Our Approach in the First Half of Games | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Our Approach in the First Half of Games

Why does this team look unprepared?

• Playcalling

• Lack of talent

• Poor game prep

• Poor player development

Results are only viewable after voting.
I will say this - the first three years I felt like when we had the ball we knew what we wanted to do and we're aggressive about trying it.

This season it feels like we're playing things a little too cute to probe the defense.

Completely agree with this and I could be off base but it feels like we’re trying to force the run too much as well. I never felt that other than some spots the first 3 years. We used to make short passes kind of our version of runs and I feel like we’re not doing that. Although we saw some of that the 2nd half of Ncstate

I will say this - the first three years I felt like when we had the ball we knew what we wanted to do and we're aggressive about trying it.

This season it feels like we're playing things a little too cute to probe the defense.

They’ve gotta turn up that probing to colonoscopy level if they’re going get to the promised land.

Its called the definition of insanity. Dino is stubborn to a fault. He is bent on establishing the run. The problem is that we are weak at center, have an injured QB who doesn't like to run so nobody worries about him on the read option and we are cooked. Dino and Lynch can run this until the season runs out and it wont work. It will never work with this line and actually will never work with Tommy regardless of line play because running the ball isnt what he is about. This team needs to spread the D out and use the pass to set up the run. Its beyond obvious. Bailey as someone else mentioned and Whigham agree. Its actually a meathead move on Dinos part which i hope to God he abandons before he turns Tommy into an Andrew.

If you don't run into a 5 man box your throwing into the strength of the defense.

Those runs up the middle are read options. I dont recall Devito keeping it a single time save for the very sloppy fake and keep on 3rd and goal against Clemson. Running r-o without actually reading and optioning is self-defeating. If the end is going to crash you have to challenge. I don't see the willingness to do that.
And that right there is the #1 reason the offense has been so bad this year.

Definitely a lack of the same aggressive attitude both on the field and in the booth.

Gotta keep reminding ourselves this is a young team and there are alot of first year starters at key positions. Someone needs to step up and lead this team, especially on O. And there is no bsing, it's got to be leading with how you play.

And that right there is the #1 reason the offense has been so bad this year.
To be fair, there are a lot of reasons. More decisiveness in the pass game and getting the ball out quicker would take alot of pressure off in the run game and probably keep us out of alot of situations where r-o is the call. We've gotten away from the screen game and throwing to the tight end which worked really well and caused the defense to adjust off of the outside which opens up the vertical game.

It's a number of things going wrong.

What happened to the two back set Dino said they were going to run this season? Seems like this formation would allow Tommy to check down to one of the backs in the flat when under pressure.

Yeah, I mean, the dude's clearly playing hurt so I can't fault him for it.
Can anyone back up this injury thing?

I'm not seeing it. I'm seeing wild speculation and a lot of echoes.

What I think is really going on is a bunch of guys trying to make themselves feel better about the quarterback being visibly petrified of taking a hit (let's be clear: dealing with that fear is not an easy thing to do).

Beyond a bruise or some soft tissue inflammation, I don't think he's significantly injured. Call me an idiot, but I believe in being honest, and the conversation would benefit from everyone just being honest.

What I think is really going on is a bunch of guys trying to make themselves feel better about the quarterback being visibly petrified of taking a hit (let's be clear: dealing with that fear is not an easy thing to do).

Beyond a bruise or some soft tissue inflammation, I don't think he's significantly injured. Call me an idiot, but I believe in being honest, and the conversation would benefit from everyone just being honest.
Bailey said it was clear he was wearing extra padding around his torso and looked to be uncomfortable repeatedly when being helped to his feet this past weekend. Sounds like it could be a rib injury.

Last edited:

It's not made up. He left the Holy Cross game and didn't return. It's been discussed in several threads and even commented on by his father. I don't think it's serious, but it clearly impacted him against NCSU on a couple of his runs.

...it clearly impacted him against NCSU on a couple of his runs.

Elaborate on this.

Point I was trying to make was he was very tentative before the HC incident. Played overly cautious and hesitant, clearly does not like contact. Obviously an injury will justifiably cause more cautious play. I just feel like the narrative has moved away from 'he's mentally taking himself out of games because he's afraid of getting hit' (where it belongs) to 'he's playing hurt so he's afraid to get hit'

Elaborate on this.

Point I was trying to make was he was very tentative before the HC incident. Played overly cautious and hesitant, clearly does not like contact. Obviously an injury will justifiably cause more cautious play. I just feel like the narrative has moved away from 'he's mentally taking himself out of games because he's afraid of getting hit' (where it belongs) to 'he's playing hurt so he's afraid to get hit'
Even when healthy Tommy doesn't want to get hit. He isn't a runner. Yes he can run and has good speed but he isnt a runner. He is a passer. His mind set is completely different from Erics. They are polar opposites. Add in the fact that he is 4 inches shorter and 30-40 pounds of muscle lighter than Eric and the read option isnt the same because TOMMY DOESN'T WANT TO RUN. Think Tom Brady and you have Tommy's mind set.

It seems like they are out thinking themselves with the play calling at the start of the game.
Go back to what we won with in the bast and what we saw late in the last game.
It was so frustrating to see us "figure it out" in the last 1/2 of the Q4 vs. NC State, and then run out of time. As many have stated, need to see that aggression and tempo from the start. Pitt will be missing their best CB for the 1st half so we better kick it up early.

If you don't run into a 5 man box your throwing into the strength of the defense.

Those runs up the middle are read options. I dont recall Devito keeping it a single time save for the very sloppy fake and keep on 3rd and goal against Clemson. Running r-o without actually reading and optioning is self-defeating. If the end is going to crash you have to challenge. I don't see the willingness to do that.
Totally agree. The deadly part is the qb keep or the pass off the keep. So basically 2/3 of that are gone. Under center may make sense.

Procedure
From what I have heard from my older physical therapy patients the prep you have to do a day or two before is worse than the procedure. You're asleep for the procedure.

From what I have heard from my older physical therapy patients the prep you have to do a day or two before is worse than the procedure. You're asleep for the procedure.
Oh good I may survive lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom