OT: What goes with the NYC pro teams... | Syracusefan.com

OT: What goes with the NYC pro teams...

cto

Administrator
In the NBA, the Knicks and Nets have long since been eliminated from playoffs.

In the NHL, the Rangers and Islanders are eliminated and the Devils (actually a NJ team) are on the verge of elimination.

In the NFL last fall, the Giants and Jets had two of the worst records in the league.

And in MLB, the Mets finished 27 games out of first place last fall.

Only the Yankees showed any sign of competitiveness, making it to the ALCS.

So we have eight losing teams out of nine. And this despite these teams having the resources to get anyone they want in the free agent market to come to the media capital of the world.

In the past, NYC generally had at least one competitive team in each sport.

So what is the problem now? Is it front office ineptitude? The pressure of playing in NYC? The distractions that come with playing in NYC?

(Yes, I know this is off-topic; it is identified as such. But anything sports-related is better than another "Does Tyus leave?" thread).

Last edited:
In the NBA, the Knicks and Nets have long since been eliminated from playoff contention

In the NHL, the Rangers and Islanders are eliminated and the Devils (actually a NJ team) are on the verge of elimination.

In the NFL last fall, the Giants and Jets had two of the worst records in the league.

So we have eight losing teams out of nine. And this despite these teams having the resources to get anyone they want in the free agent market.

In the past, NYC generally had at least one competitive team in each sport
So what is the problem now? Is it front office ineptitude? The pressure of playing in NYC? The distractions that come with playing in NYC?
I don't think the ny sports scene has ever been this bad. Its going to be a good baseball season the Yankees should be really good and I think my mets will surprise some people.

Shoddy ownership (looking at you Dolan, Woody, Wilpons), cost of living I believe plays a part in luring free agents, endorsement money can be just as big anywhere now which never used to be the case, pressure for sure. One of the main reasons for me is the media. Free agents are no doubt affected by it and play a big reason in not coming. Ny media will find any little thing and harp on it until the cows come home. Living here my whole life its just non stop negativity, I swear that most beat writers and reporters want the teams to be bad and just general chaos .

Shoddy ownership (looking at you Dolan, Woody, Wilpons), cost of living I believe plays a part in luring free agents, endorsement money can be just as big anywhere now which never used to be the case, pressure for sure. One of the main reasons for me is the media. Free agents are no doubt affected by it and play a big reason in not coming. Ny media will find any little thing and harp on it until the cows come home. Living here my whole life its just non stop negativity, I swear that most beat writers and reporters want the teams to be bad and just general chaos .
Aren't some of those writers on this board?

Bad ownership especially with the Mets. The Wilponzi's should have been forced to sell the team after their involvement with Madoff. They operate the Mets like a small market team and use revenue to fund their other ventures.

So we have eight losing teams out of nine. And this despite these teams having the resources to get anyone they want in the free agent market to come to the media capital of the world.

(Yes, I know this is off-topic, and is identified as such. But anything sports-related is better than another "Does Tyus leave?" thread).
Giants and Jets, also NJ teams.

Giants and Jets, also NJ teams.
They are NY teams that play in a close-in NYC suburb. No one calls them the New Jersey Giants or the New Jersey Jets. ;)

They are NY teams that play in a close-in NYC suburb. No one calls them the New Jersey Giants or the New Jersey Jets. ;)

For some reason, this only happens with the Giants and Jets. I never hear anyone call the Washington Redskins the Maryland Redskins. I also hate when people say the New York football Giants as if the baseball Giants just left town a year ago. It’s been 60 years!

(Yes, I know this is off-topic, and is identified as such. But anything sports-related is better than another "Does Tyus leave?" thread).
In the age of social media, you don't need to play in a big city to get attention and be a big star.

Aside from the Yankees, Cuse basketball is the most consistent, and it could be argued that we are indeed the most consistent, sports team in NYS including the NYC metro area. JB has done an amazing job. We can never be counted out and next year should be a return to glory.

The major problem is front office/ownership ineptitude. The Yankees are always good because they have always had a great front office and owners who want to win. The Rupert family and Ed Barrow to the Steinbrenner family and Brian Cashman. Only years they had bad ownership they sucked with CBS. Even in the 80s when they made the playoffs one time they were fielding good teams some of which would have made the wild card in today's game.

If you expand beyond the Big 4 leagues to include MLS you have NYCFC who are owned by City Football Group (Manchester City, Melbourne City) and the Yankees. They are currently the top team in MLS in their 4th year in existence -- the past two seasons they finished second in the eastern conference. The NY Red Bulls also have a good front office/ownership and have finished the regular season in first place 4 times since 2010.

Sports are all about people behind the scenes not only putting good players on the roster, but players who mesh with the existing players, team culture, and strategy.

(Yes, I know this is off-topic, and it is identified as such. But anything sports-related is better than another "Does Tyus leave?" thread).

As a Devils fan, I’ll correct this - the Devils are currently in a playoff spot if the season ended today and ARE NOT on the verge of elimination. With the way they’ve played against the better eastern conference teams this year, all I want is for them to get in because they’ve got at least a puncher’s chance against anyone.

On the overall point, I think most NY teams have horrible ownership groups that don’t prioritize winning - so they don’t win. Dolan is an egomaniac, Wilpon is just trying to hang on to the franchise, Giants messed up when they didn’t fire Reece either instead of or along with TC...the Yankees prioritize winning. Not surprisingly, as a result they win.

For some reason, this only happens with the Giants and Jets. I never hear anyone call the Washington Redskins the Maryland Redskins. I also hate when people say the New York football Giants as if the baseball Giants just left town a year ago. It’s been 60 years!

I am almost certain if you call the team office, they still answer the phone as “The New York Football Giants”. I know they were still doing that within the last decade - so you may need to take up your beef with the team since they self-identify that way (I think).

(Yes, I know this is off-topic, and it is identified as such. But anything sports-related is better than another "Does Tyus leave?" thread).

I remember in the year or so leading up to Lebron's "decision", to me, an older hoops loving guy who grew up in the Northeast, going to the Knicks was a no brainer. NYC and MSG are still special to me, but those days are long gone. There is a whole generation of kids for whom those two things mean nothing.

Don't the Devil's play in a close in NYC suburb.;)

It is due to a) the culture of the NE; b) the lack of talent in the NE; c) soccer and lacrosse; d) too many other things to do; e) Andrew Cuomo; f) the 2-3 zone; or g) all of the above.

Amen, brother.
Careful! I got "yelled at" for expressing that sentiment on the "New York Football Giants" thread on the "Other Sports" board because that's their corporate name. Corporately, the Mets are "The New York Metropolitan Baseball Club."

H&H Bagels came back to the upper west side, though!

Ownership, General Management, Coaching.

You need good ownership, front office and coaching.

Ah, this is the one day of the year when we don't mention stuff like this. The Mets are tied for first place. All is right in in the world.

Except, of course, I'm missing my first Opening Day in years. Stupid work getting in the way of afternoon baseball and day-drinking in Flushing.

Reactions: cto

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom