ot:when i was a kid i would go to basketball camps | Syracusefan.com

ot:when i was a kid i would go to basketball camps

orangehomer

All American
for instance Potsdam st. had a camp when jerry welsh was coach (tim welsh father). it was a great camp, and for those that don't know the Potsdam st. teams were nuts in the mid-80's. I also went to golden valley, where king rice went. king rice, for those who don't know was a UNC recruit, PG, and I think ultimately made a final four with him. now he coaches Monmouth. so at golden valley one thing they would do, is bring in a "star" and have him 1v1 a kid from camp. king rice was the star for one of the camps and the kid almost beat him 1v1, a small kid at that. another star a different year was david Johnson of Syracuse. nicest guy ever. they also had an all star game of "kids from the camp" versus kids that were playing on the empire state team. let's put it this way, bob lazor was on the empire team and I think I was in tenth grade or so, I had never seen a human that size move like that.

larry costello (former coach of the bucks) used to put on a bball camp i was fortunate enuf to attend as a youngster. learned a lot.

I went to Golden Valley as well. I played against Mark Jackson... Mark Jackson vs. 3 campers. We barely won, he was unbelievable! Good memories of that place.

larry costello (former coach of the bucks) used to put on a bball camp i was fortunate enuf to attend as a youngster. learned a lot.
I saw Larry at a camp once. One of the rims was broken, and kids were complaining that they could not shoot FTs on the broken rim.
Larry stepped up and hit 100 in a row on that rim.
He also said you should NEVER follow your shot. If you did, it meant you were thinking about missing, and you should never think you were gonna miss.

Last edited:
i've told this story here before but day one of camp i hit like 7 jumpers in row. larry came over to me and said "son if you want to get that shot off against better competition you need to raise your release point at least 10 inches. " i don't think i hit another shot at camp.
but he was right. i had to change my shot and eventually found range. and he made me 10x better as a defender against bigger players.

I also went to Golden Valley every year - was in a dunk contest with Kenny Smith once. Safe to say I didn't win. Also saw a camper break Carnesecca's thumb one year throwing him a pass after Lou told him to put some mustard on his passes. Great memories from that camp.