Our best PG is a Forward... | Syracusefan.com

Our best PG is a Forward...

Scotch

Starter
Tough to win conference games that way.

G has been doing an admirable job handling the ball, but we don't have anyone that can get us into offensive sets in the half court, penetrate and deliver open looks. Once teams start fronting Rak, and playing him more aggressively, our offense turns into Cooney going iso. Not great basketball.

We have no pure PGs on the roster. Unfortunately we'll be reminded every game how much we needed Ennis this year

This was our main problem when Nova and VTech turned up the pressure in 2nd half. We have no lead guard. No calming presence to slow the tempo, calm the nerves, and get the correct shot.

Guys like G and Joseph should have eaten up the over the top pressure from VTech by taking the ball to the basket. Unfortunately Joseph wasn't on the floor a whole lot in the 2nd half (though he earned the pine time) and Gbinije just never asserted himself today. I miss the days of Scoop, Dion, Triche, MCW taking the ball to the hoop.

We need our guards to get better (more) penetration.

This was our main problem when Nova and VTech turned up the pressure in 2nd half. We have no lead guard. No calming presence to slow the tempo, calm the nerves, and get the correct shot.

Guys like G and Joseph should have eaten up the over the top pressure from VTech by taking the ball to the basket. Unfortunately Joseph wasn't on the floor a whole lot in the 2nd half (though he earned the pine time) and Gbinije just never asserted himself today. I miss the days of Scoop, Dion, Triche, MCW taking the ball to the hoop.

VT didnt turn up the pressure we just chose to stop making shots and throw it away.. they applied token pressure at best all game.

We are so desperate for dribble penetration. I dont care if Joseph can't consistently finish, he needs to penetrate the lane!

We are so desperate for dribble penetration. I dont care if Joseph can't consistently finish, he needs to penetrate the lane!
Tough to penetrate when guys are playing five feet off you because they have absolutely zero respect for your perimeter game.

This problem will not be solved next year. Franklin Howard is a combo guard, trying to become a lead guard. The only way we improve at the position is if Kaleb gets better. I think he can. I know he will put in the work.

This problem will not be solved next year. Franklin Howard is a combo guard, trying to become a lead guard. The only way we improve at the position is if Kaleb gets better. I think he can. I know he will put in the work.

Kaleb is going to be fine. By next year, he'll be a very solid lead guard who will have figured things out and have a significant amount of game time under his belt.

I know this is going to be unpopular, due to his current inconsistency, but this board in general has an awful track record of evaluating where players are on their developmental curves.

I understand why he sat much of the first half, with the quick 2 fouls. But Kaleb really should have been in the game down the stretch, and not Buss. I really don't understand why JB went so long with Buss today.
Kaleb has shown in recent games that he can and will penetrate and create and is actually a legit threat to hit a perimeter shot. Ron, not so much.

really good post, iommi.

i think kaleb is going to get better every year. he has to. the staff has a lot riding on howard making the switch from combo to PG.

really good post, iommi.

i think kaleb is going to get better every year. he has to. the staff has a lot riding on howard making the switch from combo to PG.
I think Kaleb is going to continue to get better this year.

I think Kaleb is going to continue to get better this year.

I do too. He already has.

I also think the book is out and he is going to see teams target his handle and decision making with even MORE pressure. He needs to continue to rise to that challenge because it is most definitely coming his way.

offense ran a lot better Saturday when Joseph was on the bench. Hopefully that's not the case the rest of the way.

kirbivore said:
offense ran a lot better Saturday when Joseph was on the bench. Hopefully that's not the case the rest of the way.

I didn't think our offense looked good at all the second half.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom