OT: Who can wear hats during the National Anthem? | Syracusefan.com

OT: Who can wear hats during the National Anthem?

cliftonparksufan

Iggy Award Czar/Co 2020-21 Iggy Award Winner PPG
I always thought it was just military men in uniform but watching ball games, it appears to be anyone in uniforms (military, cops, scouts) and this attachment seems to back it up. And, when I googled this, it appears the rules are different for men and women. Unless I am mistaken, I don't think women need to remove their hats at all.

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Who_can_wear_hats_during_the_national_anthem

U.S.Code

TITLE 36 > Subtitle I > Part A > CHAPTER 3 > § 301
Prev | Next
§ 301. National anthem
How Current is This?
(a) Designation.--- The composition consisting of the words and music known as the Star-Spangled Banner is the national anthem.
(b) Conduct During Playing.--- During a rendition of the national anthem---
(1) when the flag is displayed---
(A) individuals in uniform should give the military salute at the first note of the anthem and maintain that position until the last note;
(B) members of the Armed Forces and veterans who are present but not in uniform may render the military salute in the manner provided for individuals in uniform; and
(C) all other persons present should face the flag and stand at attention with their right hand over the heart, and men not in uniform, if applicable, should remove their headdress with their right hand and hold it at the left shoulder, the hand being over the heart; and
(2) when the flag is not displayed, all present should face toward the music and act in the same manner they would if the flag were displayed.

Women never have to remove their hats. That probably dates back to when they wore fancy hats, held in place with a bunch of hatpins.

It would make sense, however, for them to remove baseball caps that are identical to the caps men are wearing.

Since I never wear a hat, it's never been an issue for me

Last edited:
Here's a queston: When you are at home watching a game on TV and for some reason they show the anthem being sung, do you stand?

I'll hang up and listen to your answer.

Here's a queston: When you are at home watching a game on TV and for some reason they show the anthem being sung, do you stand?

According to what I read it's not required by code. However I think it depends on how much liquid has been consumed.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Women never have to remove their hats. That probably dates back to when they wore fancy hats, held in place with a bunch of hatpins.

It would make sense, however, for them to remove baseball caps that are identical to the caps men are wearing.

That's right - you wear an owl, perched intimidatingly on your shoulder. Sometimes multiple owls (when the occasion warrants multiplicity).

Fie, shame and woe on those lugubrious souls who try to move them there menacing raptors.

That's right - you wear an owl, perched intimidatingly on your shoulder. Sometimes multiple owls (when the occasion warrants multiplicity).

Fie, shame and woe on those lugubrious souls who try to move them there menacing raptors.
That's funny. In my Arent Award video (which a number of folks here saw at the Arents Award dinner that year), there is actually a live owl on my arm in one segment.

That's funny. In my Arent Award video (which a number of folks here saw at the Arents Award dinner that year), there is actually a live owl on my arm in one segment.
Outstanding.

Someone with considerable photoshop skills needs to get his or her hands on a pic of CTO from the Arent video she references and photoshop in rows of owls on each arm. I suspect the effect will be augmented if said owls are of ascending size from wrist to shoulder.

What if you had Cancer treatment's and you lost your Hair and wanted to leave your hat on?

I'm rarely sitting when at the game or at home, especially before the game stats.

The pacing drives my wife nuts.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom