OT - SU Pool and Air Hockey Tables | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

OT - SU Pool and Air Hockey Tables

Actually, there is a very good reason why Suttree doesn't remember this...

Back in the stone ages, when Suttree and I played, deadlocked games were not decided by PKs.

They were decided by shootouts were each player started with the ball at some distance (which I do not remember - probably around 40 or 50 yards) from goal and had something like five seconds in which to score. The player could not stop and could not go backwards with the ball. If the goalie touched the ball and it did not wind up in the back of the net after the touch, the ball was dead...

Another good reason why Suttree does not remember this is that Oscar probably never, ever let him advance past the halfway line so the opponent's goal area would simply have been a mirage on the horizon to him... :D
Guilty on all fronts. All I did well in those days was play the speed merchant, disarm opponents, and clear the ball. It was good enough for then, and not bad work for a little 5'6" dude, but there's no way Senor Vergara would have put me in control of anything involving ball skills and shooting.

What a trip down memory lane. Thanks for the reminder of the modified shootout format! I don't know which version is more ridiculous--then or now.

Guilty on all fronts. All I did well in those days was play the speed merchant, disarm opponents, and clear the ball. It was good enough for then, and not bad work for a little 5'6" dude, but there's no way Senor Vergara would have put me in control of anything involving ball skills and shooting.

What a trip down memory lane. Thanks for the reminder of the modified shootout format! I don't know which version is more ridiculous--then or now.

The only reason I remember is that my best friend and I used to spend countless hours up at Coyne Field practicing and those shootouts were something we would we do all the time...Of course, shootouts on the silky-smooth astroturf at Coyne was a helluva lot easier that doing it on the lava fields of Barry Park...

Ouch.

Allow me to correct you:

As a married man, he has no balls.

And for being a bunch of Eunuchs, we smacked Ludden around pretty good on the pitch during my days at 'Ham...so what does that make you?

Funny story...either Oscar or his assistant coach - one of them lived around the corner from me - invited me to play in a soccer tourney with them out at Westvale - I think it was over Xmas break...it was me, Hei Ho and about 10 other Vietnamese dudes..

Lots of good teams...Vestal and some other teams from other parts of New York as well as a bunch of teams from CNY...

We didn't even have uniforms...we had white t-shirts with the numbers magic-markered on...and shorts and socks of all different colors...we looked like a bunch of refugees (which, ironically, everyone but me was...)..we came out on the field for our first game and this lily-white suburban team from I-don't-remember-where was openly snickering at us and how pathetic we looked...

Then the game started..and we kicked the out of them...something like 6-0 or 7-0...

We won the whole damn tourney and those boys were so damn excited about each of them getting a little 3 or 4 inch trophy that it even resonated with a 16 or 17 year-old (whatever age I was) self-absorbed teenager...
Great anecdotes.

And I already admitted y'all's program superiority over tiny little Ludden! Inferior to the Nottingham Eunuchs, we must have been like Lord Varys's little birds and spiders. I was mostly channeling my memories of this throwback snippet: