OT: UConn Students Welcome Texas to Storrs | Syracusefan.com

OT: UConn Students Welcome Texas to Storrs

Rambunctious little fellows

Well, our crowd would be sleeping or knitting or something. Glad to see some school spirit. It disturbs me when I see a half full student section then walk to the car seeing countless kids walking around doing nothing.

Well, our crowd would be sleeping or knitting or something. Glad to see some school spirit. It disturbs me when I see a half full student section then walk to the car seeing countless kids walking around doing nothing.
I'm not sure if what UConn did is bad or not. If it was us or Pitt I'd get it; but there really is no rivalry. We would say "F You" to Baylor or Cal?

I'm not sure if what UConn did is bad or not. If it was us or Pitt I'd get it; but there really is no rivalry. We would say "F You" to Baylor or Cal?

We wouldn't but that's the point. Why do something to Texas (before they cut your hearts out).

But whatever. They probably haven't played each other in 15-20 years. Probably won't again either.

We wouldn't but that's the point. Why do something to Texas (before they cut your hearts out).

But whatever. They probably haven't played each other in 15-20 years. Probably won't again either.
They played each other in Texas in 2011; but your point still stands. DIdn't make sense

it screams small time. they feel a constant need to prove themselves at every corner and it results in poor sportsmanship. I can only imagine what it was like for them when we went in as #1 and beat them in gampel. gampel is a joke, a normal program would play the high profile games in the biggest arena available (the XL in Hartford). that's what villanova does. they don't, probably because their athletic department is run by womens basketball fans.

Maybe because Texas will be in the ACC well before UConn ever would.

That was similar to the reception that SU fans (not the team, but just ordinary fans) got at the game at Storrs in 2012 (which I hope is the last game we ever play there). I had a smallish 10-year-old boy with me... whose sister had just died... and whose father was in ICU with serious brain injuries after a near-fatal car accident. I had gotten the tickets at the request of the boy's grandparents ... as a treat for the boy who is a Syracuse fan ... and we were both wearing orange. So there we were, a woman of a certain age and a child... and we were getting pretty foul abuse from students, many of whom were clearly under the influence. It was, of all things, ESPN Game Day... and Dickie V spent most of his time that evening leading the student section in cheers that were choreographed by ESPN.

The good news is that we won... and clinched the Big East Championship that night.

The bad news is that the Big East Deputy Commissioner had to give us the trophy in our locker room... because they were afraid of the reaction it would have engendered from UConn fans if they did it on the court.

Seriously, you cannot make this stuff up.

Last edited:
That was similar to the reception that SU fans (not the team, but just ordinary fans) got at the game at Storrs in 2012 (which I hope is the last game we ever play there). I had a smallish 10-year-old boy with me... whose sister had just died... and whose father was in ICU after a near-fatal car accident. I had gotten the tickets at the request of the boy's grandparents ... as a treat for the boy who is a Syracuse fan ... and we were both wearing orange. So there we were, a woman of a certain age and a child... and we were getting pretty foul abuse from students, many of whom were clearly under the influence. It was, of all things, ESPN Game Day... and Dickie V spent most of his time that evening leading the student section in cheers that were choreographed by ESPN.

The good news is that we won... and clinched the Big East Championship that night.

The bad news is that the Big East Deputy Commissioner had to give us the trophy in our locker room... because they were afraid of the reaction it would have engendered from UConn fans if they did it on the court.

Seriously, you cannot make this stuff up.

I wish those were the only things said to us in Storrs that night. Brutal fans. Celebrating our Big East title in their bars after was fun though.

orangehomer said:
it screams small time. they feel a constant need to prove themselves at every corner and it results in poor sportsmanship. I can only imagine what it was like for them when we went in as #1 and beat them in gampel. gampel is a joke, a normal program would play the high profile games in the biggest arena available (the XL in Hartford). that's what villanova does. they don't, probably because their athletic department is run by womens basketball fans.

Other than money I never understood why they don't play all their games at gampel. There was a time when they sold out Hartford, but now they barely fill Gampel.

Going into Gampel and beating them was awesome. Meant much more than beating them in Hartford.

It's bizarre because they have the ships -- but they still feel inadequate and have a complex since nobody wants to touch their program.

Can see a regular showing on the JUNK Yard.

Low Class (excuse me No Class) Fan Base in General.

Such a creative chant!