Our guard play is just atrocious offensively | Syracusefan.com

Our guard play is just atrocious offensively

Alsacs

Living Legend
Patterson isn't making open looks.
Cooney is nothing more than decoy.
Joseph has lost JB's confidence.
Gninje is the only guard who can score multiple ways and he is technically playing SF.
3 for 21 is pathetic. If you shoot 25% which is bad from 3pt range we win.

It sucks because we are in for a long year.

Unfortunately it's not an outlier; it's just an awful backcourt. We got anyone who can make a shot coming in next yr?

I did like seeing Patterson playing a lot. His defense looked better (more energy) and he wasn't afraid to shoot. Yeah he missed but he took open shots. Of course that leaves the team with no point guard. Neither Cooney or Paterson didn't look to bad handling the ball but all the did was take a couple of dribbles then pass.

Unfortunately it's not an outlier; it's just an awful backcourt. We got anyone who can make a shot coming in next yr?

Well, here's the deal. I've read recruiting sites that never mentioned BJ, Roberson, Patterson, Richardson, or Howard being elite 3point shooters. But reading here I would have thought BJ shot like JJ Reddick, Roberson shot like Garnett, and Patterson shot like Michael Redd. I guess the jury is still out on Richardson and Howard.

I did like seeing Patterson playing a lot. His defense looked better (more energy) and he wasn't afraid to shoot. Yeah he missed but he took open shots. Of course that leaves the team with no point guard. Neither Cooney or Paterson didn't look to bad handling the ball but all the did was take a couple of dribbles then pass.

At least when Cooney shoots I actually believe it has a chance to go in. When Patterson, BJ, and G shoot I look to see where our other offensive guys are and hope for an offensive rebound.

Our best guard is a SF. G played okay, still can't pass, shaky at times with the ball, and his decision making is still questionable at times, but probably the best of the bunch at the moment. He should do more driving into the lane, followed by that step back jumper. He seems relatively good at that, and he's shown a quicker first step this year. Always wished Triche would have done more of that as well.

Joseph is, ummmm, shaky at best. If my PG is going to be this erratic, I would prefer he be FAR more explosive on offense.

Cooney might as well be sitting in a recliner when we're on offense at this point. He'll have his moments, and as painful it is to say, he may be our only hope. Either he finds a way to hit some shots, hit some threes, whatever, or we're toast. He's clearly playing 35+ a night.

Patterson's shot seems way off, at least he plays some defense, but we don't really need defense as badly...we need offense.

Just 5 points from our starting guards! Can't win games with that lack of offense from the backcourt.

Well, here's the deal. I've read recruiting sites that never mentioned BJ, Roberson, Patterson, Richardson, or Howard being elite 3point shooters. But reading here I would have thought BJ shot like JJ Reddick, Roberson shot like Garnett, and Patterson shot like Michael Redd. I guess the jury is still out on Richardson and Howard.
Richardson is viewed as an elite shooter in his class.

Richardson is viewed as an elite shooter in his class.

Outside of here I really haven't read that. I've read that is he a good outside shooter who can put the ball on the floor.

two3zone said:

This board is a lot of things and when it comes to judging talent or really assessing the game, not a strength.

But at least be fair. No one here has ever said BJ was Reddick. And even if you were exaggerating, that's ridiculous. Not even here could you get a comment like that

44cuse

This board is a lot of things and when it comes to judging talent or really assessing the game, not a strength.

But at least be fair. No one here has ever said BJ was Reddick. And even if you were exaggerating, that's ridiculous. Not even here could you get a comment like that

44cuse

No, I was using a bit of sarcasm, but yes, judging the talent coming in is very very very bad.

He's a shooting guard, and Cooney is the starter, and he will play 30 minutes a game as a senior.
Cooney did shoot over 37% last year. I'm seeing Cooney akin to Southerland. Streaky his first 3 years. Hopefully he'll come around a bit better this year. And next year get to 40% by being more consistent of actually hitting 4 for every 10 over 2 or 3 games.

Patterson isn't making open looks.
Cooney is nothing more than decoy.
Joseph has lost JB's confidence.
Gninje is the only guard who can score multiple ways and he is technically playing SF.
3 for 21 is pathetic. If you shoot 25% which is bad from 3pt range we win.

It sucks because we are in for a long year.
Why is a poor season referred to as a "long" year? It will be very short if this continues