Our secondary | Syracusefan.com

Our secondary

Crusty

Living Legend
Recruiting mavens, coaches and others out there please chime in. Out of curiosity, I took a look at our freshmen and 2014 verbals listed as DBs. I am a bit concerned, to say the least. The freshman heights are : 5'7", 5' 9", 5' 11", 6' 0" and 6' 1". I certainly hope they are fast and can jump.

As for recruits, it looks like we don't have any verbals yet.

Anyone have anything encouraging?

Recruiting mavens, coaches and others out there please chime in. Out of curiosity, I took a look at our freshmen and 2014 verbals listed as DBs. I am a bit concerned, to say the least. The freshman heights are : 5'7", 5' 9", 5' 11", 6' 0" and 6' 1". I certainly hope they are fast and can jump.

As for recruits, it looks like we don't have any verbals yet.

Anyone have anything encouraging?

We've got Lamar Dawson and Rodney Williams committed, and Williams is a ridiculously good athlete. Both are in the 5'11 range, but I'm not sure if either will end up a CB or a Safety. Dawson is out of Chicago and was an early offer to Mich St.

We're still involved with a couple of high profile florida CB's but those guys aren't deciding until closer to signing day.

But yeah we don't have much quality depth there so hopefully we score in January. All of the frosh you see on the roster are walkons except Scissum.

I do like Reddish, Morgan, Eskridge and Whigham - they'll get better, but we need more depth or guys that can come in and make them the depth.

Last edited:
We've got Lamar Dawson and Rodney Williams committed, and Williams is a ridiculously good athlete. Both are in the 5'11 range, but I'm not sure if either will end up a CB or a Safety. Dawson is out of Chicago and was an early offer to Mich St.

We're still involved with a couple of high profile florida CB's but those guys aren't deciding until closer to signing day.

But yeah we don't have much quality depth there so hopefully we score in January. All of the frosh you see on the roster are walkons except Scissum.

I do like Reddish, Morgan, Eskridge and Whigham - they'll get better, but we need more depth or guys that can come in and make them the depth.

Thanks, don't know how I missed those 2.

I really don't know what to think about the secondary. I do know that Clemson's receivers were as good as USCs last year. They are top end talent. Northwesterns are not but they are a veteran group who runs a great scheme. 3/4 starters from the secondary came back this year as well as Reddish who was a partial starter and Morgan/Desir/Eskridge who all got decent run. Add in Whigham and Kelly and one would think the talent is there. We blitz a lot but it looks like when we blitz we run a lot of zone rather than man. Any time you blitz you leave yourself open to a big play and when you blitz and run zone and someone misses their assignment you get wide open uncovered touchdowns. If you blow coverages left and right then its on the coaches. I honestly would like to see Desir at free safety and run more man with Whigham, Lynn, Reddish, and Morgan at corners. Strong safety could be Esk or Wilkes but probably should be Kelly. Anderson should be limited to games where corners who support the run are more in need.

I really don't know what to think about the secondary. I do know that Clemson's receivers were as good as USCs last year. They are top end talent. Northwesterns are not but they are a veteran group who runs a great scheme. 3/4 starters from the secondary came back this year as well as Reddish who was a partial starter and Morgan/Desir/Eskridge who all got decent run. Add in Whigham and Kelly and one would think the talent is there. We blitz a lot but it looks like when we blitz we run a lot of zone rather than man. Any time you blitz you leave yourself open to a big play and when you blitz and run zone and someone misses their assignment you get wide open uncovered touchdowns. If you blow coverages left and right then its on the coaches. I honestly would like to see Desir at free safety and run more man with Whigham, Lynn, Reddish, and Morgan at corners. Strong safety could be Esk or Wilkes but probably should be Kelly. Anderson should be limited to games where corners who support the run are more in need.

Anderson and Lyn both have the size but both leave a lot to be desired. Lyn is the most frustrating for me - he has all the tools but consistently makes mental errors or stupid mistakes that kill him.

Anderson and Lyn both have the size but both leave a lot to be desired. Lyn is the most frustrating for me - he has all the tools but consistently makes mental errors or stupid mistakes that kill him.

I don't want to throw our players under the bus, but I tend to agree. Wonder how Lyn would be as the third corner instead of the #1.

Nas Howard was recruited as a DB, so that's three secondary recruits committed.

Pre-season most of the boardsters were confident that the secondary was going to be one of the strengths of the team.

Maybe it is the defensive scheme?

Pre-season most of the boardsters were confident that the secondary was going to be one of the strengths of the team.

Maybe it is the defensive scheme?
I always wondered where that view comes from. I always thought it was our biggest weakness.

Last edited:
I was unsure about the secondary before the season started. I thought it might be good although I've never been big on Lyn...some have.

When you get burned deep like we have you have to question the safety. I wouldn't be surprised to see Desir end up playing the majority of minutes at safety.

People love Lyn around these parts. But you're right: freshman mistakes for four years. Frustrating.

The only play we got out-talented that I can remember was the kill shot Sammy Watkins bomb in the 3rd, other than that it just looked like our secondary had no clue what was going on. You'd see them take a guy for 5-10 yards then pass them off to somebody else except that somebody else was never there.

Our secondary didn't have Reddish and doesn't have the luxury of any elite pass rushers in the front four.

This isn't an excuse for them, but our WRs are our biggest problem by far and that won't be fixed this year.

Clemson has some real talent at WR. Rishard Anderson is not a guy that can cover a Sammy Watkins. He really shouldn't be on the field in passing situations.

Does our secondary need help? Absolutely. I think there are some incumbent starters or guys that have put in time that need to be benched.

Let's hope they are ready for next week.

Esk needs to sit. He is a train wreck.

I believe a lot of this crap is coaching or more importantly, a lack thereof. If I were Coach Reed I would be updating my resume.

I don't want to throw our players under the bus, but I tend to agree. Wonder how Lyn would be as the third corner instead of the #1.

Well you're going to find out now. Sucks he's out for the season :( He frustrates the hell out of me but now we're even more short handed.

Esk needs to sit. He is a train wreck.

I believe a lot of this crap is coaching or more importantly, a lack thereof. If I were Coach Reed I would be updating my resume.

Problem is - who do you start in his place?

Well you're going to find out now. Sucks he's out for the season :( He frustrates the hell out of me but now we're even more short handed.

What?

Who's out? Lyn?

Haven't seen anything posted about this--what's the story? [sorry for being out of the loop--been traveling and have spent very little time online today]

What?

Who's out? Lyn?

Haven't seen anything posted about this--what's the story? [sorry for being out of the loop--been traveling and have spent very little time online today]
Out for season (and now career unfortunately)

What?

Who's out? Lyn?

The dreaded "lower body injury". :/

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom