sean Combs, the musician-businessman formerly known as Puff Daddy and P. Diddy, is a real daddy, and a proud one.
His son Justin Combs graduated from Iona prep school in New York state with what is said to be an A-minus average, and heads to UCLA with a $54,000 football scholarship.
That’s started the fuse on a public online debate as to whether young Mr. Combs should accept that money. His father is, according to Forbes, the richest man in the hip-hop world: a semi-billionaire music impresario and fashion mogul with a fortune hovering around $550 million.
You must wonder, does this scholarship -- deserved as it is -- also represent a part of a bidding war by UCLA to win a talented athlete who was being wooed by Virginia and Wyoming, among others, and also, not incidentally, win the loyalty of a rich father who could wind up donating to the school many times that $54,000 scholarship money?
UCLA released a statement that scholarship money does not come from tax payer money. It comes from the Athletic Department.
I heard Diddy bought some toilet paper when it was on sale the other day. Shameless profiteering!

No doubt he'll be making donations to UCLA in the future, assuming his kid has a decent experience. Totally up to him though.

Well yeah, what UConn did was scummy but but what Drummond did was outstanding.

I couldn't tell you if UCLA football has recently pulled scholies from any "need based athletes" or not. I can tell you Miami (fl) did when Seantrel Henderson committed late a couple years ago though and SEC teams do it ALL the time.

My point was more, it's Combs' scholarship to do with as he see's fit. I wouldn't be surprised to see him offer it to a less financially blessed player anyway because he seems like a good kid. The fact that people think he should be forced to is bogus.

gotcha... i totally agree

Justin Combs has been getting royalties on this video since before his 1st birthday (see 13 sec mark)

Jersey is absolutely right. The kid earned it. There are lots of kids on scholarships whose parents can afford tuition.

The "matching scholarship" is a nice idea, a good gesture. But even if Puffy doesn't do that, so what! His kid earned a scholarship. That's all anyone needs to know.

Plus, let's be honest, UCLA will be soliciting donations well in excess of $50K from Diddy in the future.

Bob Condotta (@bcondotta)
6/23/12 9:49 PM
And via @BrahmaFootball, UCLA has offered Snoop Dogg's kid, WR Cordell Broadus, for the Class of 2015.

In California, the football scholarships are entirely funded out of the athletic fund which is made up of donations and revenue.

No state tax dollars go to scholarships for football players.

44cuse

Bob Condotta (@bcondotta)
6/23/12 9:49 PM
And via @BrahmaFootball, UCLA has offered Snoop Dogg's kid, WR Cordell Broadus, for the Class of 2015.

THEY OFFERED HIM A SCHOLARSHIP?!? BUT HIS DAD IS WORTH $200 MIL!

Why his father has no legal obligation to pay for college

Sent from my Vortex using Tapatalk 2

In California, the football scholarships are entirely funded out of the athletic fund which is made up of donations and revenue.

No state tax dollars go to scholarships for football players.

44cuse
Didn't know that. Makes the argument even dumber.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom