Our "Lottery Pick" | Syracusefan.com

Our "Lottery Pick"

Cusefan0307

Red recruits the ACC!
Is our fifth or sixth best player right now. 2 shot attempts in 18 minutes? I personally had no issue with him on the bench today with Roberson playing so well, but color me concerned. I like the 7 boards and three blocks, but his offense is going backward. He just doesn't seem strong enough inside yet, if this trend continues I wouldn't be surprised if he stays another year.

front line of Rak, G and Roberson continues to be our best bet, at least for now. and yeah, if anything, CM's offensive game seems to regress a little each game

I agree completely with your concern as I share it as well. It's crazy but I remember thinking that we had nothing to be concerned about with our front court as it was just a matter of the back court getting better. Surprise! That being said, I wouldn't paint the picture that his offense is going backwards. For that to happen would mean it's going ground zero. Other than the first 8 or so games to start the season, it has been what we have seen lately - basically non-existent. However, as is the case with this team, I wouldn't be surprised if we see MUCH better play from him as we move forward. He is just too talented to continue this kind of play all year long. Just one man's somewhat optimistic view.

I agree completely with your concern as I share it as well. It's crazy but I remember thinking that we had nothing to be concerned about with our front court as it was just a matter of the back court getting better. Surprise! That being said, I wouldn't paint the picture that his offense is going backwards. For that to happen would mean it's going ground zero. Other than the first 8 or so games to start the season, it has been what we have seen lately - basically non-existent. However, as is the case with this team, I wouldn't be surprised if we see MUCH better play from him as we move forward. He is just too talented to continue this kind of play all year long. Just one man's somewhat optimistic view.
I hear you, but if he does start putting up some numbers again (i.e., scoring points) it's going to have to be from about 12' and out - he's just too weak to score around the basket and seems afraid/unwilling to dunk the ball

I hear you, but if he does start putting up some numbers again (i.e., scoring points) it's going to have to be from about 12' and out - he's just too weak to score around the basket and seems afraid/unwilling to dunk the ball

Very true. Although remember how this board was full of fans wanting to bench Trevor and give the starting job to Bus? Things (and players) change and develop.

Again, I might be in the minority regarding this topic but I'm getting tired of hearing how weak he is when we have had lots of players (as have other teams) with similar bodies be very good. I just don't think it's a matter of him bulking up. The bulk, in my opinion, needs to go to his head in terms of being determined and confident to do what his God given talent has provided. He plays weak because what his between his ears more than what is on his body. Now... will the extra pounds help him next year (whether that be in Orange or the NBA)? Heck ya... but I think it's just a lot more than that with McC.

We have no depth at C so JB has to be careful playing Rak/McCollough/Roberson with Cooney/Gbinije.

McCollough is likely gone no matter how much JB says publicly he is more likely to win the lottery.

I'm concerned. He went from being an offensive focal point to an after thought. Thing is, the offense has improved since his role was reduced. What worries me though is that we aren't doing anything to help him. He rarely sees the ball, and when he does, he isn't given it in a position to do much. It's kinda like when you play pickup with a guy that you don't know, and after you play you feel like he didn't do much. Turns out, the only time anyone ever passed it to him was when he was 30 feet from the basket. We could make more of an effort to get him the ball.

I'm worried the Chad Ford Boeheim pressers messed with his head and knocked down his confidence. He scored in doubles the two games right after that, and has been in single digits since. Coach might have overplayed his hand there.

I know, I know, people are going to say McCullough needs to pull it together and help himself, and he needs to gain Coach's trust in order to start seeing the ball again. But that's a little weird - was he not trusted when he was averaging 14 and 9 to start the season?

I'm concerned. He went from being an offensive focal point to an after thought. Thing is, the offense has improved since his role was reduced. What worries me though is that we aren't doing anything to help him. He rarely sees the ball, and when he does, he isn't given it in a position to do much. ...

I hear ya', but after a while (and it's been a WHILE) when a player doesn't show that he will or can do anything when he does get the ball, what do you expect his teammates to do? I believe this is on him rather than the coaches or his teammates. I also believe that he will get better and be a guy that will eventually earn the trust in his players (and coaches) to get him the ball so he can score. This didn't happen over night.

I hear ya', but after a while (and it's been a WHILE) when a player doesn't show that he will or can do anything when he does get the ball, what do you expect his teammates to do? I believe this is on him rather than the coaches or his teammates. I also believe that he will get better and be a guy that will eventually earn the trust in his players (and coaches) to get him the ball so he can score. This didn't happen over night.
Early in the year he was getting the ball posting up and along the baseline, and playing a high/low game with Rak. Now the only time he sees the ball in a place where he can reasonably score is when he cuts to the foul line.

What else are we looking for him to do? He's a big forward. It's different with guards because they handle the ball and initiate the offense. Bigs rely on people to get the ball to them. We're not prioritizing getting him the ball anymore.

I don't think this needs to be an either/or thing. We're shooting better now. Great. Would having a second post threat suddenly make Cooney and Gbinije go cold shooting?

We have no depth at C so JB has to be careful playing Rak/McCollough/Roberson with Cooney/Gbinije.

McCollough is likely gone no matter how much JB says publicly he is more likely to win the lottery.
you know what, I'm not sure anymore that he is gone. And in a million years I never would have thought that I would be saying that.

I'm concerned. He went from being an offensive focal point to an after thought. Thing is, the offense has improved since his role was reduced. What worries me though is that we aren't doing anything to help him. He rarely sees the ball, and when he does, he isn't given it in a position to do much. It's kinda like when you play pickup with a guy that you don't know, and after you play you feel like he didn't do much. Turns out, the only time anyone ever passed it to him was when he was 30 feet from the basket. We could make more of an effort to get him the ball.

I'm worried the Chad Ford Boeheim pressers messed with his head and knocked down his confidence. He scored in doubles the two games right after that, and has been in single digits since. Coach might have overplayed his hand there.

I know, I know, people are going to say McCullough needs to pull it together and help himself, and he needs to gain Coach's trust in order to start seeing the ball again. But that's a little weird - was he not trusted when he was averaging 14 and 9 to start the season?

He blew how many layups today in the first half? That's simply a function of being a freshman who needs to get stronger. Like a million freshmen before him.

He blew how many layups today in the first half? That's simply a function of being a freshman who needs to get stronger. Like a million freshmen before him.
Considering he shot 1 for 2 and had 1 turnover, I'm guessing he blew two layups? I only remember one.

Considering he shot 1 for 2 and had 1 turnover, I'm guessing he blew two layups? I only remember one.

Depending on your box score he kicked one on a break away. TR seems more gathered than CM right now with the rock.

CM is what recruiting services said he was. Soft with a small motor. I actually thought he played ok today. He rebounded well and altered shots. He was taken out because he fell asleep on defense and allowed a corner three because he was out of position. He loses focus, which is not uncommon with freshman. KJ did the same thing today. I thought Cooney shot too fast a few times today, especially when we were a little out of sorts. He was a little out of control. Being aggressive and playing within the offense is a fine line. He needs to be a leader and not add to the confusion on the court.

He's gone. Look at a draft board, the whole first round of the upcoming draft is a freshman and sophomores. After the top 5-7 picks, it will be all about "potential" except for Montrez, Kaminsky and Dekker.

He's gone. Look at a draft board, the whole first round of the upcoming draft is a freshman and sophomores. After the top 5-7 picks, it will be all about "potential" except for Montrez, Kaminsky and Dekker.

There's about 5-10 Euros that might not be on anyone's radar yet.

There's about 5-10 Euros that might not be on anyone's radar yet.

There is, but really he will be competing for draft position with Meeks, Hollis Jefferson, Chris Walker, Portis and a few others who have also yet to prove they are going to be a stud.

Just a question: offensivly what are his strengths? Mid range jumper?
That's all I really see right now until he gets strong enough to work through contact. He can't post up because he gets pushed out when he gets the ball and doesn't have the footwork yet to make a solid post move. I havnt really seen him put it on the floor and blow by someone. He has had some dunks in transition but for everyone of those he has a dropped pass that would have led to a dunk. I guess being 6'10 and having good athleticism in a combine setting makes him gone

JB using him as the 4th option on offense. Very hard to show a ton or variety when rarely have a played called for you.

Early in the year he was getting the ball posting up and along the baseline, and playing a high/low game with Rak. Now the only time he sees the ball in a place where he can reasonably score is when he cuts to the foul line.

What else are we looking for him to do? He's a big forward. It's different with guards because they handle the ball and initiate the offense. Bigs rely on people to get the ball to them. We're not prioritizing getting him the ball anymore.

I also don't think this needs to be an either/or thing. We're shooting better now. Great. Would having a second post threat suddenly make Cooney and Gbinije go cold shooting?

Why the hell would ANYONE prioritize him getting the ball at this point. We did in the early going and it worked fairly well. That hasn't happened in a while which is why... this isn't rocket science.

Let's PLEASE keep in mind that we both (and all SU fans) want the same thing and that is for the 'Cuse to continue to get better and pose a threat in March. Being able to do that I believe (as I think you do you as well) that McCullough is an integral key in that possibility. However, and this is a big however, HE needs to get better. You keep painting the picture that the team is moving away from him and not allowing him to be the offensive threat that he could be. I think that is being quite naive. HE has been playing timid and not doing his part to be a go to guy - flat out. He is a huge talent - I love what he brings to the table and also love the fact that he wears Orange. However, for now, he is NOT doing his part to live up to what you are suggesting. The problem is not his teammates or the coaches... it rests upon McC and most likely what is between his ears.

JB using him as the 4th option on offense. Very hard to show a ton or variety when rarely have a played called for you.
But why should a play be called for him right now?

Why the hell would ANYONE prioritize him getting the ball at this point. We did in the early going and it worked fairly well. That hasn't happened in a while which is why... this isn't rocket science.

Let's PLEASE keep in mind that we both (and all SU fans) want the same thing and that is for the 'Cuse to continue to get better and pose a threat in March. Being able to do that I believe (as I think you do you as well) that McCullough is an integral key in that possibility. However, and this is a big however, HE needs to get better. You keep painting the picture that the team is moving away from him and not allowing him to be the offensive threat that he could be. I think that is being quite naive. HE has been playing timid and not doing his part to be a go to guy - flat out. He is a huge talent - I love what he brings to the table and also love the fact that he wears Orange. However, for now, he is NOT doing his part to live up to what you are suggesting. The problem is not his teammates or the coaches... it rests upon McC and most likely what is between his ears.
I think it's more believable that we're not emphasizing him than he has recently become a worse basketball player.

It's not the quality of the competition. It's not that he hasn't ever shown he can do it. I agree that it's probably something in his head, but when you're a big guy you need help from your teammates and coaches to get your head in a better place. It's too much to ask, even of a really talented freshman, that he gets himself going entirely on energy plays while playing mistake free basketball. It's not a hard picture to paint that the team is moving away from him - shots, free throws, minutes are all down. We're really, really fortunate that G and Roberson woke up when they did.

I think it's more believable that we're not emphasizing him than he has recently become a worse basketball player.

It's not the quality of the competition. It's not that he hasn't ever shown he can do it. I agree that it's probably something in his head, but when you're a big guy you need help from your teammates and coaches to get your head in a better place. It's too much to ask, even of a really talented freshman, that he gets himself going entirely on energy plays while playing mistake free basketball. It's not a hard picture to paint that the team is moving away from him - shots, free throws, minutes are all down. We're really, really fortunate that G and Roberson woke up when they did.
But, again, why would we feature him at all when he has simply not been able of late to finish around the rim whatsoever? He's just not very good right now and we need to win games.

That's my opinion as well.
Interesting that his offensive production dropped off right after JB made those comments.

In the last 6 yrs or so, SU actually has quite a record of 5* recruits with underwhelming freshmen seasons - Ennis was a pleasant break in that trend.

Is our fifth or sixth best player right now. 2 shot attempts in 18 minutes? I personally had no issue with him on the bench today with Roberson playing so well, but color me concerned. I like the 7 boards and three blocks, but his offense is going backward. He just doesn't seem strong enough inside yet, if this trend continues I wouldn't be surprised if he stays another year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom