OT: update on Asheville | Syracusefan.com

OT: update on Asheville

stuckinbig11

All American
We got 8" of rain on Thursday and another 8" on Friday morning. A dam on the Swannanoa River burst, and the river that flows below the hill where we live turned into a lake. Roads are washed out and stores like our Walgreens and Lowes are completely gone. By Friday morning, most of Asheville had lost power, water, internet, and cell service. There are no predictions when they will be restored. What is missed most? Water to flush toilets.

Like many of our neighbors with options, we left town this morning to stay with family elsewhere. We are headed to D.C. to stay with daughter Julie and family, but made a stop on the way to visit granddaughter Anna, a freshman at Randolph-Macon College--hope to see the bball court where she plans to play. Her younger sister Ella is with us because her high school is closed indefinitely with no power and water.

Last night was the first time that I had access to a computer and internet since Thursday night. When will we get home? Nobody knows.

My grand nephew started working at UNC Asheville in June. Being raised in upstate New York, he's never seen anything like this. He was able to escape and is staying in the Charlotte area (Cornelius) with a roommate's family. His new car is all dinged up from debris/trees in the roads. He's been told it will be 2 to 3 weeks before power is restored (but who knows). Thank God he's safe.

My grand nephew started working at UNC Asheville in June. Being raised in upstate New York, he's never seen anything like this. He was able to escape and is staying in the Charlotte area (Cornelius) with a roommate's family. His new car is all dinged up from debris/trees in the roads. He's been told it will be 2 to 3 weeks before power is restored (but who knows). Thank God he's safe.
My son is a hydrogeology prof at UNCA. We got a notice that our power will be restored on Oct. 4, but water is another story.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CB277777

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom