OT: Under Armour attempting to terminate $280M contract with UCLA | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

OT: Under Armour attempting to terminate $280M contract with UCLA

Is UA the new 'Starter'? I remember in the early '90's when everyone wanted a Starter hat and jacket (I still have my SU starter winter pullover. One of the best coats I've owned). It didn't take long for it to turn into a Walmart brand.

Under Armour was never cool. I own a few Starter jackets (Mets, Rangers and Syracuse) and they still get compliments. UA doesn't have any nostalgia factor to it because they never product that appealed to anyone outside of workout gear.

When I saw this, my first thought was about California passing that law that players should be treated as employees and were entitled to be paid. Not that Under Armour is going under.
Occam's Razor -
When you hear hoofbeats, think "horse", not "zebra".
Even if that law was a part of this, it would affect the schools, not UA, because the athletes would be paid by the schools.

Occam's Razor - Even if that law was a part of this, it would affect the schools, not UA, because the athletes would be paid by the schools.

Well, let's just say that it's curious, then, that the next school they are looking to break their contract with is also in California. There are plenty of crappy schools out there...

Well, let's just say that it's curious, then, that the next school they are looking to break their contract with is also in California. There are plenty of crappy schools out there...
Purely and simply, having Cal and UCLA as partners/whatever you want to call them hasn't delivered the big bucks that UA thought they would get. The law doesn't affect UA anymore than it affects the caterer for the schools' training tables or any other contractor with the athletic department. Any money going to athletes would be a pass-through coming out of the schools' revenue. UA/the caterer/any other contractor is not going to be writing any checks to the athletes.

When I saw this, my first thought was about California passing that law that players should be treated as employees and were entitled to be paid. Not that Under Armour is going under.
Why would that bother Under Armour? BC has also come out and said they’re having discussions with them about their deal.

Why would that bother Under Armour? BC has also come out and said they’re having discussions with them about their deal.

One possible outcome, if athletes were treated as employees, is that they have collective bargaining rights, health insurance, etc. Does the shoe contract become subject to a CBA? Things like that may lie down the road.

Under Armour was never cool. I own a few Starter jackets (Mets, Rangers and Syracuse) and they still get compliments. UA doesn't have any nostalgia factor to it because they never product that appealed to anyone outside of workout gear.

still?

But workout gear has become its own segment and they kind of pioneered it. Nobody was wearing the skin tight stuff you see everywhere until they came out with it. Back in the Starter days the only workout stuff you saw advertised were cross trainer shoes.

still?

Yes. Still. The jackets are in mint condition and there's a market for it among my age group. The same jackets can easily fetch a couple hundred because of how presentable they are.

I remember someone telling me I was a fool (not here) to buy Nike stock when UA was much better.

My Nike is a 5 banger for me. Brand is important but so is corporate deep pockets.

University ADs are willing to take less $$$ to get sponspered by Nike...that is huge.
How many Nike shares? :)

How many Nike shares? :)
Quite a few...I checked and it is actually a 7-8 banger. Got in at $11.50 a share

Ofcourse I remember I pulled back on buying 200 shares of Amazon for $33 I set a limit and it didn't hit... missed by 50 cents...

Sigh!!!

Quite a few...I checked and it is actually a 7-8 banger. Got in at $11.50 a share

Ofcourse I remember I pulled back on buying 200 shares of Amazon for $33 I set a limit and it didn't hit... missed by 50 cents...

Sigh!!!

Don't sweat it, Mark - when it comes to selling early, a wise man once said "never be afraid to take a profit."

good move for them. Wish we were jordan brand with the connections we have.

Good for the Syracuse Area...Maverik/Cascade has a decent size operation just north of the city in Liverpool