OT: US and Canadian Endowments... | Syracusefan.com

OT: US and Canadian Endowments...

jr4750

All American
So slow on here I decided to look up where SU ranked in cumulative endowments after seeing that they have raised $985M in their capital campaign to date. In 2010 we ranked #76 with roughly $850M. While our increase pushed us to $913 at the end of FY 2011 our ranking fell into the 80s. Obviously, 2008 was a rough year. Some interesting names above us, including the University of Rochester. Perhaps, Kodak has been generous. Anyway, check out the haves and have not's (Rutgers)...

http://www.nacubo.org/Documents/res...wment_Market_Values_Final_January_17_2012.pdf

So slow on here I decided to look up where SU ranked in cumulative endowments after seeing that they have raised $985M in their capital campaign to date. In 2010 we ranked #76 with roughly $850M. While our increase pushed us to $913 at the end of FY 2011 our ranking fell into the 80s. Obviously, 2008 was a rough year. Some interesting names above us, including the University of Rochester. Perhaps, Kodak has been generous. Anyway, check out the haves and have not's (Rutgers)...

http://www.nacubo.org/Documents/res...wment_Market_Values_Final_January_17_2012.pdf

U of R has raised about $830million in a $1.2 billion campaign. One alumnus pledged $30 million and Tom Golisano is chipping in another $20 million. I doubt Kodak has been involved much, seeing as they entered bankruptcy recently.

This is why I have a hard time when people say we can't afford coaches or whatever.

The cash is there. It's just not allocated for that kind of thing.

But it is there.

If I recall correctly, SU's endowment took a major hit in 2008. I know most portfolios did, but Syracuse's performed much worse than their peer group. I remember reading that our endowment was one of the 5 worst performing in that year.

That has a lot to do with it, especially when talking compounding returns.

If I recall correctly, SU's endowment took a major hit in 2008. I know most portfolios did, but Syracuse's performed much worse than their peer group. I remember reading that our endowment was one of the 5 worst performing in that year.

That has a lot to do with it, especially when talking compounding returns.
who the hell do they have managing their money? good lord - they were one of the five worst in 2008 and if you look at that list they had the 3rd worst return out of the top 120 schools last year. Talk about repeatedly shooting yourself in the foot. Get some decent money managers for god's sake.

Medical patents have a lot to do with it. U of R is a major medical research center.

Medical patents have a lot to do with it. U of R is a major medical research center.
UR has a lot of medical patents
SU has a lot of mental patients

As far as endowment goes, a few letters make all the difference.

That list highlights the absolute obscenity that is college tuition costs in this country.

I thought that too... QUite frankly no one should pay to go to the top 20 schools. They should have to donate their tuition money (if possible) to charities instead...

who the hell do they have managing their money? good lord - they were one of the five worst in 2008 and if you look at that list they had the 3rd worst return out of the top 120 schools last year. Talk about repeatedly shooting yourself in the foot. Get some decent money managers for god's sake.

SU's Treasurer hires money managers and distributes endowment and other funds to them for investing.

Keep in mind that most of the funds in any university's endowment is restricted to certain purposes (mostly scholarships and budgetary expenses). The funds aren't readily available. There are spending policies (floors and caps) that dictate how much is able to be spent in any given year. However, there could be certain funds established to support a coaches salary. But it would have to be quite large to fully support the pay and benefits. I'd say at least $25M to support a $1M a year coaches position.

Keep in mind that most of the funds in any university's endowment is restricted to certain purposes (mostly scholarships and budgetary expenses). The funds aren't readily available. There are spending policies (floors and caps) that dictate how much is able to be spent in any given year. However, there could be certain funds established to support a coaches salary. But it would have to be quite large to fully support the pay and benefits. I'd say at least $25M to support a $1M a year coaches position.

I understand that. But when you see that schools have $10 BILLION endowments, or even mediocre levels like SU's is just under $1 BILLION, you realize what a massive money-making machine higher education has become. In and of itself that doesn't bother me, I'm a capitalist, but they're "non-profit", and the new normal of having kids and their families go into staggering amounts of debt to finance a degree is really unsustainable, and more than a little despicable.

I understand that. But when you see that schools have $10 BILLION endowments, or even mediocre levels like SU's is just under $1 BILLION, you realize what a massive money-making machine higher education has become. In and of itself that doesn't bother me, I'm a capitalist, but they're "non-profit", and the new normal of having kids and their families go into staggering amounts of debt to finance a degree is really unsustainable, and more than a little despicable.

The larger the endowment, the more financial aid that is provided making it more affordable to the students who have a financial need. But I agree with what you are saying. Congress will be cracking down on the not for profit community in the coming years. Especially athletic programs. They'll charge some sort of unrelated business income tax on the profits. That's my guess.

That list highlights the absolute obscenity that is college tuition costs in this country.
There has been muttering for years that the Ivies are approaching the point where tuition is waived for all students.

This report really highlights the disparities between the have's and have not's. Thank you for posting, it's very interesting.

The larger the endowment, the more financial aid that is provided making it more affordable to the students who have a financial need. But I agree with what you are saying. Congress will be cracking down on the not for profit community in the coming years. Especially athletic programs. They'll charge some sort of unrelated business income tax on the profits. That's my guess.

Sure, but we wouldn't need all this "financial aid" if it weren't for the skyrocketing costs of college education which is driven in no small part by massive federal support of the odious student loan system and the orgy of uncontrolled spending by college administrators.

It's a friggin' death spiral.

Sure, but we wouldn't need all this "financial aid" if it weren't for the skyrocketing costs of college education which is driven in no small part by massive federal support of the odious student loan system and the orgy of uncontrolled spending by college administrators.

It's a friggin' death spiral.
Pretty much.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

some schools in the top 20 have actually instituted programs to cap the level of debt a student comes out for (i believe many of the programs are geared towards family income levels under $100k).

also, a stat i heard at the school i went to is that tuition actually doesn't fully cover the cost of education and that's why all schools need donations/an endowment

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom