Our Buddy | Syracusefan.com

Our Buddy

cuseguy

Living Legend
Had the opportunity to see Buddy Boeheim play for the first time in person today at the New England Prep Showcase at Albertus Magnus College in New Haven. I’ve been able to see a number of SU recruits there in recent years, including Kaleb Joseph, Chris McCullough, Ron Patterson, Tyler Lydon and the infamous Tauren Thompson. And, yes, I’m quite aware that only one of those players made much of an impact at SU — and that was Lydon, who only stayed two years.

I expect Buddy be at SU longer than Lydon. So I guess I didn’t waste my Sunday morning. Lydon starts at off guard on a loaded Brewster Academy team. Brewster’s roster includes six players already committed to Division 1 programs. Three of them join Buddy as starters — Lukas Kisunas, a bulky 6-10 center headed to UConn; Miles Norris, a slender 6-9 power forward who will attend Oregon, and Isaiah Mucius, a 6-7 small forward who will play at Wake Forest.

The other two Division 1 commits are Derek Culver, a beastly 6-10 center bound for West Virginia, and 6-10 center Nate Roberts, who, as we know, chose to join Hop at Washington after a long look from Syracuse. Bob Huggins was in attendance to watch Culver in addition to other prospects. There is no shortage at this annual event.

I question why Roberts chose to attend Brewster. The roster is stacked with talented big men, and Roberts doesn’t get much playing time. I can see why Hop, SU others liked him. He’s lean, athletic and runs floor well, as advertised. But I can’t see how he’s going to develop with limited minutes. By my count, he had 3 points and one rebound in probably less than 10 minutes of action.

Too bad he’s not a point guard because this Brewster team needs a good point guard. Mt. Zion Academy rallied to beat Brewster 72-68 because, well, Mt. Zion has better guards and shooters.

Buddy played serious minutes and finished with, by my count, 9 points, 2 rebounds and 3 assists. It wasn’t his best shooting day. He was 1 of 5 from 3. He made all four of his throws. That won’t be an issue. The day prior, he had 16 points, according to Donna Ditota, who was there to do a story chronicling Syracuse area kids playing New England Prep basketball.

Buddy has a nice way about his game, much like his brother, Jimmy. He doesn’t force things and plays within the structure of the game. He’s poised and he’s smart, as if that should surprise you. I wouldn’t expect him to make much of an impact next year. He needs to mature and get stronger. But the IQ and everything else is there. Maybe he redshirts next year. I don’t know. But I can see him as someone who will provide a nice lift off the bench as a shooter by his sophomore year.

Maybe he redshirts next year. I don’t know. But I can see him as someone who will provide a nice lift off the bench as a shooter by his sophomore year.
Which means five more years of JB, and not 4. :D

upload_2017-11-19_18-53-35.gif

Had the opportunity to see Buddy Boeheim play for the first time in person today at the New England Prep Showcase at Albertus Magnus College in New Haven. I’ve been able to see a number of SU recruits there in recent years, including Kaleb Joseph, Chris McCullough, Ron Patterson, Tyler Lydon and the infamous Tauren Thompson. And, yes, I’m quite aware that only one of those players made much of an impact at SU — and that was Lydon, who only stayed two years.

I expect Buddy be at SU longer than Lydon. So I guess I didn’t waste my Sunday morning. Lydon starts at off guard on a loaded Brewster Academy team. Brewster’s roster includes six players already committed to Division 1 programs. Three of them join Buddy as starters — Lukas Kisunas, a bulky 6-10 center headed to UConn; Miles Norris, a slender 6-9 power forward who will attend Oregon, and Isaiah Mucius, a 6-7 small forward who will play at Wake Forest.

The other two Division 1 commits are Derek Culver, a beastly 6-10 center bound for West Virginia, and 6-10 center Nate Roberts, who, as we know, chose to join Hop at Washington after a long look from Syracuse. Bob Huggins was in attendance to watch Culver in addition to other prospects. There is no shortage at this annual event.

I question why Roberts chose to attend Brewster. The roster is stacked with talented big men, and Roberts doesn’t get much playing time. I can see why Hop, SU others liked him. He’s lean, athletic and runs floor well, as advertised. But I can’t see how he’s going to develop with limited minutes. By my count, he had 3 points and one rebound in probably less than 10 minutes of action.

Too bad he’s not a point guard because this Brewster team needs a good point guard. Mt. Zion Academy rallied to beat Brewster 72-68 because, well, Mt. Zion has better guards and shooters.

Buddy played serious minutes and finished with, by my count, 9 points, 2 rebounds and 3 assists. It wasn’t his best shooting day. He was 1 of 5 from 3. He made all four of his throws. That won’t be an issue. The day prior, he had 16 points, according to Donna Ditota, who was there to do a story chronicling Syracuse area kids playing New England Prep basketball.

Buddy has a nice way about his game, much like his brother, Jimmy. He doesn’t force things and plays within the structure of the game. He’s poised and he’s smart, as if that should surprise you. I wouldn’t expect him to make much of an impact next year. He needs to mature and get stronger. But the IQ and everything else is there. Maybe he redshirts next year. I don’t know. But I can see him as someone who will provide a nice lift off the bench as a shooter by his sophomore year.
Nice write up. BTW, the Brewster coach tweeted that their bus got broken into while parked at Magnus and all their bags got stolen. Seems pretty ballsy.

Nice write up. BTW, the Brewster coach tweeted that their bus got broken into while parked at Magnus and all their bags got stolen. Seems pretty ballsy.
Wish I could give this a dislike. No wonder they were discombobulated

Good report man, thanks!

I’ve been able to see a number of SU recruits there in recent years, including Kaleb Joseph, Chris McCullough, Ron Patterson, Tyler Lydon and the infamous Tauren Thompson. And, yes, I’m quite aware that only one of those players made much of an impact at SU — and that was Lydon, who only stayed two years.
one could argue that kaleb actually had the most impact of those 5, just in the wrong direction

That sounds exactly like the New Haven I miss so much.

Someone had to go out of their way to break into the team bus. Albertus, as you might know, is located in a reasonably affluent area.

Someone had to go out of their way to break into the team bus. Albertus, as you might know, is located in a reasonably affluent area.

But like all affluent neighborhoods in New Haven, it's four or five blocks from an impoverished one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom