Over the Top | Syracusefan.com

Over the Top

Nick44

All Conference
I think the biggest key; also the most overlooked will be whether Syracuse can defend themselves over the top against Missouri.

Rutgers is a perfect example. With a below average QB, they were easily able to utilize their 6-3 and 6-4 WR's for long gains through the air.

Guess what Missouri has. Exceptionally tall and talented WR's ala Brandon Coleman. Louisville tried this a bit last week and had limited success, but also had much less talent at WR.

Look for the deep ball against Mizzou. This will be the deciding factor in this game.

This may well be a key to the game, but citing the Rutgers game is a stretch. RU completed two long passes (>20yds) on their one TD drive. RUs WRs was NOT why we lost to them - not even close.

This may well be a key to the game, but citing the Rutgers game is a stretch. RU completed two long passes (>20yds) on their one TD drive. RUs WRs was NOT why we lost to them - not even close.
While true, they had guys open 20+ yards down the field that were simply missed by Nova. Best way to counter that is by getting to the QB before they have the chance to get that deep

While true, they had guys open 20+ yards down the field that were simply missed by Nova. Best way to counter that is by getting to the QB before they have the chance to get that deep
We devoted a lot of energy to stop the run against RU and bet on Nova not being able to hit the open guys and when he could that they would drop more than they catch. This has plagued RU all season and is the reason why they are a run-1st and run-2nd team. Our D strategy was successful, save for their first TD drive.

Missouri doesn't seem to run the ball as much as RU, so we probably will play more to stop the pass than we did against RU. I just don't think RU is a good example for this game.

Yup. Need time for deep patterns. Schafer likes to bring the heat to rush the QB to throw to his check down. Will Mizzou be able to handle the pressure? That will be one of the keys to the game.

Thanks. I was going to say how disappointing it was that this thread wasn't about trucking and arm wrestling. Which, for 90 minutes I'll never get back, seemed to go together like peanut butter and jelly.

I prefer Sammy Hagar's Winner Takes It All/Over The Top Theme

I've been thinking Stevens on a wheel after both WR on that side cross deep/shallow. Gotta give Ryan time but I've been waiting to see that play I know we got in there. Marrone has run it a couple times and as I recall Nassib hit one in his freshman year at Ped St. for 30 yards. Just saying. I think that the TEs will have a really big day.

I think the biggest key; also the most overlooked will be whether Syracuse can defend themselves over the top against Missouri.

Rutgers is a perfect example. With a below average QB, they were easily able to utilize their 6-3 and 6-4 WR's for long gains through the air.

Guess what Missouri has. Exceptionally tall and talented WR's ala Brandon Coleman. Louisville tried this a bit last week and had limited success, but also had much less talent at WR.

Look for the deep ball against Mizzou. This will be the deciding factor in this game.

Missouri has been able to do that much all year. 75th 10yds+, 97th 20yds +, 113th 30yds+, 78th 40yds+.

SU is 15th, 27th, 22nd, and 36th at those respective distances.

Their OL hasn't given them enough time to execute deep routes and their run game has been so weak that play action isn't effective.

Could they get lucky likes SBU and hit a deep ball, sure, but it's not a big feature of their offense.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseVegas

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom