Our best by PFF grade by position | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Our best by PFF grade by position

We have lots of nice pieces.. Really if we had a take off the top WR and/or Passing rush DE that forced teams to really think about doubling we would have something and its pretty good right now.
Usually your PR KR guy has the skills to be the take of the top guy. I think Pena can get there.

I'm still a little old school in that I look at total yardage on O and D. It's always been a good indicator of who is dominating the game. But yeah, doesn't mean points, doesn't mean specials, doesn't mean turnovers. I get all that.

Anyhoo, halfway through, we are 9th in the country. 433 offense per game, 269 defense per game, 164 net.

Those above us are:

Ohio State 290
Georgia 280
Jimmy Madison 231
Michigan 224
Alabama 217
Illinois 195 (less offense, but their D is #1, just for those keeping transfer score at home)
UCF 188
Minny 179

We still have harder games on the schedule, but we spent so many years being outgained by anyone and everyone, that #9 is prettttayyyy good.

One sanity check they should be doing is to line up the average grades (weighted by the importance of the position) they give and compare to rankings of teams

This many highly ranked players seems implausible to me. A QB RB wr and tackle ranked that high should result in a complete offensive juggernaut

Well, you'll notice that we only have 1 lineman who is well regarded. Our best G is rated 96 (out of roughly 260) and our C is ranked 81st out of roughly 130.

I'm still a little old school in that I look at total yardage on O and D. It's always been a good indicator of who is dominating the game. But yeah, doesn't mean points, doesn't mean specials, doesn't mean turnovers. I get all that.

Anyhoo, halfway through, we are 9th in the country. 433 offense per game, 269 defense per game, 164 net.

Those above us are:

Ohio State 290
Georgia 280
Jimmy Madison 231
Michigan 224
Alabama 217
Illinois 195 (less offense, but their D is #1, just for those keeping transfer score at home)
UCF 188
Minny 179

We still have harder games on the schedule, but we spent so many years being outgained by anyone and everyone, that #9 is prettttayyyy good.
Yep

Scoring margin of plus 22.8
Plus 2 yds per play

This team is playing complimentary football at a high level.

Offense is not running plays just to run them, 65 per game and averaging only 10.6 possessions per game.

35 scores on 64 possessions, held the ball at the half 6 times.

Only 16 punts and 5 turnovers.

On pace to running less than 800 play in 12 games. OINOTTNF

Well, you'll notice that we only have 1 lineman who is well regarded. Our best G is rated 96 (out of roughly 260) and our C is ranked 81st out of roughly 130.
Our offense would be on another level if we had an oline that was top 50 across the board. That shouldn't be hard for Syracuse University to achieve.

That's one of reasons I'd like to see Hatcher and Adams getting more snaps going forward. Both can stretch the field more than Jackson, Cooper, Queeley, or Hayes.
They would be on the field if those guys were killing it. They also have to do the other things right. Cant just have guys on the field that are athletically gifted but hurt you in other areas.

Part of the issue is while it seems the oline is grading out well. If you really watch the whole field there are a bunch of plays where WR are getting open 25+ but the pass blocking fails. We probably had 4-5 plays last week with WRs running wide open in the deeper half and no way to get them the ball.
25% of the plays they have run have been for 10 or more yds.

It’s fine

25th overall, 40th vs just P5.

That’s better than just ordinary
51st vs fbs, that was what I had remembered seeing. I wanted to include UConn but not Wagner. Playing Wagner is kinda shameful.

Last edited:
I think that would be very difficult to achieve
We are top 20 in yards per pass play vs P5

That’s without an abundance of chunk pass plays

Our run per play is worse but was top 10 last year and appears to be improving this year (Tucker 7ypc against a tough NCST D)

51st vs fbs, that was what I had remembered seeing. I wanted to include UConn but not Wagner. Playing Wagner is kinda shameful.
Not running it up against UConn skewed the number downward. They shut it down for the fourth quarter

Not running it up against UConn skewed the number downward. They shut it down for the fourth quarter
Probably the same for other many other schools ahead of them

I think they'll end up around 60 when it's all said and done. Which is fine if the defense is good.

Last edited:
Probably the same for other many other schools ahead of them

I think they'll end up around 60 when it's all said and fine. Which is fine if the defense is good.
That doesn’t make sense since they are higher for all games and P5 only

Wasn’t SRS your go to? SU is 8th

That doesn’t make sense since they are higher for all games and P5 only

Wasn’t SRS your go to? SU is 8th
Murdering Wagner helped them in all games. Other teams must have killed bcs non p5 worse.

Offensive srs is 35th . Includes having a good kicker

Overall Srs is weighted scoring margin. I like that stat.

Yards per play predicted how good you are on offense. Including UConn and tossing Wagner, we are ordinary. Tossing neither or both we are a little better than that so far

Murdering Wagner helped them in all games. Other teams must have killed bcs non p5 worse.

Offensive srs is 35th . Includes having a good kicker

Overall Srs is weighted scoring margin. I like that stat.

Yards per play predicted how good you are on offense. Including UConn and tossing Wagner, we are ordinary. Tossing neither or both we are a little better than that so far
Yards per play is skewed toward more pass oriented teams and penalizes more balanced offenses. YPP should probably be separated between YPC and YPA to look At passing and running efficiency seperately

Top 20 Pass per play is ~8 (we are 8)

Top 20 Rush yards per play is ~5 (we are 4.1)

Again, Against P5 only

Yards per play is skewed toward more pass oriented teams and penalizes more balanced offenses. YPP should probably be separated between YPC and YPA to look At passing and running efficiency seperately

Top 20 Pass per play is ~8 (we are 8)

Top 20 Rush yards per play is ~5 (we are 4.1)

Again, Against P5 only
That seems significant that we don't rush that well yet 78th in ypc against fbs but still rush a lot. It's ok, tucker is good, but it just adds up to our offense being ok. Which is fine with a good defense.

That seems significant that we don't rush that well yet 78th in ypc against fbs but still rush a lot. It's ok, tucker is good, but it just adds up to our offense being ok. Which is fine with a good defense.
Yea, but all we have to do is decide to pass more (like how we finished vs Virginia and Purdue) and all of a sudden our offense looks better. It wasn’t magic, we just changed the play calling to what we are good at.

Instead of having mediocre run and pass would mean we have no way of getting better. Here at least we can go to our bread and butter. And there is no way our rushing stats end the year where they were after game 4, imo.

Also, we currently rank 34th against P5 only vs teams with at least 3 P5 games played. Not as bad when looked at through that lens.

I don’t think our passing offense is intrinsically good, in a sense. It's effective because every opponent is concerned with stopping Sean Tucker as their top priority. Sean is the reason that Shrader and Gadsden are doing so well, imo.

Look, he's not putting up last year's numbers, but #34 is leading the ACC in yards per game on the ground, and it's not all because of Wagner.

Last year, remember, he also didn't catch nearly this many swing passes out of the backfield. He's a better all around back this year, and Shrader is showing his mechanics, with help, are good enough to make all the throws.

The offense is actually pretty good. Not great, but how many past years, even in the McNabb glory days, did we average so many points, and be halfway through the season with such a points per game and yardage differential?