Our play tonight has sucked, but hats off to Moyer | Syracusefan.com

Our play tonight has sucked, but hats off to Moyer

RF2044

Living Legend
Kid comes back earlier than expected from a high ankle sprain, gutting out a few tough minutes to bolster depth, even though he's still really gimpy.

It's not going to show up in the box score or help his season stats, but hats off to the kid for putting the team first and playing through pain, even if just to provide a handful of minutes to help our depleted team. Team player.

Kid comes back earlier than expected from a high ankle sprain, gutting out a few tough minutes to bolster depth, even though he's still really gimpy.

It's not going to show up in the box score or help his season stats, but hats off to the kid for putting the team first and playing through pain, even if just to provide a handful of minutes to help our depleted team. Team player.

Wish he played more.

Yes, it is.

Per usual, you've given us nothing to think about.
so out of all the takeaways that a person might have from this game, yours is 'hey let's give moyer props for playing 3 minutes'. good lord. if he was still hurt, he shouldn't have played. if he was healthy, he should have played more. per usual, you are posting inane nonsense.

so out of all the takeaways that a person might have from this game, yours is 'hey let's give moyer props for playing 3 minutes'. good lord. if he was still hurt, he shouldn't have played. if he was healthy, he should have played more. per usual, you are posting inane nonsense.

And of all the takeaways someone might have from this game, yours is to split hairs over what the term "handful" means?

Good lord.

I posted it in the first half, dummy, and was giving Moyer credit for being tough, and coming back much earlier than expected from an injury that could have kept him out another week, or more. Not that I'd expect a misinformed misanthrope like you to be aware of that.

The only "inane nonsense" is your argumentative baiting. Go pound salt.

Yes, RF, kudos. But can someone explain what the heck JB was doing? Why play Moyer 2-3 minutes and then not at all after that? If it was determined in warmups that he was good to go, then can someone explain this.

Concur. I mean, I suppose Moyer may have just stated he couldn't get back out there, but we could have used a few minutes. Marek seemed to be struggling a bit.

And of all the takeaways someone might have from this game, yours is to split hairs over what the term "handful" means?

Good lord.

I posted it in the first half, dummy, and was giving Moyer credit for being tough, and coming back much earlier than expected from an injury that could have kept him out another week, or more. Not that I'd expect a misinformed misanthrope like you to be aware of that.

The only "inane nonsense" is your argumentative baiting. Go pound salt.
if he was still hurt, they shouldn't have played him. if he was healthy, they should have played him more because marek got abused. I like moyer a lot, I just don't see the point in going overboard to credit him for playing 3 minutes and recording no stats in a loss on the road against a 10-11 team. I see it as more of a who cares. they should have sat him in hopes he can actually play on Saturday against Virginia.

you keep using personal attacks against me like "dummy" and "misanthrope" that I don't use against you. but I guess that's cool, as long as the powers that be keep giving you your "likes"

if he was still hurt, they shouldn't have played him. if he was healthy, they should have played him more because marek got abused. I like moyer a lot, I just don't see the point in going overboard to credit him for playing 3 minutes and recording no stats in a loss on the road against a 10-11 team. I see it as more of a who cares. they should have sat him in hopes he can actually play on Saturday against Virginia.

you keep using personal attacks against me like "dummy" and "misanthrope" that I don't use against you. but I guess that's cool, as long as the powers that be keep giving you your "likes"

I don't care how you personally define the word "handful," and neither does anybody else. If your point was to split hairs, then that was a dumb reason to jump into this thread..

I don't care that you don't see the point in giving credit to a kid who played hurt because the rotation is depleted, and neither does anybody else. If you really felt the need to dispute that, then you either aren't aware of the relevant facts -- which is entirely possible -- or you're just trolling to argue about something irrelevant. Which, sadly, is par for the course.

Couldn't care less about "likes," either -- very odd comment on your part. Again, par for the course.

Yes, RF, kudos. But can someone explain what the heck JB was doing? Why play Moyer 2-3 minutes and then not at all after that? If it was determined in warmups that he was good to go, then can someone explain this.
I didn't see the game. But my guess would be Moyer thought he was good to go in warmups, but after playing those 2-3 minutes and going back to the bench, he didn't feel right/wasn't moving well enough for JB to put him back in. I'm sure if JB thought he could play he would have gotten more minutes if Marek was struggling.

I didn't see the game. But my guess would be Moyer thought he was good to go in warmups, but after playing those 2-3 minutes and going back to the bench, he didn't feel right/wasn't moving well enough for JB to put him back in. I'm sure if JB thought he could play he would have gotten more minutes if Marek was struggling.
Also, not a bad idea to slowly break someone back in. He has been out and not able to practice. A short stint to give his teammates a breather makes sense to me.

I watched and I'm guessing this is exactly what happened. No idea because they didn't show him on the bench after he was out there.

I don't care how you personally define the word "handful," and neither does anybody else. If your point was to split hairs, then that was a dumb reason to jump into this thread..

I don't care that you don't see the point in giving credit to a kid who played hurt because the rotation is depleted, and neither does anybody else. If you really felt the need to dispute that, then you either aren't aware of the relevant facts -- which is entirely possible -- or you're just trolling to argue about something irrelevant. Which, sadly, is par for the course.

Couldn't care less about "likes," either -- very odd comment on your part. Again, par for the course.
He has a thing for people who make posts for "likes"

Concur. I mean, I suppose Moyer may have just stated he couldn't get back out there, but we could have used a few minutes. Marek seemed to be struggling a bit.

I thought Marek looked gassed. I wonder how much the boost in minutes contributed to his lapses on D.

Game speed is different than warm ups speed.

That was my guess too when I saw JB take him out. Moyer probably convinced them he was good to go, when he probably wasn't. Either JB or someone on the staff noticed, they yanked him and for his good didn't play him again. Most players will want to play no matter what, sometimes the coach/staff have to make the decision for the good of player.

By struggled, you mean posted up and backdoored 4 times by a small guard? Yep.

Moyer looked like he usually does.
To be fair, that small guard is a 1,000-pt scorer who doesn't score a lot on 3's. He knows what he's doing out there and he took full advantage.

Marek, I thought, played well for who he is. For how often he touched the ball 8 boards, 5 points, and 3 (should have been 4) assists isn't a terrible line. He still plays very hard unlike some of the other guys.

To be fair, that small guard is a 1,000-pt scorer who doesn't score a lot on 3's. He knows what he's doing out there and he took full advantage.

Marek, I thought, played well for who he is. For how often he touched the ball 8 boards, 5 points, and 3 (should have been 4) assists isn't a terrible line. He still plays very hard unlike some of the other guys.

I'm well aware who Tadric Jackson is but you shouldn't be punked like that with a 7" size advantage. Marek was fine but defensively he had an off-night. He also missed a few other defensive assignments in the zone.

From a board that usually focuses far more on the negative than the positive, it is surprising to me that the general consensus on marek is as positive as it is. Maybe I should just applaud that. I read less than 10% of the posts so maybe that perception is wrong. I am glad he is here, hope he sticks around, and really respect the way he competes. But I don’t think he belongs on the court at this level at this point in his development given that he cannot shoot (or has been instructed not to, even from 8 feet) and cannot dribble and does not have another strength that makes up for these shortcomings. Yes I realize there’s no other choice at present but if we put players in 3 buckets - better than expected, as expected and disappointing, we have several guys in the first bucket (really the silver lining of this season) but I put marek in the third bucket. At most the second.

From today's PS:

"Due to a tenacious rehab approach, Matthew Moyer is ready to return from an ankle injury three weeks ahead of schedule.

Moyer played just two minutes against Georgia Tech, but the fact he was available at all was remarkable considering the severity of his injury."​

I'm well aware who Tadric Jackson is but you shouldn't be punked like that with a 7" size advantage. Marek was fine but defensively he had an off-night. He also missed a few other defensive assignments in the zone.

Marek pretty much did what we is expected offensively but you're right. When they showed those 4 replays back to back, he was getting abused on defense.

It was weird to me though because he looked pretty good considering the injury.