OT: Time for Kobe to retire? | Syracusefan.com

OT: Time for Kobe to retire?

moqui

generational talent
suffered a torn rotator cuff in his right shoulder last night; tried to come back in & play left handed but couldn't manage it.

this is the third year in a row that he has suffered a serious injury, the previous two have been season-ending.

He already had been rumored to be considering retirement at the end of this season, but he would be leaving $25M on the table.

and seems like only yesterday i was reading in the big east briefs he was considering villanova...

suffered a torn rotator cuff in his right shoulder last night; tried to come back in & play left handed but couldn't manage it.

this is the third year in a row that he has suffered a serious injury, the previous two have been season-ending.

He already had been rumored to be considering retirement at the end of this season, but he would be leaving $25M on the table.

I can't imagine he needs any more money. He's already been paid generational money so even though that's a lot of money to us, he's already been paid more than 300 million in just salary so leaving 25 on the table isn't that big a deal.

It's time for him to go.

I can't imagine he needs any more money. He's already been paid generational money so even though that's a lot of money to us, he's already been paid more than 300 million in just salary so leaving 25 on the table isn't that big a deal.

It's time for him to go.

I would think that even to a person with that much money, 25 mill is too much to walk away from, especially when it's to do something you absolutely love.

Yes, rehab is tough, but so is Kobe. (There's also the attitude of wanting to go out "on your own terms" and not succumbing to injury)

I'd say there's a 2% chance he hangs it up.

I would think that even to a person with that much money, 25 mill is too much to walk away from, especially when it's to do something you absolutely love.

Yes, rehab is tough, but so is Kobe. (There's also the attitude of wanting to go out "on your own terms" and not succumbing to injury)

I'd say there's a 2% chance he hangs it up.

But that number I quoted above is just salary. I have no idea how much he's made in endorsements and whatever other business ventures he's been involved in. Eventually doesn't he have to realize that his "love of the game" is actually destroying the team he indicates he also loves?

But that number I quoted above is just salary. I have no idea how much he's made in endorsements and whatever other business ventures he's been involved in. Eventually doesn't he have to realize that his "love of the game" is actually destroying the team he indicates he also loves?

Yeah, I get what you're saying. He certainly doesn't NEED the money, but I doubt he thinks he's destroying the Lakers by agreeing to play for them.

He might be the most competitive athlete to ever play any sport ever. I just can't see him playing his last game without even knowing it, and letting a torn rotator cuff determine his farewell.

kobe may be grabbing some beaucoup endorsement $ from say asia places but his USA market value is cloudy at best. "rape" word.

kobe may be grabbing some beaucoup endorsement $ from say asia places but his USA market value is cloudy at best. "rape" word.
Cloudy at best.. I don't know about . No one brings up the rape stuff, he's still one of the most popular athletes in the world. His 15 million a year from Nike alone is enough to keep his market value strong.

A torn rotator cuff may make the decision for him. They heal slowly.

How far away is he from the next scoring record?

No way he goes out like this. If it took him 2 years to come back, he's going to do it.

What was up with coming back last night to play left-handed though?

What was up with coming back last night to play left-handed though?

ego

No way he goes out like this. If it took him 2 years to come back, he's going to do it.

I'd think a lot of his future would depend on LA's salary cap situation wouldn't it? If he goes on the IR, does he still count against the cap? If he sat out all next year also (although I shouldn't think it would take that long), would that count also? If he didn't want to retire, can LA buy him out? And if he chose to come back next year with another team, who'd want him given his recent health record?

It's time for him to retire. He's either the best or second best SG of all-time, it's either him or Jordan, not much else he can ask for.

I thought he said he would retire if he got hurt again before this season?

with the exception of Jordan Hill, the Lakers started a D-League caliber squad tonight:
Jordan Clarkson
Wayne Ellington
Ryan Kelly
Robert Sacre
Jordan Hill

with the exception of Jordan Hill, the Lakers started a D-League caliber squad tonight:
Jordan Clarkson
Wayne Ellington
Ryan Kelly
Robert Sacre
Jordan Hill

Now that Kobe's stubborn ass is out of the picture, the tank will be in full effect. Not that they need to tank on most nights though. With a pick that's top 5 protected...this is the best thing long term. They need to be able to keep that pick, draft somebody legit, and have Randle come back healthy(his injury made me sick) and at least have some kind of young foundation to build on.

There has been absolutely zero luck for the Lakers since David Stern vetoed the Chris Paul trade. Literally everything that could go wrong, has.

Jordan Clarkson
Wayne Ellington
Ryan Kelly
Robert Sacre
Jordan Hill
Before Melo's recent return, the Knicks were offering summer league-caliber basketball in January.

with all the nba tanking talk this season perhaps it's time to flip the nba draft equation. top teams pick first. bottoms beware.