OT: Syracuse Ranked #5 Party School | Syracusefan.com

OT: Syracuse Ranked #5 Party School

I think this is the 4th time this has been posted on the site.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think this is the 4th time this has been posted on the site.

sorry missed it. Take this thread down then

sorry missed it. Take this thread down then

Multiple boards I think and I'm too lazy to check.

This news does not make me happy. it would not make most parents happy. I like it much better when we are a Top 5 communications school (Newhouse)... or a Top 5 public affairs school (Maxwell).
I'd rather my kid be a drunk than go into either one of those fields!

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

That cute little boy of yours... no way. Hey, I was a dual Newhouse/Maxwell major, and my career didn't turn out badly. :)

This news does not make me happy. it would not make most parents happy. I like it much better when we are a Top 5 communications school (Newhouse)... or a Top 5 public affairs school (Maxwell).

are we not a top 5 communications school now? I'm more angry we are not a top 50 university anymore. Whatever you say about the impact of these rankings, it's kinda tough to swallow when the BCs and Penn Sts of the world are much higher ranked in these publications.

How do they rank these kinds of things? Kids passed out on the street per capita? Under aged kids busted? Sexually transmitted disease occurrences between the hours of 10pm and 3am?

If this is indicative of SU, then I'm not surprised.

As an alum I am not happy with what has happened to SU's admission standards over the last decade or so. Hopefully this will be an area of focus for the new chancellor, even if it means a smaller, more select student body.

I am willing to admit I do not know the first thing about running a university, and I keep an open mind around some of the decisions made. I strongly believe the recession had to have a disproportionate impact on private schools like SU, especially the non-ivies which have a less demonstrable ROI. Kids that were able to choose SU in the 90's have now opted for public alternatives (PSU, MD, etc.) in the face of depleted 529s and in general less overall wealth. SU had to react and widened its addressable market with relaxed admission standards. Hopefully the economy continues to turn around and SU is able to recover quickly.

Very disappointing. That could be any 2nd tier state school party scene - I guess the quality of the 'scenery' and of the party dialogue/behavior has really gone down with the ranking of the school. People partied pretty hard at Cuse when I was there late 90's - but they looked better doing it than these amateurs. used to be wannabe hamptons style, now it's more lake michigan or something. Embarrassing.

As an aside, i would never let my kid go to SU for undergrad unless he were far more mature than I was at that age. Grad school at Maxwell - all for it! Even then it was a bit out of control, and seems like it's gotten more so. Better to go to a liberal arts college and then go to SU or similar when you no what you want to do. I don't regret going for a second...but the stuff we did was sometimes not the brightest.

Do we really want our student-athletes to come to SU with the goal of "partying down"? I'd be pretty happy to have that crowd go to Rutgers or OCC or other schools of that caliber.

Being a drunk is a HUGE part of being successful in both of those fields.

Well, all of those kids look like they are really enjoying their time at SU. And that means, of course, they will all become MAJOR donors to the University some day. SU should save that video and higher up hard in about ten years. Gorilla Alumni Relations Tactics. "Hey, dude! Remember this video?"

Having moved to the south following graduation, I can assure everyone here that SU is not a top 25 party school. They party harder in the south and look better doing it.

Having moved to the south following graduation, I can assure everyone here that SU is not a top 25 party school. They party harder in the south and look better doing it.

Most every school has students that party hard. I doubt those southern schools have the level of cocaine culture that is prevalent at a lot of northeastern schools. Not that that's something to be proud of, just that I think northeastern kids can hold their own against their southern counterparts.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

Most every school has students that party hard. I doubt those southern schools have the level of cocaine culture that is prevalent at a lot of northeastern schools. Not that that's something to be proud of, just that I think northeastern kids can hold their own against their southern counterparts.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2
It's 'funny' how many future doctors from Westchester spend their whole time at Syracuse and Cornell doing lines in between cramming for organic chemistry exams. with even one use, if you are unlucky, you can screw up your heart rhythm for life and increase the odds of heart disease dramatically. Stuff no one tells you when you are 18...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom