OT: The hottest guy in the draft is Tom Savage | Syracusefan.com

OT: The hottest guy in the draft is Tom Savage

Whitey23

Twitter Wizard
4. Speaking of surprise players … The stunner this draft season is a quarterback who threw 83 passes as a Rutgers sophomore in 2010, then didn’t play college football in 2011 or 2012 as he transferred from Rutgers to Arizona to Pitt. “The hottest guy in the draft,” Brandt of Tom Savage. How hot is he? Late last week Savage’s agent, Neil Schwartz, had to tell two teams who wanted to set up a visit or meeting with the quarterback that he didn’t have any time left to do so. “There are literally no days left on his calendar for him to go see any other teams,” Schwartz said Saturday. The deadline for teams to host players or work them out is April 27, and by then Savage is scheduled to have either worked out for or had visits with 24 or 25 teams. That’s an amazing number of workouts and/or meetings … and when I say meetings with teams, I mean time with either the GM, coach, offensive coordinator or two or three of those. Savage is popular because he’s got an above-average NFL arm right now—some are calling it the best in the draft—and showed well over the last half of last season with a bad offensive line at Pitt. He spent Friday with the Oakland staff, and that’s a place he’d fit in well. Amazing to think a player so itinerant and with so little college success could be leap-frogging A.J. McCarron, Aaron Murray and Zach Mettenberger. But there’s a good chance Savage will. Todd McShay had Houston taking Savage with the 33rd overall pick. Now there’d be a way to kick off the second day of the draft in style, with a stunner like that.

Reminds me of the Nassib buzz last year.

http://mmqb.si.com/2014/04/14/nfl-draft-jadeveon-clowney-monday-morning-qb/

so let's do the math. He's an nfl qb and they had 2 nfl wrs on their roster last year...and they're BARELY an average football team. over the last 20 years, pitt has no peer on the "done the least with the most" metric. it's really crazy.

Tom, we'll always have this.

tom-savage-syracuse-rutgers-29895551bb2e0339_large.jpg

If they just need someone to take a sack, I'll do it for half of whatever he is asking.

That fake field goal was there for the taking, that is what I will always remember about the Pitt game

they're crazy

these guys love to talk them into guys with clear numbers that show they're not any good. if you just look at the numbers, how can you justify your existence as a scout?

39th in the country in passer rating against BCS last year, and that was his good year

it hasn't been very likely recently that a guy below 150 rating his senior year ended up doing anything in the NFL (don't go back to brady, i said recently)

Ah, the Pitt game. The time the banhammer fell on me for calling out the kicker.

Good times.

I forget which backup guard it was (Palmer)? That picture shows how that play went for him. Doesn't get much more humbling for a lineman.

Millhouse said:
they're crazy these guys love to talk them into guys with clear numbers that show they're not any good. if you just look at the numbers, how can you justify your existence as a scout? 39th in the country in passer rating against BCS last year, and that was his good year it hasn't been very likely recently that a guy below 150 rating his senior year ended up doing anything in the NFL (don't go back to brady, i said recently)

It's all to stroke their egos. Brady falling into the 6th has made it a fun game of "look, I discovered a mediocre quarterback to waste a pick on!"

I thought savage had a nice game against us. He stood in the pocket, took hits, and made plays down the stretch. He has always had great measureables since coming out of high school. Pitts lines was a sieve this past year. Can't say I am surprised by this, especially with the onus placed on the QB position in the NFL.

Best thing Savage ever did was leave the qb killer rutgers. Playing qb for them is like having a little brother that always flinches when people raise their hand...always twitchy. Had to leave the family to get his confidence again.

Savage definitely has all the NFL tools. Smart kid (despite the fact he went to Rutgers), big arm, and already plays in a NFL system. He played for two teams that had turnstiles disguised as lineman. If he played any other position but QB, he'd probably be a 4th round pick or so. The problem is, you literally have to have a good QB to win in the NFL. Such a premium is placed on the position guys tend to go a round or two earlier than other positions.

My recollection of the Pitt game is that Savage took some big hits, but kept getting up. He had to know we would come after him, but it was almost as if he was trying to exorcise those demons.

A lot of quick out/bubble screens against SU and he did take quite a few hits when he didn't. Could be a very solid backup and learning while waiting for his shot much like Nassib.

Savage's stock rising might be an indication that NFL scouts and GMs think Schiano is an idiot who destroys qbs. It's the only reason to think so highly of a one year wonder who really wasn't even a one year wonder

My recollection of the Pitt game is that Savage took some big hits, but kept getting up. He had to know we would come after him, but it was almost as if he was trying to exorcise those demons.
If it weren't for Aaron Donald, the story of the Pitt game would have been "SU beats up on Savage again."

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom