(OT) SU in trademark battle with Oswego County Distillery over "Cuse Juice" | Syracusefan.com

(OT) SU in trademark battle with Oswego County Distillery over "Cuse Juice"

FreakTalksAboutSU

All American
Fairly lengthy article boils down to a pretty cut and dry case if you ask me.
SU recently threatened legal action against a small Oswego County distillery, which last year introduced a vodka-based orange liqueur called Cuse Juice. The distillery has agreed to discontinue the product, saying it cannot afford to fight a legal battle with the big university.

The fact that Lock 1′s Cuse Juice label used the color of SU’s sports trams -- blue and orange -- and the nationally recognized “fame” or reputation of the university are factors that could weigh against Lock 1.

Pretty sure that "trams" = "teams". Not my error...

More at: Who owns the ‘cuse’? Inside a trademark fight between SU and a small business

I didn’t read it so apologies in advance if my point is covered, but this should be cut and dry. There’s a simple case for confusion...and there’s probably some rules (or at least defineable negative perception) of an academic institution/Cuse brand affiliatied with an alcoholic product.

My wife is a long time friend of the "Battle Tested" BBQ sauce owner in Raleigh that's seeking trademark for Barbe'cuse.