Outside of duty, honor what benefits have SU BB seen from USA BB involvement? | Syracusefan.com

Outside of duty, honor what benefits have SU BB seen from USA BB involvement?

Alsacs

Living Legend
Mind I you I would be okay if it was just duty and honor. However, Coach K has seen Duke become a Kentucky like force in recruiting since K became USA HC. He was doing well prior to to 2006 but the last decade they have been on par with Kentucky under Cal.
I am wondering why our coaches involvement with the USA BB hasn't upticked our recruiting. If I remember JB is the chairman of the U-20 teams why hasn't that been used more for recruiting. We all Duke does this stuff. Mike Hopkins and JB have worked 3 Olympics we should have gotten another Melo out of that.

I am proud our staff represents our country but we haven't the same benefits Duke has. I get its HC vs. assistant as well but JB has given a lot to USA. Are the coaches even paid?

However, Coach K has seen Duke become a Kentucky like force in recruiting since K became USA HC.
I don't think the Team USA stuff makes a lick of difference. I think K just made a conscious decision to go after 1 and done talent. Duke has the coach, the boosters, the cachet, and the national powerhouse reputation to compete with UK and Calipari.

USA bball helps you get your foot in the door but doesn't help you close. Duke and Kentucky (and a handful of other schools) have more attractive pitches for the elite recruits than we do.

That's my guess. Syracuse's climate alone hurts us. The Melo center is awesome but can be/is matched by other elite programs. The Carrier Dome holds a lot of people but there are other small arenas with just as much history that get pretty loud on game days. Our zone probably turns away some dudes. Our location isn't anything special, even for Philly/DC/NYC recruits. Boeheim is nearing the end. NCAA sanctions.

I don't see any one thing that we clearly have an advantage in over the elite schools landing elite recruits. OAD is also something you recruit for. Coach K only recently started cutting into Cal's share of the OAD market because K decided to put his focus there. JB is on record as saying he'd prefer not to do that.

It's probably also worth noting that we've had arguably 2 top 5 Syracuse teams of all time since '06 and at least 4 teams in the top 10 all time. So, roughly a quarter of JB's career here has produced half of his top 10 teams. That's not too bad. I don't know if there's any connection to team USA in there but I know the program has played some of its best basketball ever during the Team USA years.

It's a great honor to be asked ... and even more so to be asked three times. It is pretty hard to say "no" --- just as one never says "no" to an invitation to dinner at the White House.

Obviously, the head coach gets most of the attention (the assistant coaches don't even get a medal), but Jim did it out of a sense of national pride. As he should have.

PS.. The coaches don't get paid. Their expenses get paid, but they get no "salary."

USA bball helps you get your foot in the door but doesn't help you close. Duke and Kentucky (and a handful of other schools) have more attractive pitches for the elite recruits than we do.

That's my guess. Syracuse's climate alone hurts us. The Melo center is awesome but can be/is matched by other elite programs. The Carrier Dome holds a lot of people but there are other small arenas with just as much history that get pretty loud on game days. Our zone probably turns away some dudes. Our location isn't anything special, even for Philly/DC/NYC recruits. Boeheim is nearing the end. NCAA sanctions.

I don't see any one thing that we clearly have an advantage in over the elite schools landing elite recruits. OAD is also something you recruit for. Coach K only recently started cutting into Cal's share of the OAD market because K decided to put his focus there. JB is on record as saying he'd prefer not to do that.

It's probably also worth noting that we've had arguably 2 top 5 Syracuse teams of all time since '06 and at least 4 teams in the top 10 all time. So, roughly a quarter of JB's career here has produced half of his top 10 teams. That's not too bad. I don't know if there's any connection to team USA in there but I know the program has played some of its best basketball ever during the Team USA years.
I highly doubt climate hurts in recruiting. As the elite prospects are only staying 1 year.
The rest of your point is good stuff. I think being in the Northeast helps with the kids in the I-95 corridor.
The key to landing OADs is making your program accessible to their needs. I.E. Playing time, winning environment, exposure on TV.
We have had a lot of OADs so I don't think we don't focus there. As our system gives them the ability to be OAD. Our problem has been our OADs have Tyler Ennis, Malachi Richardson, Donte Green who aren't Carmelo Anthony.

That is why I am hoping with our next assistant opening we target an ace recruiter.

Coach "K" gets a very up close look at how our zone works and Hopkins philosophy.Brilliant move on his behalf to have two Syracuse coaches on the staff.

Maybe we have been getting recruiting benefits from JB and Hop's participation. Maybe, without it, we're not even a finalist for Quade. Maybe Sidibe and Brissett have us one tick lower on their lists. We can all agree it's not getting us the top tier guys, but it could still have helped.

A few things have hurt:
• Constant comments that we play a slowwwww tempo and don't score a lot of points.
JB>Hop transition and uncertainty over Hop's terrificness. We recently heard Bilas talking about being recruited by JB, K, and Lute, and he said he was down to those three schools 'because of the coaches.' He made his short list because he wanted to be taught by the best. If you're a top 20 talent now, that has to be a primary consideration, and Hop doesn't have a resumé.
• Surprises of early defections to the NBA? If you're making a list and expect Tyler Ennis, Grant, Mal to be there in your position, maybe it's too late to get in on good footing with a recruit when they do leave.
• We need more starters in the NBA. Wes is a reserve. MCW has been hurt too often. Grant changed teams... Carmelo's holding it down, but even he's a controversial superstar.

I'm with Alsacs on the whole climate thing. It sucks up there, but like when i chose SU, i had no idea how bad it was... And they're only going to be there for a year.

Duke didn't take off until '11. They had plenty of so-so classes until then (compared to the other blueblood schools). I think winning has more to do with it.

well I think it is more than that, because the coaches get to pick who is on the U18 teams and all that. they are going to pick the kids they are recruiting if they can. it's more exposure to high recruits that falls outside the pocket of actual recruiting. no one could have predicted what quade did, and it is a logical fallacy to apply the lone outcome to the general outcome.

Mind I you I would be okay if it was just duty and honor. However, Coach K has seen Duke become a Kentucky like force in recruiting since K became USA HC. He was doing well prior to to 2006 but the last decade they have been on par with Kentucky under Cal.
I am wondering why our coaches involvement with the USA BB hasn't upticked our recruiting. If I remember JB is the chairman of the U-20 teams why hasn't that been used more for recruiting. We all Duke does this stuff. Mike Hopkins and JB have worked 3 Olympics we should have gotten another Melo out of that.

I am proud our staff represents our country but we haven't the same benefits Duke has. I get its HC vs. assistant as well but JB has given a lot to USA. Are the coaches even paid?
I would bet that if you account for academic requirements for admission (admittedly for bball Duke lowers its standards) and that K expects his guys to go to class, Duke out recruits Kentucky, or is about even.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom