Our most important recruit in some time could be... | Syracusefan.com

Our most important recruit in some time could be...

djdan

Walk On
Tyler Ennis. Considering the likely scenario of MCW leaving after this year, if Ennis is not ready for prime time next year, the results could be fairly disastrous. Worst case, a backcourt of an unready Ennis, a reshirt candidate in Patterson, a still unready Cooney, and a questionably-ready Gbinije would give me a great deal of concern. The downgrade from MCW and Triche could be enormous.

don_t_worry_bee_happy_rakhu.jpg

I think Ennis and MG will do good in the backcourt...The pay side has gotten good information on it.

With Grant, DC2 Gbinije, Rak/Fair(maybe both) I don't think we will need him to drive alot. If we had this years scorers around him I would say yes, but next year I am less worried.

Honestly if Ennis can take care of the ball and distribute(around 6 assists per game), we will better next year than we are this year.

I'm not at all worried about Ennis starting next year. Not sure why, but his HS play instills confidence in me. It's all there to see — no smoke and mirrors. No insane athleticism to mask questionable skills. He's not too frail to withstand the rigors. He'll be fine.

And, with Patterson and Gbinije... I'm really excited to see Michael play. And, i trust Cooney will eventually display the shooting he's known for. It'll come over the summer, perhaps.

Honestly if Ennis can take care of the ball and distribute(around 6 assists per game), we will better next year than we are this year.

I hear what you are saying, but 6 assists a game is a lot. Last year, there were 2 guys in the conference who averaged that many. The year before, there weren't any.

But I hear your point; we aren't necessarily looking for Ennis to set the world on fire next year. There should be enough talent where he just needs to be steady.

I fully expect him to be able to get 6 assist per game and less turnover then MCW. I'm a huge huge fan of Ennis because he has already played against the highest competition a high school kid could. Both for CIA Bounce and St.Benedicts. He looks very poised and I'm expecting consistency out of him. His demeanor reminds me of James Robinson from Pitt.

Why the "still-unready Cooney" comment? If his shots fall, he will be ready. None of the incoming freshmen will be ready for the rigors of playing our zone properly.

I fully expect him to be able to get 6 assist per game and less turnover then MCW. I'm a huge huge fan of Ennis because he has already played against the highest competition a high school kid could. Both for CIA Bounce and St.Benedicts. He looks very poised and I'm expecting consistency out of him. His demeanor reminds me of James Robinson from Pitt.

Agreed, that 6 assists is not going to be beyond Ennis' capabilities. He's going to be a pass-first guy anyway. Given the minutes, this is who he is - a facilitator, and someone less-inclined to be considering leaving after one year, and less-inclined to need to put up big points numbers to get his draft stock up.

How many guys have we had average 6 assists per game? Not to belabor the point, but I think it's harder than people realize.

How many guys have we had average 6 assists per game? Not to belabor the point, but I think it's harder than people realize.
MCW: 34 mpg, 9 apg
2012:
Scoop: 25 mpg, 5 apg
2011:
Scoop: 32 mpg, 6 apg
2010:
Rautins: 33 mpg, 5 apg
Scoop: 22 mpg, 4.3 apg
2009:
Flynn: 37 mpg, 6.7 apg

It's all about the PT. If Ennis gets 33+ mpg, he will probably get to 5 or 6 apg; I said 6 because I think he will get that many minutes because if MCW leaves there is no real 2nd PG on the roster (the Scoop/Triche timeshare kind of skewed some stats); Flynn in 08-09 was the last time we really only had 1 PG, and he put up nearly 7 dimes a game.

By no means do I think Ennis is going to come in and lead the ACC in assists, but I don't think Cooney/Gbinjie/Patterson will play a role like BT has

Hmm, ok, maybe it's a little higher than I thought.

He's probably gonna be forcefed a ton of minutes; so I may retract my statement.

Kinda like a averaging 10 rebounds.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Mike is running in a transition half court offense.
Guys like Triche and Fair attack the second they catch the ball. Southerland has a fast catch and shoot trigger. Although he would occasionaly pull up with a man on him. Point being our instant attack offense could raise someone like Mikes assist numbers 3-5 assists per game easily.

012 scoop had KJO/Dion to pound the ball before shooting. As well as Dion finding Fair alot.
011 scoop had KJO/Rick in the midpost and at times Triche to lower his assist numbers.
010 scoop and rautins both assisted lowering scoops numbers. And they had AO, KJO(late in games) and Wes with a jabstep to lower some of their assist numbers.

09 Flynn had devendorf and rautins spotting up on the perimeter. Harris and Rick ran alot of baseline for him to dish to for a quick shot. Those quick shots upped his assist numbers even with his 15 ppg. His lack of midrange game, and being forced to take tough layups could have lowered some of his assist numbers alittle as well(what teams are doing to mike). If he starts making that floater at a 55+% percent clip teams will have no choice but to guard his shot tighter opening a passing lane.

Alot will depend on how DC2/Grant/Gbinije/Fair/Xmas/BJ/Robertson/Patterson attack.

I have no worries about Ennis being able to take the wheel and be effective as a freshman. He is solid all around and is a a guy you cannot play off of because he can shoot. I do feel that if he is our only PG that our play with him on the bench could be a weekness although I'm confident the coaches can figure that out so that we are fine as long as its not against a pressing team.

I expect MCW is gone but if he is back we will be golden at PG with Ennis as the apprentice.

Tyler Ennis. Considering the likely scenario of MCW leaving after this year, if Ennis is not ready for prime time next year, the results could be fairly disastrous. Worst case, a backcourt of an unready Ennis, a reshirt candidate in Patterson, a still unready Cooney, and a questionably-ready Gbinije would give me a great deal of concern. The downgrade from MCW and Triche could be enormous.
:bat: