Our Magic Number is now 1 over ND, but I have a question... | Syracusefan.com

Our Magic Number is now 1 over ND, but I have a question...

cpatrocks

Starter
So our worst case scenario is that we tie with ND, they hold the tie-breaker, so they would win the regular season title. Marquette is "eliminated" since they can only tie, and we hold the tie-breaker over them.

BUT, what's the tie-breaker if we end up with a 3-way tie between SU, ND and Marq?

Overall Record?
Rankings?
Coolest Mascot?

I think it becomes a mini conference.

As far as I know, the records would be:
ND 2-0
SU 1-1
Marq 0-2

So, the only teams who can win the BE right now are SU, and ND. Marq can only hope for 2nd.

One more SU win or one more ND loss and its over.

I think all three teams can still win the Big East. I don't think the tie breaker goes towards crowing a champion, only towards seeding in the BET Tournament. If there is a tie, they would crown co-champs regardless of head to head etc.

I care more about ending the season in sole possession of 1st place than I do about getting the one seed in the BET Tournament. Given the jumble of teams and the double byes, I'm not convinced that having the BET 1 seed will present a clear advantage. I say that because of the possibility that we face a team whose style may give us significant problems in the opening round regardless of seed. I guess it keeps us from having to face Marquette or ND until the championship, but I don't know that a semi final against someone like Louisville or Georgetown is clearly better than one against Marquette or ND??

I think all three teams can still win the Big East. I don't think the tie breaker goes towards crowing a champion, only towards seeding in the BET Tournament. If there is a tie, they would crown co-champs regardless of head to head etc.

This is correct. It's not like the NFL. The vast majority of our championships are not outright (in fact '10 was our first since '91).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom