OT: Volleyball coach canned | Syracusefan.com

OT: Volleyball coach canned

I guess they felt he has underachieved. They are 13-8, 3-3 in the conference. I have no idea how strong the BE is in volleyball. Maybe they thought he couldn't cut it in the ACC.

Coach Pu relieved of his duties... he he he

beavis.jpg

I guess they felt he has underachieved. They are 13-8, 3-3 in the conference. I have no idea how strong the BE is in volleyball. Maybe they thought he couldn't cut it in the ACC.

I think that record is pretty Rutgersesk ie weak schedule. Most of the best volleyball teams are west coast with a few in the midwest and Penn St the only real player in the east. I'm not sure what a realistic expectation is at SU though. Volleyball recruiting base in NY makes the football recruiting base look like Florida.

Was he here when Dr Gross arrived? Maybe TGD wants "his people" in place in all of the programs (Boeheim and Desko being obvious exceptions).

I think Pu was here...obviously he has someone in mind.

I think Pu was here...obviously he has someone in mind.
Pu predates TGD.

I suspect they play at Archbold. Perhaps TGD sees them playing at the Dome.

I'd agree that a higher profile replacement has likely been identified. I don't expect Karch Kirali to move his family out East, but who knows?

There are only two coaches left from the Jake Era. JAB (actually from the Les Dye Era) and JTD.

Pu predates TGD.

I'd agree that a higher profile replacement has likely been identified. I don't expect Karch Kirali to move his family out East, but who knows?

Don't they play in the Women's Building? I think they used to play in Manley but whether its the Women's Building or Archbold, I bet it would be a hard sell to get a real big-time type coach with the lack of facilities

I think that record is pretty Rutgersesk ie weak schedule. Most of the best volleyball teams are west coast with a few in the midwest and Penn St the only real player in the east. I'm not sure what a realistic expectation is at SU though. Volleyball recruiting base in NY makes the football recruiting base look like Florida.

The Northeast is not known for having very strong club volleyball programs. The travel teams from the Northeast tend to get clobbered in the national club tournaments. My daughter played on a low ranked power team in New England, and I don't think any of the girls on the strongest teams in the region were offered anything better than a high D2 or low D1 scholarship.

As you stated, the strongest players on a national scale (the ones that get scholarship offers from D1 schools in the BCS conferences) tend to be from California, Hawaii, some of the western states or they are international. Looking at the SU roster, I saw only two players (out of 18) from New York, and I have a feeling that they are walk-ons giving their playing time.

Making a change is one thing. Doing it in the middle of the season?

For women's volleyball?

I just don't understand the urgency unless the coach violated some rule.

And who is Rene Baumgartner, the new Chief of Staff for the Athletic Department?

Making a change is one thing. Doing it in the middle of the season?
For women's volleball?
I just don't understand the urgency unless the coach violated some rule.
And who is Rene Baumgartner, the new Chief of Staff for the Athletic Department?
I agree - strange timing. Wonder if there are some behind-the-scene issues...

Heard from a pretty good source that Pu wasn't even the coach for some of the matches -- that he didn't even show up to a match at one point and the assistant took over as the head coach for him.

If true, and I have no reason to believe it wouldn't be, then mid-season is appropriate IMO.

Also, the VB team plays a very weak schedule in the non-conference, making their records look much better than they are.

Pu predates TGD.

I am lobbying for Gabby Reece.
gabrielle_reece_and_husband_laird_hamilton.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom