OT US Open | Syracusefan.com

OT US Open

Hang it up already, Chris. I can stand him for football. Golf, not so much.

Tirico was on this morning and early afternoon. Maybe Berman is on because the tournament is running so far behind. We can only hope today is the last of him.
Chris needs to retire while more people remember his good years rather than the last ten.

Bah rumbling stumbling (put sound affect here) tiger woods bogeys the first hole!

Shoot me now. Chris Berman lead announcer for ESPN. (n)

I don't know if there is an announcer that I have done such a stark 180 on. When I was growing up (born in 79), I loved Berman. Now, I can't stand him for any sport.

It's like time passed him by, but he has refused to change his gimmick.

I don't know if there is an announcer that I have done such a stark 180 on. When I was growing up (born in 79), I loved Berman. Now, I can't stand him for any sport.

It's like time passed him by, but he has refused to change his gimmick.

He is a lot like Vitale in that he become more of a side show act.

he should not be doing golf. I hate when they put him on

18-year-old kid from Rochester, Gavin Hall, one under, albeit only after rain-shortened 5 holes.

If in some alternate universe he ever called the Masters on the weekend, I couldn't begin to fathom the reaction.

If in some alternate universe he ever called the Masters on the weekend, I couldn't begin to fathom the reaction.

I don't expect the crusty old curmudgeons who run the Masters would ever stipulate to having an "entertainer" cover their tournament. They answer to no one but themselves, and want guys who will bow and scrape before their cherished tradition, rather than a self promoter. Berman was always an entertainer whose primary skill was the turn of an original phrase or the invention of a literary nickname. As such he was more of an MC than a commentator. Tough to continue being original for 30+ years, though.

I don't expect the crusty old curmudgeons who run the Masters would ever stipulate to having an "entertainer" cover their tournament. They answer to no one but themselves, and want guys who will bow and scrape before their cherished tradition, rather than a self promoter. Berman was always an entertainer whose primary skill was the turn of an original phrase or the invention of a literary nickname. As such he was more of an MC than a commentator. Tough to continue being original for 30+ years, though.

Of course it would never happen. But it's interesting to contemplate, because whereas McCord pissed off Masters officials but is generally liked by the viewers, a Berman citing would rile both and viewership might sink to Quad Cities Open levels.

Tiger looking like a non-factor once again.

Unfortunately, it'll likely be Sunday evening around 7:30 before the freaking networks reconcile themselves to that. ;)

He's four back at the US Open. Jezus.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom