OT: Whoa. Kobe Tears Achilles. | Syracusefan.com

OT: Whoa. Kobe Tears Achilles.

Symphony Steve

All American
Doing a move he's done tens of thousands of times before. No contact, just gave way:

http://nba.si.com/2013/04/13/kobe-bryant-achilles-injury-lakers-warriors/?eref=sihp

Say what you will, but Bryant is a warrior with an implacable will to win. One of the best ever.

While he, of course, refuses to consider the possibility, I will. With all of that mileage on his legs, we may have seen the last of Kobe as a superstar player.

Hope I'm wrong.

I think he will bust his ass to get back, not sure what the recover time is.If he cannot play at a super star level when he makes it back he will retire IMO, he's said a few times he doesn't want to play and not be the man.

I agree. Torn achilles at the age of 34 with all the tread off those tires...hey, at least the guy is probably qualified to be a GM. Some might say he already is the GM in LA. Although that whole D'Antoni thing would put a damper on that theory...

I think Kobe has a very good bball mind but he may not have the patience to be a GM and he would expect player to work very hard to be great like he has although most do not.

The question is does the Lakers amnesty Kobe. Kobe has already stated that next year may be his last now he probably couldn't even play until around the all-star break. The Lakers own him 30.5 mill next year if the Lakers amnesty Kobe they will still have to pay him the 30.5 mill but the the Lakers would save at least 30.5 mill in luxury tax and maybe 61 mill very interesting.

That's what happens when you have a coach who plays a 34 year old 40+ minutes a night. That never would happen with Phil there.

The question is does the Lakers amnesty Kobe. Kobe has already stated that next year may be his last now he probably couldn't even play until around the all-star break. The Lakers own him 30.5 mill next year if the Lakers amnesty Kobe they will still have to pay him the 30.5 mill but the the Lakers would save at least 30.5 mill in luxury tax and maybe 61 mill very interesting.

I think from an economic position they absolutely have to. Which if Kobe rehabs and feels he still has it could make things very interesting middle of next season. I mean he would be gettng paid and could take a flyer with a 6-10 spot team in either confernence that was willing to change its dynamic for a shot at a playoff run. He could try an already loaded team but his usage is so high that I doubt many serious contenders would risk it and I don't think he'd want to do that just to earn another ring as a 3rd wheel.

Obviously conventional wisdom says this destroys any likelihood of a playoff run that the Lakers had, but is there any possible chance that the Lakers actually improve like the Celtics surprisingly did when Rondo went down?

Bill Simmons' "Ewing Theory"

I think from an economic position they absolutely have to. Which if Kobe rehabs and feels he still has it could make things very interesting middle of next season. I mean he would be gettng paid and could take a flyer with a 6-10 spot team in either confernence that was willing to change its dynamic for a shot at a playoff run. He could try an already loaded team but his usage is so high that I doubt many serious contenders would risk it and I don't think he'd want to do that just to earn another ring as a 3rd wheel.
Melo is one of his closes friends in the league... he is also one of his only friends in the league. If he leaves LA where else would go besides NY

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

Have the Lakers really not used their amnesty yet?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Obviously conventional wisdom says this destroys any likelihood of a playoff run that the Lakers had, but is there any possible chance that the Lakers actually improve like the Celtics surprisingly did when Rondo went down?

Bill Simmons' "Ewing Theory"

I doubt it, especially with the Diantoni taking months to figure out how to get Pau and Howard both playing and of course the fact that that stink like all Diantoni teams on D and Kobe was one of their only good defenders of course he had to play 40+ min a game and do everything else for them as well.

Melo is one of his closes friends in the league... he is also one of his only friends in the league. If he leaves LA where else would go besides NY

I had that thought as well and the way the Knicks move the ball in Woodson offense I could see Kobe and Melo coexisting for a short period if time. Kobe at full strength in the playoffs would also give the Knicks an excellent perimeter defender, winning leadership and another guy who could not be defended and helpes create open looks for their shooters. Felton, JR, Kobe, Melo and Chandler as the "SMALL" line up would be almost impossible to guard. Leave Chandler and he will kill you on the glass and roll to the hoop anytime you double. Felton is hard enough to keep out of the paint when you don't cheat off of him and the other 3 can score on anyone at any time plus everyone except Chandler could hit from anywhere.

Have the Lakers really not used their amnesty yet?

Nope one of about 10 teams I believe.

Nope one of about 10 teams I believe.

How about that?

Doing a move he's done tens of thousands of times before. No contact, just gave way:

http://nba.si.com/2013/04/13/kobe-bryant-achilles-injury-lakers-warriors/?eref=sihp

Say what you will, but Bryant is a warrior with an implacable will to win. One of the best ever.

While he, of course, refuses to consider the possibility, I will. With all of that mileage on his legs, we may have seen the last of Kobe as a superstar player.

Hope I'm wrong.
I watched the first three quarters of the Warriors vs Lakers game on League Pass and they had the Laker feed. Kobe was hurting really bad, his knee, his hip, his leg. He could barely walk but he was still giving 110% (of course the Kobe hater in me thinks part of him was acting since he'd get knocked down and then couldn't get up but was still running up and down knocking down threes and this happened a couple times). The Laker announcers couldn't believe he was still playing and this was in the 3rd quarter. Like I said, I am a Kobe hater, but I admire what he brings and he is an amazing athlete and player. It would not surprise me at all to see him come back stronger and better.